Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Elder User

tooldad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wet floorboard

'06 4x4 SCREW 67k miles -> I removed my passenger front floor mat last night to discover the carpet was wet. So, I assume it is coming from a stopped up A/C condensate drain. Have not searched for it yet, but does anyone know where the drain line is routed? I was figuring on trying to blow it out with some compressed air. Any better ideas?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:31 AM
Freshman User

tsd98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an '05 screw w/5.4, had same problem. The drain on the passenger side of the firewall is inaccessable to say the least. I had to remove an O2 sensor to get to it, and it's still a tight fit. I think there is a TSB that suggests putting a 90 on the drain to prevent condensation from ending up in the carpet while moving down the highway. I can't find the TSB, but I bought the part from a local Ford dealer for about $7.00. Since installing the rubber 90 (A/C Drain Tube?) I've had no problems.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Elder User

Looked under the truck yesterday and could not see the drain tube. However, in the area just above the passenger side O2 sensor, the firewall insullation bulges outward (formed that way) as if something is behing it (like the drain tube). If that is it, tsd98, then you are correct about ainaccessibilty. Almost appears as if the exhaust pipe needs to be disconnected from the manifold. Thinking I may take it to the dealer.

My question is, if this is the problem, why was it not a problem from the beginning instead of just recently?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Freshman User

tsd98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My wet carpet showed up at about 60K. Pulled my HuskyLiner mat out to vacuum carpet and there was condensation all underneath it. I had never noticed this before. The drain pipe on mine was about 5/8" OD and made of black plastic. Barely protrudes beyond the firewall, and I could only see it with a flashlight. Cut my hand all up putting the 90 on there.

I assume the 90 prevents moving air from pushing water back into the cab when moving down the highway. My buddy had the same problem with his Chevy D-max. Automatic carwashes will blow the rubber 90 fitting off when they do the "underbody" wash. Like your idea of letting the dealer fix it b/c it was a PITA.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:06 AM
Posting Guru

svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.
The TSB is http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant.../tsb/07135.pdf

The elbow is F3LY-6A614-A about 6 bucks from your local dealer.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
I know this thread is OLDDDDDD but I'm bringing it back up top. Just noticed this weekend that my carpet, under the WT mat, on the passenger's side is damp. Condensation on the bottom side of the DigitalFit mat. Sooo trying to decide if this is one of those take it to the dealer issues or not. I'm thinking that my ext. warranty will cover it and I'll be out of pocket just my deductible.

Anyone want to chime in?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Elder User

Check first to see if that elbow drain is in place. If not, replace it yourself. Really not big deal really. A little difficult to reach due to the exhaust pipe and firewall insulation, but I succeeded in short order and have had no issues since I did mine way back when.

Last edited by tooldad; 09-23-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
If in fact the drain tube is behind the insulation...what did you do to get to it? Cut into the insulation? I do plan on looking around for this...but it's gotta stop raining here first!!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Elder User

Yeah, kinda damp here today too. It has been long enough for me to be vague, but I recall it being close to the edge of the insulation and I simply lifted it away from the firewall. No cutting required.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:28 AM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
also, if you have a moonroof, the drain tube runs down the passenger windshield pillar. so that is another source of water inside the cab right there
Old 09-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Post Fiend

No sunroof here Tylus but thanks for the info
Old 09-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Junior User

fx4pitrone is starting off with a positive reputation.
So that's what it is!!!! I noticed the same thing on mine... every once in a while when I remove mat to vaccuum... I had no idea what the he!! it was!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Post Fiend

I don't have time right now to address the drain issue, but I did have time to pull up the rocker panel kick plate, slide my hand and a rag underneath the carpet and insulation and wipe up any left over moisture.

I then took a piece of 1x2" yard stake and slid it underneath the carpet to let some air circulate there for now. I did find something interesting in this process. There is a rather large (1/2" - 3/4") hole in the metal floorplan just inside from the rocker panel...it was covered over with tape. I took that piece of tape off as this should help with some airflow too.

Hopefully this will air it out some and at least get it dryer than it was. I'll work on the fix when I can find the time. I haven't had the A/C on in about a week since the temps have dropped here some, so that should help too.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Senior User

jr105 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a problem with the 3rd brake light leaking and causing wet carpets in the front. I found that lifting the sill plate and using a small electric leaf blower with the tube under the carpet dried it pretty quickly. The blower tube holds the carpet up and you get lots of airflow. I had to do it a couple of times because the surface of the pad will dry, but it is so thick that it still held moisture that wicks out later.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 PM
New User

PA.Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
wetness solved!!!

I had tried the infamous other three repairs (rear light seal, air cond. 90degree extension, Firewall grommets) with no success.

After a very long time I found that the water was all coming in from the small hole at the bottom of the passenger door seal. Water would flow down that seal into that hole like a trout stream. Water collected under the fuse panel and made the carpet soaking wet.
Stand at your open passenger door and follow the top seal to where it stops on the right side. At the end of the seal you will see the black -round push pin fastener. The hole where this goes into is your leak source. I eliminated the pin, patched the hole and reattached the seal with 3m sealant.
Hope this help out.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 PM