Adjusting an Edelbrock Carb.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
bronzeback
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question TorqueKing. When taking the readings and making the adjustments is the vehicle in park or drive and air cleaner on or off? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
0280adam
New User

I have a similar issue like Skipper with my edelbrock carb. My carb is exactly the same as Skippers and I do not know how to adjust the carb either. The car really heisitates when the gas is pressed down-sometimes at take off an sometimes when you need to speed up after you are moving. The car is really hard to start after it is shut off. I seems like it is loading up. I see that the adjustments that TorqueKing recommends adjusts the idle circuit but not acceleration circuit. I have no idea how to adjust the primary metering rods. If your out there TorqueKing I could really use your help. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 0280adam
I have a similar issue like Skipper with my edelbrock carb. My carb is exactly the same as Skippers and I do not know how to adjust the carb either. The car really heisitates when the gas is pressed down-sometimes at take off an sometimes when you need to speed up after you are moving. The car is really hard to start after it is shut off. I seems like it is loading up. I see that the adjustments that TorqueKing recommends adjusts the idle circuit but not acceleration circuit. I have no idea how to adjust the primary metering rods. If your out there TorqueKing I could really use your help. Thanks in advance.
You adjust by changing the springs and/or the rods. The Edelbrock kit is #1487 for the 1406. Complete set of springs, rods, and jets. It's really simple. My squirters were partially clogged giving me most of my problems. While I had it down, I went up to 1 rich on the rods and next to heaviest springs. That and a little choke adjustment and no hesitation off idle or full throttle. A lot more responsive. This may help till TorqueKing checks in.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 AM
0280adam
New User

I hate adjusting carbs.

Last edited by 0280adam; 06-25-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 0280adam
Well, I'm late to the party on this, but I just went through a similar problem. My carb was too lean at idle and too rich at part and full throttle acceleration.

Get the idle mixture dialed in first. Turn the mixture screws on the front all the way in, then back them out two turns. You'll really need a vacuum gauge to do it right. Hook up the gauge and let the truck come up to temp. Turn the right screw in 1/4 turn and check the vacuum reading - if it goes up, then try another 1/4 turn. If it goes down, back it out 1/2 turn. Keep going 1/4 turn (in whatever direction) at a time until you get the highest vacuum reading. Idle RPM should also go up. Adjust the idle and do the same thing with the left screw.

Drive the truck and see if it runs better.

Then try adjusting the accelerator pump - on the front of the carb next to the throttle linkage. Move the linkage to the bottom hole (stock is the middle hole, bottom hole is a smaller pump shot). Drive the truck again and see if it's better.

If it's better but still bogs try dialing in a couple of degrees more timing and reset the idle speed/mixture. Drive it again. If you've still got a bit of bog, consult the Edelbrock carb manual for the correct rods to lean it out a bit more. Rod changes take ~5 minutes and don't require removing the carb.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 PM
custom81
New User
edlebrock carb adjustment

I have an 81 f100 with a 302 with headers edlebrock 600 electric choke and a mid rise edlebrock intake the engine idels great and everything but when I step on the gas really fast it back fires from the carb backfires alittle anyone know anything about adjusting the the carb for my engine the timing should be correct the vaccum port is facing straight. Towards the front

Old 01-21-2015, 01:46 PM
lens54
Freshman User
Edelbrock Carb Adjustments

Hey torqueking,
Saw your post here on adjusting idle mixture. I have a 351w in with a comp cam nothing too radical, headers, and NOW a single 4 bbl carb performer. It WAS a dual quad setup I had it dropped down to a single as i wanted a simple setup. From what i read these carbs are specific for a DUAL carb setup so my jetting may need to be changed I know. But for now.

I just put in new NGK V-Series plug (actually has a v notch in the top of the plug) from the NGK regular ones. I took it for a test drive and it runs smooth, fast all good...UNTIL i punch it. I will describe this hesitate with "hoooopa" ha ha best i can explain. Just a hesitation then it resumes. If i push gas slowly it never does it just when i stomp on it.

I attribute this to the plugs maybe as i dont recall it doing that before not sure. This leads me to this...i pulled a plug after just a run down the block and it is all white powdery on one side indicating too LEAN? So i started looking at idle mixture screws.

I dont have a vacuum gauge yet but i will get one. I tried to do by hear but my cam makes it too loud to hear exhaust from the front end. Is there s certain number on the gauge you want to hit or just looking for the highest idle int then back it off a little from that?

Any input is appreciated .
Len

Old 05-01-2015, 03:07 PM
lens54
Freshman User
Hey Torque You seem like the carb man. I have something driving me nuts edelbrock no help. Edelbrock 1803 Thunder 4bbl cold start issues. Although when cold, the high idle cam is dropped all the way to the highest point, it will not idle high. Tried adjusting the fast idle screw IN seems to make no difference. So have to sit and hold my foot on gas until it warms up. Makes me nuts auto choke not helping.

Replaced Auto choke thought that was it...nope, getting 12v , after warm up idles and runs fine. Just cold start. Edelbrock says just turn in the fast idle screw which i tried. It seems to me when you turn it IN, it prevents the cam from dropping to its highest point where it holds the idle high. Seems backwards to me but tried both ways.

All linkage clean, am i missing something from what you can tell? PS Not sure if this makes a difference but i put in larger secondary jets/rods not too long ago. But cold start has always been an issue.
Any ideas???
Len