1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another piece of the puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:18 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HD74
Removed all of the old wire harness and started installing the new harness, so far its coming along pretty good, but with just about everything so far more work is involved. Like the headlight buckets or should I call them rust buckets. LOL. I'll have them repainted in the next couple days. By the end of tomorrow I should have the new harness in place.
cool.. ya gonna tease us with tales of progress, and then not show us any pics? methinks you're just tellin stories..

Sam

Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 AM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't think anyone would be interested in pictures of the wiring installation. I'll try and post some later today. FYI some of my other on going projects, gas tank flush de-rust and line, new petcock, new fuel pump, lines and filters, SS fuel log with silver soldered joints, new oil filter and the modification of my big buck throttle linkage. Oh ya the 9 inch rebuild. Theres more but thats for later.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:17 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by HD74
Didn't think anyone would be interested in pictures of the wiring installation. I'll try and post some later today. FYI some of my other on going projects, gas tank flush de-rust and line, new petcock, new fuel pump, lines and filters, SS fuel log with silver soldered joints, new oil filter and the modification of my big buck throttle linkage. Oh ya the 9 inch rebuild. Theres more but thats for later.
some of our less experienced friends shy away from tasks cause they (are afraid) don't know what is involved and don't want to get stuck.. so, its amazing how every little bit we can show helps.. like me on the 9in rebuild.. I KNOW I should be able to do it, did one on an 8.8.. but am putting it off til some other time..

I'd also like to see that fuel log update..

besides.. I like to bug people to tell us what they are doing.. keeps the energy up..

Sam

Old 09-30-2009, 07:48 PM
HD74
Elder User
Everyone know what a PITA it is to post pictures. So for now just check out my gallery under everthing electrical. I've added some before and after/wip pictures.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

very nice.. those 'before' pictures... did oyu clean it, then put it back to old, and now changing to new? Never seen an original behind the dash look that good!!..

I gave up on posting pics thru FTE.. too many restrictions and just not works..
I upload to photobucket, then use [IMG] links in my posts..

Sam

Old 09-30-2009, 09:23 PM
HD74
Elder User
One more part complete and ready to install, a positive shotoff petcock

Old 10-01-2009, 05:56 PM
HD74
Elder User
Spent the good part of the day chasing down a few screws after I did a little surgery on the new throttle linkage the rest I spent on the fuel log. The nice part of this linkage is that it's beefy and should keep adjusting to a minimum, but it made me change my plans on the fuel log a few times.
[/IMG]

Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 PM
HD74
Elder User
Here is the basic fuel log.[/IMG]

Old 10-01-2009, 06:03 PM
HD74
Elder User
After a little polishing some cutting and a bit of bending and a few more detail. Later tonight I'm going to silver solder everything together.[/IMG]

Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 PM
HD74
Elder User
The fuel log is all but complete can't solder the last piece until I install the flattie. I'm very pleased with the results and the silver solder was fairly easy to work with. There in another picture in my gallery.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:15 PM
HD74
Elder User
A little upgrade to the otherwise stock gauge with the addition of a third breaker and new brass buss bar.[/IMG]

Old 10-02-2009, 09:26 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Very cool ! Awesome work! How do you synchronize all those beautiful carbs?

Sam

Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 PM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Very cool ! Awesome work! How do you synchronize all those beautiful carbs?

Sam
The carbs, timing and ignition was all set-up for the run test, but that was at sea level and we're a mile high here. So I'll have to consult with some of are local boys.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:44 PM
HD74
Elder User
Ok finally got the volt drops and installed. I know what your going to say!
Three gauges and two drops. Well these VD's can handle two gauges but not three. Will install the gauge tomorrow.[/IMG]

Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Marty,

Nice clean installation.. The VDs are installed completely correctly...Mind if I make a few suggestions to possibly save you some work or $$$?

First, lets get oriented. In your pictures you have gauges at 2, 4, 8, and 10 o'clock with the amp gauge indution loop being on the back of the 10 o'clock gauge.

First, you need to run a second power bridge from the 4 o'clock gauge upper right lug (where the long bridge comes over from the 8 o'clock gauge) to the lower right lug of the 2 o'clock gauge. As it is now you don't have any way to run power up to that 2 o'clock gauge. Tha is of course unless youare running seperate power wires to each gauge.

Also, I strongly recomment you DO use a third VD on the 8 o'clock gauge. If you want a strong reliable install you'll need a third one - heat is one reason plus, you really don't have any good way to hook these with the bridges and have them be reliable if you have two hooked in series.

Third, unless you have replaced the circuit breakers with 12 volt breakers, you can't use them. The are going to be wattage sensative and at 12 volts if you have an over power they won't kick in until you pass 70 amps through the 35 amp CB etc. You will need to get rid of those completely and use a fuse block (unless, like I said they are new ones designed for 12 volt.

Quick Reply: Another piece of the puzzle