1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Need help with a truck I'm looking at buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:35 PM
HiddenMagick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a truck I'm looking at buying

Ok, to start this off I don't know anything about trucks. So whatever you post you're going to have to dumb it down like your talking to a 5 year old.

I'm moving out of town in about two weeks to a small community, the only thing but I will be still working in the city and my daughter will still be going to the daycare, which means that I have to get in the 15 minutes of town in the dead of winter. This means drifts, ices and snow like you wouldn’t believe in some cases (Southeast Saskatchewan</ST1lace). Now I'm smart enough to know when I can't make it, but a truck will help to make sure that they are few and far between. So I'm looking at this:

2001 f 150. The truck has 230 000k on it. One of the UV joints needs to be replaced. I talked to a mechanic and its 30 dollars for the part. Runs great and body is good to. Call or email me for more information BEST OFFER TAKES IT NEED TO SELL.
<O</O
I've got pictures and it doesn't have any body damage in them. It was in a partial loss collision 5 years ago (I checked the VIN).
<O</O
The only think I'm not sure of is the fact that he says that the UV needs to be replaced and the Check Engine light comes on sometimes. He said he'd take it to a mechanic to get it fixed before he sells it, but I don't really trust anyone so... how big of a problem could these be? I can get it fixed here but I have a semi-tight budget. Is it worth the $6200 he's asking?
<O</O
<O</O
Thanks for any and all input!<O</O

Old 08-25-2009, 05:12 PM
firefighter1416
Senior User
i take its a 4x4 how bout extended cab? quad cab? (4 full doors) big v8 little v8 v6?xl,xlt,lariat? just asking to determine if its a decent price the u joint issue is no big deal, general maintenance item. the seivice engine light issue: this may sound kind of funny but the best cure i found for mine was to take the bulb out ha ha

Old 08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
papajoemrt
Elder User
you said u-joint in the first part and uv joint in the second. do you mean u-joint for both or the cv shaft/joint that is vital to your 4x4 application?

get the code ran for the check engine light and chime back in would be the best thing before buying, find out what that CEL is for. Needing more details here.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 PM
HiddenMagick
New User
Red face More info

2001 FORD F150, 4 DOOR EXTENDED CAB PICKUP, 4.6L V8 FI SOHC 16V

That's all the CarFax free report had, the kid that owns it doesn't know much more than I do. Th kbb.com thing said that an excellent model would be 5500... so... now I just want to know if this truck will last and if its worth that money.

I've found another truck that is one year older for 6000 but with 2WD, and he says that the only issue is it needs a new ABS module.

Laugh away boys but I have no idea what these are. Basically I'm going to find a truck, buy a truck and take it to a mechanic to fix. I'd like to know is about how much they are going to cost to fix, in the short and long run.

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM
firefighter1416
Senior User
hey man not judging at all, it takes time to learn things, i'm a farmer not an acountant because i don;t know a damn thing about it lol........ any ways i my own opinion i would say 6200 is a little steep for for that truck. 5000 would be a little more resonable. the u joints depending on who the mechanic was i would say would cost around 300 to fix the ses light take to an autozone if you have one and they will read the codes for free. otherwise a mechanic will probly charge 65-75$. and then the parts and labor to fix it after that.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
73cntry
Senior User
Originally Posted by HiddenMagick
2001 FORD F150, 4 DOOR EXTENDED CAB PICKUP, 4.6L V8 FI SOHC 16V

That's all the CarFax free report had, the kid that owns it doesn't know much more than I do. Th kbb.com thing said that an excellent model would be 5500... so... now I just want to know if this truck will last and if its worth that money.

I've found another truck that is one year older for 6000 but with 2WD, and he says that the only issue is it needs a new ABS module.

Laugh away boys but I have no idea what these are. Basically I'm going to find a truck, buy a truck and take it to a mechanic to fix. I'd like to know is about how much they are going to cost to fix, in the short and long run.

Thanks!
Trucks are a little different from cars but not much really. No laughing here your never too young or old to still learn new things.
Well for me 6200 is way too much for any truck with 230k on it. But I'd say around 4800 for the 2001 4 door. Ask to see what type of oil the guy is using like full synthetic, synthetic blend or regular conventional oil meaning non synthetic. How well the truck has been kept up maintenance wise the last time the transmission fluid was flushed or changed , whether a shop did it or the owner did it and reciepts if any for work done to the truck.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:05 PM
HiddenMagick
New User
Didn't mean to snap... and that's funny because I do accounting... the last vehicle I owned was a 1993 Mercury Topaz which ended up having a Pontiac G6 go through to side of it... now I'm borrowing my friend's mom's spare car that barely starts and.... yeah finally worked my finances around so I can buy a new vehicle... so... yeah

Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 PM
firefighter1416
Senior User
hey its all fun here........ if you like the truck i'd just offer a little less, you can always work your way up you never know he may accept your offer. If you do make this purchase you can always turn to this sight or purchase a repair manual for help. Good luck man

Old 08-26-2009, 04:48 PM
indcoltsfan32
New User
Im sorry to say, but that does seem alittle steep...I just bought a 2000 F150 with 186k Reg cab, 4.2l Manual 4x4...for $2500...In great shape....Look around for a slightly better deal...Check engine light could mean several things....Unfortunely buying something used is a roll of the dice..