Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

My morning has been made

Old 10-16-2009, 03:23 PM
5.0Torx
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha man you guys are crazy. Maybe my steering is going out or something, or your newer trucks have better on-center feel, but i white knuckle it when i go 80+. Its like zig zagging. Really makes me appreciate the stang, ill tell you that!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:06 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Well my front end has been rebuilt once already. New bushings and all that. When I first bought the truck, the truck was so squirley that even going 40 - 45 mph the darn thing would try and throw me off the road or into on-coming traffic. Me and dad finally repacked the bushings and all that. I drove it for a while like that, too.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Well my front end has been rebuilt once already. New bushings and all that. When I first bought the truck, the truck was so squirley that even going 40 - 45 mph the darn thing would try and throw me off the road or into on-coming traffic. Me and dad finally repacked the bushings and all that. I drove it for a while like that, too.
x2

I rebuild the entire front end from top to bottom. Every single bushing had rotted out. My shocks would even compress and decompress under their own weight. After that, the handling was amazing.
I wouldn't say my truck is "newer", unless you're comparing it to one that's older than an '81.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I know, they say these old Ford front ends don't hold up too well? I can't see a Chebby holding up any better and I'm fairly confident to say Dodge doesn't build a better front end.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
AbandonedBronco
I don't know about not holding up to well. No matter how you slice it, all of the suspension components were over a quarter of a century old when I replaced them. I still did a fair share of interstate and off-road travel on it in that state.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Mine had nearly 200,000 miles.. Of course mine wasn't abused like yours, no off-roading, but still.. I think it's impressive. But then again I can't say anything; for all I know, my front end has been rebuilt before. I'm the third owner.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:28 PM
AbandonedBronco
Lol, my shocks were still oil shocks and had FORD stamped onto them. I don't remember the last time they even made oil shocks.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Hmm.. what kind of shocks are on the market now? Air and hydrolic are all I can think of.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 PM
wazgold1981
New User
this old ford

Yeah had a freind right next to me with a faster speedo clocked me at 101 but i was floored for a while to get there lol. any mods suggested for the fuel injection system or am i just stuck/or should i toss the computer and try to convert to carbed any ideas? I was told that a low pressure turbo say 6 psi would possibly improve mpg to almost 20-22 mpg as long as i didn't race with it, McLearran Racing -- Performance Inline 6 has the conversion but i don't know if its worth the aggravation, would be fun! Was thinking about dropping it 2 inches to improve handling since i dont often haul heavy stuff. Need to replace rear springs and the drop springs are cheaper than the original ones go figure, as for possible mods would like to put a lighting interior in it but that's anther topic all together.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 AM
5.0Torx
Elder User
Originally Posted by wazgold1981
Yeah had a freind right next to me with a faster speedo clocked me at 101 but i was floored for a while to get there lol. any mods suggested for the fuel injection system or am i just stuck/or should i toss the computer and try to convert to carbed any ideas? I was told that a low pressure turbo say 6 psi would possibly improve mpg to almost 20-22 mpg as long as i didn't race with it, McLearran Racing -- Performance Inline 6 has the conversion but i don't know if its worth the aggravation, would be fun! Was thinking about dropping it 2 inches to improve handling since i dont often haul heavy stuff. Need to replace rear springs and the drop springs are cheaper than the original ones go figure, as for possible mods would like to put a lighting interior in it but that's anther topic all together.

You, sir, need to make a new thread. This is thread derailment!

