1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

anyone ever replace an oil cooler adapter assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone ever replace an oil cooler adapter assembly?

Just trying to figure out an easier way to this. Motor and everything still in truck. I had a crack on the oil filter housing when someone changed my oil so it leaked pretty bad. So I finally decided to change it but can't figure out how to get it back to gether I have all the new gaskets but they appear to be slightly larger than what came off originally. and according to ford and their diagrams this is the correct oring to use. the adapter is back on the oil cooler after having to place so pretty brute force back on but i cant seem to get the other side to connect I've tried just about everything I used vasaline to get everything lubed up nice and good especially since i ripped one of the orings trying to put it back together. but still no luck getting it on. any help would be greatly appreciated. I know its not rocket science and it is kind of embarrassing getting your **** kicked by little green rubber gaskets.

Thanks

Vance

Old 08-29-2009, 08:33 PM
kellens
Mountain Pass
Ive done one before and it took alot of pressure to get it back together. I used an arbor press and had to put so much pressure i was woried about breaking the thing. Just lube up the o-rings well and get it under a press and it should go.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:23 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
That is a beautiful truck Flyboy.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
You should take some pictures of that truck and post them, so we can see what it REALLY looks like.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 AM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
Originally Posted by kellens
Ive done one before and it took alot of pressure to get it back together. I used an arbor press and had to put so much pressure i was woried about breaking the thing. Just lube up the o-rings well and get it under a press and it should go.

Yea thats what the ford dealer said we got the adapter on just fine. but we can't seem to get it on the other side. did you do it with the both sides out of the truck? and just so you know what I'm talking about I posted a picture. #2 is still in the truck is there away to remove it put everything together then but it back together. #5 and #7are good to go its just there isnt any real room to put in anyforce behind it. any help would be appreciated just want my truck put back together.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:46 AM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
Originally Posted by 95_Dually
You should take some pictures of that truck and post them, so we can see what it REALLY looks like.

Thanks man I like yours too. I'm in the process of fixing her up as we speak. I love this old truck. I've wanted this truck since i was 6 years old and i finally got it. So i'll be hanging on to her for a very long time

Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2009, 01:39 PM
kellens
Mountain Pass
Yeah I had both sides out of the truck. I did this on an international truck and there was plenty of space to remove and install the whole unit. I'm not sure how much space there is to work with on our trucks but if it fits it would probably be easier to take out #2 and press everything together outside the truck. If not maybe you could try a ratchet strap to pull it together. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey there Flyboy.
It's been a long time since I saw you here. I hope you are well. I see you are still going to hang on to that truck. LOL. I got first dibs.
Last I saw you is when you were going to store that beast while you were away.
I hope you are back now.

Back on topic, I think if you removed #2 you can get it together easier. I aldso kinda like Kellens idea of putting a ratchet strap in there but it may be difficult to keep it straight that way.

Good luck and welcome back.
Shoot me a PM to let me know how you are doing.
Thanks for serving and protecting our freedom!

Keep us posted

Old 08-30-2009, 09:18 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
I had no idea you were in the service. Thank you for serving our country. God Bless.

I like the truck. Need some interior pics.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 AM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
Originally Posted by kellens
Yeah I had both sides out of the truck. I did this on an international truck and there was plenty of space to remove and install the whole unit. I'm not sure how much space there is to work with on our trucks but if it fits it would probably be easier to take out #2 and press everything together outside the truck. If not maybe you could try a ratchet strap to pull it together. Good luck.
finally got it back together just used a pry bar and alot of vasaline and slid right on there. once I quite overthinking it it slid right on thanks for the help! didnt have to take #2 out seemed like it would have been alot more trouble to get it back together. shes good now with no leaks

Old 09-01-2009, 07:20 AM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
Hey there Flyboy.
It's been a long time since I saw you here. I hope you are well. I see you are still going to hang on to that truck. LOL. I got first dibs.
Last I saw you is when you were going to store that beast while you were away.
I hope you are back now.

Back on topic, I think if you removed #2 you can get it together easier. I aldso kinda like Kellens idea of putting a ratchet strap in there but it may be difficult to keep it straight that way.

Good luck and welcome back.
Shoot me a PM to let me know how you are doing.
Thanks for serving and protecting our freedom!Keep us posted

yea I've just been back about 3 weeks now. just put the truck in storage and diconnected the battery and came back 6 months later and it fired up like i turned it off yesterday.

You ALMOST got your wish i thought id screwed it up the first time i put the oil cooler back together i guess i ripped one of the o-rings when i didnt use any lube. so you can pretty much imagine what happened gonna be flushing the truck like crazy for the next 2 weeks still runs perfect though.

and thanks and your welcome it feels good to be back and I got pm for you on the way.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 AM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
Originally Posted by 95_Dually
I had no idea you were in the service. Thank you for serving our country. God Bless.

I like the truck. Need some interior pics.

Your welcome and thank you I love being in the service just got back from my first deployment. Still think its the best choice I could have made and have no regrets.

Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Diesel_Dirk
Senior User
Very nice rig.
Funny how our taste in toys doesnt change much from age 6 till now...
I see a CB mic cable in the picture. How is the CB mounted? pics?

As for the oil cooler assemly, if ever you have it apart again, I used a barclamp and it made light work of it.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
Man, that is one sweet rig always liked the look of these OBS trucks with the moon visor and the roof lights. wonder if I could still find one of those visors...

Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dirk
Very nice rig.
Funny how our taste in toys doesnt change much from age 6 till now...
I see a CB mic cable in the picture. How is the CB mounted? pics?

As for the oil cooler assemly, if ever you have it apart again, I used a barclamp and it made light work of it.

yea sorry it took so long to respond was having internet troubles but yes there is a console in the ceiling that runs the complete length of the cab. its just some cheap cobra from wally world. because its hard to find something that fits but hey it gets the job done and thanks for the advice.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: anyone ever replace an oil cooler adapter assembly?