Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 f250 7.3L cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:09 PM
WHITE_POWERSTROKE
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 f250 7.3L cranks but wont start

hey everyone i've got a 00 7.3L yesterday i went out fired it up all was fine gauges read good so i put it in reverse and as soon as i let off the brake it bogged and died. i hit it agian it fired for about a half second and down it went again. this is the second time this has happened but last time i just turned it over a few times and it fired this time its been over a day. i tried the cam sensor that did me no good. checked the hpop res i saw oil in it but it was down around were the housing gasket is is that normal or should it be up by the plug? also i noticed there is some white smoke thats coming out as i try to start it and its got a really strong smell to it that about burnt the hair out of my nose. i tried a rag of gas over the intake tube from the filter housing it seemed like it tried to start or it could have just been me hoping thats what i heard but no success there either. the heater bowl fuse isn't blown i drained the filter housing completely poured fresh fuel directly into it put a new filter in and still got nothing. when i turn the key on all lights come on like normal i hear the pump prime the WTS light works like it always has as im cranking i notice the rpms jump up to about 2 or 3 hundred. so now im just lost. any ideas?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
This is probably not your issue....but easy to try so I thought I'd suggest.

Check your battery voltage. If it seems low, try jumper cables connected to another running vehicle. I have had several no starts due to bad batteries yet the engine cranked over like normal. Put on a jump start and the truck fires up like normal. You may get lucky and only have bad batteries.

Good luck.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!

Still sounding like a CPS issue to me. Did you swap out the CPS for a new one? Or did you put in a spare that you had? or what? Although the white smoke points to a glow plug issue. Is she cranking as fast as she should?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM
WHITE_POWERSTROKE
New User
the batteries are less then a few months old and it sounds like its cranking just as fast as it always has i just bpught the cps this morning the one in it was only a few months old but it acted like one so i gave it a shot and no such luck also do you think it could be the glow plugs i eliminated that idea since it started the first time i tried it then just stalled out but its automatic so i cant really stall it

Old 08-26-2009, 02:50 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you checked for codes. That would help a bunch. Make sure you have at least 10.5 volts while cranking. Thats what the IDM needs to see in order to fire the injectors. Be sure to put the probe from the meter on top of the post of the battery, not on the clamp.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:58 PM
WHITE_POWERSTROKE
New User
i was gunna check that last night but my dmm took a dump on me im going to try and borrow a scanner but idk how good of one i can get my hands on if you guys know of someone around tampa fl that would lend me a scanner i would appreciate it but when it stalled i didn't see any check engine light show up. thanks for the welcome

Old 08-26-2009, 03:03 PM
shark1979
Elder User
you could try unplugginng your ICP sensor and try to start with it unplugged.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget to check your oil level. Something easy to overlook but can shut down the truck if too low. Also, make sure you are not overdue for an oil change. Thinned out oil will cause the injectors not to fire.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:40 PM
WHITE_POWERSTROKE
New User
well im going to work now ill pick up some oil and change it see if that helps and go from there.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:04 PM
WHITE_POWERSTROKE
New User
ok changed the oil still no fire noticed the batteries appear to be getting weak the light in the cab dimmed quite a bit this time so i've got the charger on them 4 the night gunna try to jump it off with my dads truck in the morning and we'll see what happens both with the icp sensor plugged in and unplugged. my buddy just got a genesis code reader he's pretty sure we can link up to my truck with it i might even be getting ahold of one myself his buddy had 3 of them laying around brand new so hopefully by tomorrow evening i will have any codes that exist in the computer read and will share that with you, but till then any other ideas would be appreciated

Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
WHITE_POWERSTROKE
New User
i meant to add something else i was thinking about it today i've only owned the truck for about 2 weeks now but while i was driving it this happened a couple of times but i remember it acting as though it were going to stall and then catching itself but this usually happened as i was driving like i would come to a stop and it would do it it did happen one time after starting it in the morning it kinda idled down and then came right back up and every now and then at idle i would feel something in the floor boards that felt like a miss to me not 100 percent sure but i kno i dont get that feeling in the floor board when im driving and its not all the time. but never got a SES light either. hopefully that might help ring a bell.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:38 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

is it auto or stick?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:02 AM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm still thinking a HPOP issue. Try for the hell of it manually filling the HPOP res, and see is it fires.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:07 AM
WHITE_POWERSTROKE
New User
the truck is automatic. what would cause the hpop to go bad just like that because like i said when it fired up tuesday morning my oil pressure shot up to normal. how full should the hpop res be all the way to the plug on top?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

The oil gauge in your truck isnt reading high pressure oil and all of the stock gauges are more of hints then fact.

Quick Reply: 2000 f250 7.3L cranks but wont start