General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The hardest job to qualify for in the military.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:05 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The hardest job to qualify for in the military.

Super Sidekicks For SEALS

<!-- Article Start --> August 23, 2009: Special operations teams (mainly Delta Force, SEAL and Special Forces ODAs) operating independently usually have an air force combat controller along. These airmen are not only trained to call in air strikes, but also act as air controllers (orchestrate the movements of all aircraft in the vicinity to avoid collisions). In addition, the air controllers are trained to meet the physical and tactical requirements of operating with special operations troops.
This is particularly demanding for those air controllers who work with SEAL teams. This requires 21 months of training. First, the air controller applicants must survive the two week selection course. They then spend 15 weeks at the Air Traffic Control School, where they qualify as air traffic controllers. Then they spend three weeks in jump (airborne) school, followed by three weeks in air force survival school (how to get by in a wilderness and avoid capture). Finally, they get 13 weeks of Air Combat Control school. If they pass all that, they can serve as air controllers for all special operations units except SEALs. For that they need another 12 months of training. This begins with five weeks of physical conditioning (Pre-Scuba school), followed by the six week Combat Diver school. After that comes more parachute training (the four week freefall school). Then they go on to 12 weeks of SEAL Core Skills, followed by eight weeks of Mission Qualifications. If they survive all that, they are qualified to accompany SEAL teams on missions, and call in air strikes for the SEALs.

Thanks Guys for your service.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy CRAP, Talk about 2 years of HELL!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
OMG, that's intense. Can you imagine how boring civilian life would be after all that excitement?

Hollywood stunt man perhaps?
Mercenary?
Blackwater contractor?

Tim

Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
My oldest boy is in basic right now for the Army. 11X at the moment. He has mapped out airborne, sniper air assualt all that stuff. I think he may want to go Ranger or SF.

More power to him, it was not for me.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:06 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to mention the language courses, smart and tough.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:45 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep... Sounds about right... The course lay-out and requirememts were a bit different when I did it back in '79.

I crossed trained into Combat Controller and did it for quite few years. I finsihing my carreer as an Air Traffic Controller. Never did any work with the SEAL guys, but did work with other units.