As far as an actual response, I say you better have time, money, and alot of patience! It can be done but youre asking alot of an engine with such a small aftermarket. Also, i would embrace the EFI. For the money and trouble youll go through going back to carb, you could pay for dyno tuning and have the drivability and mileage and power that would allow you the bragging rights you want.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 PM
father/son
Senior User
wow, big blue,

i will wager you a decent cup of coffee (with cream grin) you never expected you would touch off one of the best threads i have seen SINCE we JOINED. i want to make that one statement very clear. we aint brand new, BUT compared to some folks here we are still babes in the wood you understand. okay, we got that strait. the way we were taught, every man has something to say,and all points are valid. unless and/or it becomes clear to the majority that such folks are either just not truly interested or they got some other deal. who cares in the end. the majority rules in the usa. you have got alot of HARDCORE advice already from folks who do care. my root point. truth be told, most of these guys , us included, have wrenches to fit em all. you want to do something diff. spend a portion of your ducketts on a f 300 6. go for it we say. if you do. WE believe you WILL not FIND a better forum for respect and advice.than this site right here period. about us, if you read our posts about the six here its obvious that we have not delved down deep into this particular motor. but without bragging, the princeables are the same now matter what brand or how far you go. you cannot change or defeat basic physics period. unless you know something now one else does. its always possible you know. it has happened in the past.(grin). i personally like 6cylbills point. JEEZ GUYS. alright. i promise you, IF you do your 6 i will stick with you. i am retired, i will research any thing you want free of c. but i would prefer to keep it public so we all learn a little something here. look we all got a BRAIN, lets get together and use em. okay later us. md.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:27 PM
shanes66charger
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The NHRA 300-6 powered car that was mentioned earlier, I watched it run and talked to the driver a few years ago at brainerd MN.

It was several years ago...........If I recall correctly, the head is made of two cleveland 4-bbl heads with one cyl cut off each one and welded together. The crank I believe is a custom forged one-off unit with custom rods, pistons, etc. Carbs I think were one barrel webers bolted directly to the head.

It was one of the sweetest things I have ever seen, sound was beyond kick ***. It was in a rail type dragster and I recall it running right around 200mph (192 is the number im remembering?)

Old 10-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Butl85
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sure it has been said a billion times on this thread any many others. But I'd like to voice my opinion from personal experience.

If you want an extremely durable engine that gets decent gas mileage and gets you from point A to point B, get a 300(but not a feedback year). Its also not bad for towing, I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that you can pull a two car trailer up an icy hill going 55 on the highway with no wheels on the trailer like some people will(the stories are humorous though). If you need to tow a bass boat to the lake down the road it would be perfect for that. I've pulled a camper (pop-up one time, A-liner second time) a total of about probably 2k miles in a 1985 300six. It is a feedback system that has been hacked up. It runs good, but has no vacuum advance. But I will tell you I'm sure an older model or newer one is a lot nicer than the crap system I have on mine. Either way, it pulled what I asked it too, some hills in the smokey mountains and ozarks I had to put it almost to the floor to keep people from running me over though.

If you want something to start up on the weekends and drive into town and put out nice power to get around and turn heads, honestly build a V8 of some sort. Not a 302 for a truck you are waisting your time. But a 351w will really get you bang for the buck. If you want a street motor to play around in build it for 400hp. You can build a 351 to put out 300+ crank HP very easy. Sure you can get a 300 up to 300hp but you'd have to have some kind of crazy love affair with it to spend that much money on it. Unless you just really want to have straight six that is equal to a v8 then why spend the money. I'm not saying that a 351 would be a better engine for hauling, its a gas hog, but if its not a daily driver or something your going to be using all the time then what does it matter. My truck is going to get 351 cubes at the very least and 400 hp at the very least. I have no purpose in spending gobs of money on the 300 in it when I can get way better results out of a v8. Just for info I probably drive it 200 miles a month at most which is one fill up of gas either way I look at it.

I'm probably going to get ran into the ground for this post. But I kinda get tired of people giving the 300 a little bit too much praise. Its a good motor dont get me wrong, but there are plenty of other good motors out there too. If you really want a workhorse get a 7.3. If you want to go fast, build a v8 of some sort.

Oh and to comment on something someone said. Yeah, semi trucks use inline 6's. But comparing it to a 300ci six is apples to oranges. One is 4.9l, one is 12l+. One is diesel one is not, one has a turbo, one does not.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:59 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Butl85, I think you've merely said everything I already did!

What gear ratio is in your 300 powered truck?

Quick Reply: Rebuild an inline-6 instead of a V8?!