Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Elder User

GUNNERDOG has a very good reputation on FTE.GUNNERDOG has a very good reputation on FTE.GUNNERDOG has a very good reputation on FTE.
Question Brake line size and flare type help.

I was up under the truck and noticed that there is some severe corrosion on a few of my steel brake lines (Boston salt...). I would like to be proactive and replace them before they blow out (probably in the worst possible situation).

The corrosion is worst near the frame rail (around the fuel filter area).

What is the correct line size and flare type for these lines? I will replace them with the regular soft steel lines (not ready to go all stainless)

Any help/advice would be appreciated. This will be my first time flaring brake lines.

2003 F-250 SuperCab V10
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Elder User

WestxSRT10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd go with the same size tubing as factory (dont go larger). Be sure to use a "double flare". http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TQ2XO6/...SIN=B000TQ2XO6
2009 Heartland Sundance 287RL XLT, 30' 5th wheel
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Elder User

GUNNERDOG has a very good reputation on FTE.GUNNERDOG has a very good reputation on FTE.GUNNERDOG has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestxSRT10 View Post
I'd go with the same size tubing as factory (dont go larger). Be sure to use a "double flare".
any idea what the factory tubing size is? Is double flare what ford used on the truck?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Elder User

T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.
Someone told me that these trucks run a very high pressure in the brake lines - and suggested having pressed fittings. In my case I only needed one brake line - so just used the oem part - I'm not sure how this applies to the rest of the truck, or what fittings are used oem. Sorry for not having more info for you.

F250 2WD Crew w/ ISSpro guages, 6637 intake, MBRP 4" exhaust, Riffraff High Pressure Crossover, Garrett Power Max BB turbo, Stage 2 Single Shot Injectors and DP tuner. Thanks to Clay at Riffraff. Update: 6.0 oil cooler, John Woods transmission, etc...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Parts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud of
Gunnerdog, all manufacturers use a double flare on the brake lines.
This gives a stronger leak-proof joint.
PM your vin and I can look up the factory lines for you.

Dan.

(not to be confused with Ed.0

He's my boss. lol.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior User

fishpimp is starting off with a positive reputation.
whats up gunnerdog. where in boston are you? did you ever do the brake lines. i a in the proccess now looking for my brake leak and i will changin lines. while i was doing fuel pump yesterday i saw soe rusted lines.

i am in holbrook ma about 15 in south of boston.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Senior User

MassSupra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kfordparts View Post
Gunnerdog, all manufacturers use a double flare on the brake lines.
This gives a stronger leak-proof joint.
I was doing lines on a 95 Chevy van the other day from the master cylinder to the rear wheels and all the union's were bubble flare. Most lines are double flare but I run into alot of older cars and import's using bubble.

I'm in Marshfield, also about 15 min South of boston right on the ocean and I see alot of rotted out lines from being parked by the beach then driven in the salty snow. I believe the lines are 3/16" and make sure your brake bleeders open before you cut into the lines.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Senior User

if anyone is interested in lending a hand or making some money on a lii side job in MA let me know. i need to tackle the brake issue so i can drive it around and see what else is in need of attention since the truck has been sitting for so long.

how long does it take to replace brake lines.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpimp View Post
whats up gunnerdog. where in boston are you? did you ever do the brake lines. i a in the proccess now looking for my brake leak and i will changin lines. while i was doing fuel pump yesterday i saw soe rusted lines.

i am in holbrook ma about 15 in south of boston.
Hey, sorry somehow i unsubscribed this thread...

anyway, i live in Newton Highlands, just of RT9.

I haven't changed that brake line yet. My fittings are all frozen and rusted, so i haven't worked up the courage to cut them out yet... i did get my parking brakes fixed and i want to have the truck re-inspected before i tear into anything else. I am still not sure what size that line is, the rust makes it hard to judge, but i believe it is 1/4" (for the long one running down the frame rail.)

I figure i will cut the old one out, try to remove it without deforming it too much then i will bend a new piece of tube to match. I'll just flare the ends on the tubing that is left behind and use unions to splice in my new piece. Sounds like a piece of cake, but with the limited room under there and my cruddy flare tool it could take a day or two and a lot of scrapped nuckles and swearing to get it done.

You might be an engineer if ... the first thing you do with anything new is take it apart to figure out how it works.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Elder User

Oh and beers, lots of beers to get it done... Mechanical work usually takes me 2-3 beers, electrical usually takes 4-5 beers (6-12 beers if there is significant troubleshooting).

This is my first hydraulic project, not sure how much of a pain it will be, so i plan on having a full case on hand to get me through it.

You might be an engineer if ... the first thing you do with anything new is take it apart to figure out how it works.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Senior User

small world... i was emailing you earlier about those tires. .... i just got some fluid today going to try to track down my leak. i want to make this driveable
Old 09-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Senior User

my leak is in the same sarea the fuel filter is
Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Freshman User

EricPero is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just did entire front-end replacement (ball joints, hub bearings, brakes and rotors) on my 2000 F350 and when I was turning the truck around to do the rear brakes and rotors, I noticed a significant fluid loss (refilled the resevoir twice). It turns out that the steel brake line is crusty with rust and spurting out brake fluid like a stuck pig. I went to my buddy at NAPA and he said to make sure that I bring the ends to match with the hose and flare tool I need. He said if you don't reuse the existing ends it could be a real pain to get the right fittings (he's had to create an adapter brake line). Just a word of advise to those who want to undertake this project. If the ends don't come off, make sure to open all of the bleeders, heat the ends and spray PB Blaster on the fittings to shrink them. Something I have to pursue soon since the first snow fall already hit us yesterday here in rural CT. I'll keep you all posted on my progress...wish me luck!

Last edited by EricPero; 12-06-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
99, brake, f150, f350, flare, ford, kind, line, lines, size, sizes, standard, steel, thread, truck