Just bought my Excursion Saturday!!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM
The_Punisher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought my Excursion Saturday!!

2003 V-10 XLT
So far I LOVE IT!!

I will have a million dumb questions (hopefully most will be answered in searches)

Just wanted to say hi

I just got a full build sheet from local Ford dealer.

I work at an extended warranty company so I have a feel for common problems on these.

Anyway hi all!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the new to you Ex! Also, welcome to FTE!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
RideNaked
Junior User
Pix or It didn't happen!!! And welcome aboard!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats!! I agree - PICS!!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE I hope you enjoy the King of the SUV's you will find a lot of useful infomation here on the fourm.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to FTE & the King of SUV club.
Lots of great info on how to fix things, some of which you didn't
even know existed.

All kidding aside, I know more about my first Ford than I did about
all my prior GM vehicles combined - thanks to this site.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:15 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
Welcome x5. You'll love it more a year from now.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 PM
LWW
Elder User
Welcome! PICS!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Nixxx
Freshman User
welcome!! I have a 2003 V10 EB 4x4 and love it. A lot of good information here. Search button does wonders.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 AM
The_Punisher
Senior User
Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks like a WINNER!
Now Think about spending a Jackson and join the Club from the start of your FTE journey.
Become a supporter!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by The_Punisher

Nice........

Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
The_Punisher
Senior User
Thanks.
I really love it.
It surprised me and got 15Mpg on a 106 mile highway run

Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by shorebird
Looks like a WINNER!
Now Think about spending a Jackson and join the Club from the start of your FTE journey.
Become a supporter!
Perhaps 3 Jacksons. You get a T shirt and sticker as well.

A year goes by quick.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Congrats on your "new" V10 Excursion

Not sure if you know the maintenance history on your new truck, but lets go over a few things to make sure you get most of out "Fords Best Kept Secret", The Triton V10. (Those who own one, know )

While on FTE, you'll learn to love your truck as well as how to fix and diagnose any issues you come accross. If you haven't already done so, you'll be crawling all over your truck and "becoming one" with it as you progress on FTE.

The three F's of Ford truck ownership are: Fluids, Filters, and Fuel.

Fluids- Clean fluids are just one of the keys to making sure your Excursion continues to run and drive as smooth as it does. Take some time and check the oil, trans, power steering, brake fluid, and even differential fluid.

The rear differential fluid is relatively easy to check, all you have to do is remove the VSS (or Vehicle Speed Sensor) that sits on top of the differential and dip a long screwdriver down in there and see what the fluid looks like. If it's milky or murky and dark, it's time to replace it.

Here's how to do the rear:Welcome to guzzle's Rear Differential Maintenance Web Page

Here's how to do the front: Welcome to guzzle's Front Differential Maintenance Web Page

People sometimes tend to ignore the transfer case and don't think much of it when it comes times for maintenance. While there's no easy way to check the condition of the fluid, it doesn't take much to drain and refill the transfer case.

Here's how: Welcome to guzzle's Transfer Case Fluid Change Web Page

If when you check your trans fluid, it starts looking orange or smells burnt (instead of deep red), it's time for a flush. You may be thinking, that it's something you'd much rather pay a shop to do, but it's actually something you can do yourself. I did mine a few weeks ago in the safety and comfort of my own driveway and needless to say, I'll never pay anyone to do it again.

Here's my post along with mark kovalsky's write up: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - What did you do to the X today?

Filters-The main two filters to look at are of course the air and fuel filters. Unless you have a receipt or work order showing that the fuel filter was recently changed, I'd head under the truck and change it out.

Per Monsta:
Originally Posted by Monsta
FYI, for all those Excursion owners reading this, your fuel filter in not located in the same place as the pickups. Ours is on the passenger side, in the frame rail, kinda above the muffler.
You'll also need a fuel line disconnect tool as finger quick connects aren't used on this filter.

The air filters on these trucks are self explanatory and easy to check, if it's filthy, you know what to do.

Fuel- Always make sure you get good, clean fuel from a high volume station. Believe me when I tell you, you'd much rather have bad gas than your truck .

That being said, as part of the Christening for your new V10's maiden voyage, head over to Autozone, and get two bottles of this stuff: Techron/20 oz. fuel system cleaner (65740A) | Fuel Additive and Cleaner | AutoZone.com

Chevron's techron additive has worked wonders on used trucks that didn't see the love and maintenance they needed or deserved. This stuff will clean the entire fuel system and restores whatever power was lost due to neglect.

Miscellaneous items:

Spark plugs- If you don't have a receipt or work order showing the plugs changed, it's also a good idea to change them since they're cheap and easy to get to. (save the last two on each side I think) When you go to get some spark plugs you should know that the V10 only likes Motorcraft or Autolite spark plugs.

The platinums: Autolite Platinum/Spark Plug (AP103) | 2002 Ford Excursion 4WD 10 Cylinders S 6.8L EFI | AutoZone.com

The double platinums if you're feeling generous: Autolite Double Plat/Spark Plug (APP103) | 2002 Ford Excursion 4WD 10 Cylinders S 6.8L EFI | AutoZone.com

While doing your plugs, make sure the COP boots aren't cracked and the coils don't look like they've seen better days. If either one needs to be replaced, order the Motorcraft COPs and/or boots online @rockauto.com unless you don't have time and can get them from the dealer. Don't forget the dielectic grease...

Last few items:

-Check the hubs and see if they turn freely. If they don't it's time to lube them up: Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

-If when you crank on the AC it defaults to the windshield defrost, you have a vaccum leak and will more than likely need some of these: http://www.dieselsite.com/1999-2004f...ofhosekit.aspx

I certainly hope the info I've provided will help you and your Ex get off to a great start and help you along the path of ownership.

Last but certainly not least, Welcome to FTE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought my Excursion Saturday!!