Sponsored by:

rear disc conv on 87 bronco

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 PM
vogey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear disc conv on 87 bronco

i was wonderin if there is a economical way to convert the rear drums to discs on the 9'' on my 87 bronco, im gonna upgrade to bigger tires and feel increased stoppin power will be in order

Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's really up to you but the stopping power for rear discs really doesn't get significantly better since the fronts still do an average of 60% of the stopping. Yeah, they work and if you really want to make the investment or really are concerned about other issues, i.e. you plan on a lot of water crossings or doing other things that could aggravate the drums out back, they may be worth the time and effort but otherwise the money you would spend on them could be put to much better use in some other area of the truck. Just my $0.02, take it for what it is worth.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
DerekVS
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bracket swap

A guy in my 4x4 club works at NAPA. He said that the older 8.8 rear-ends have the same axle mounts that the newer ones do on Explorers. So, he said that you can go to a wrecking yard and buy just the brackets from a rear-disc Explorer and swap them to the Bronco after removing the drum back-plates. Then, you can just buy new calipers to mount to them. I didn't get a good answer about the discs though. You'd either have to re-drill explorer discs, or find some that will fit the 5 on 5.5 pattern at the correct disc diameter and thickness.

From what I have read on various disc swaps, if you have anti-lock brakes, you don't need a proportioning valve for the swap. I guess the ABS just handles it. Of course, that's just what I've read, so I can't be sure until I try. It's not exactly at the top of my current to-do list.

Sorry, didn't read: you have a 9". I couldn't figure out how to delete my post, so I figured I'd just add this:

I've seen lots of conversion kits for Mustangs with 9" rear-ends. I would check the Mustang forums here, or here's a guy who claims he did it for $99:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archi.../t-121194.html

With pictures:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=disc

Last edited by DerekVS; 08-31-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: OOPS. Didn't read: 9"