Rebuild an inline-6 instead of a V8?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:07 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
yeah the 351 is a combination of 302 and 300 is the way i see it, gobs of low end torque to get you moving yet lots of high rpm ponies to keep you moving, if i were to build a v8 the 351 would be the one

id still rather build an I6 LOL, like i said look at cliffords 600hp 300 I6, probably a 3 million dollar engine but you cant say you wouldnt love to smoke v8s with an inline 6 just to see the look on their faces once they catch up at the finish line

my plans for my 300...build it (not to the nuts but not mild either), something that can go fast and pull hard, keep the 35s moving in the mud, the 300 already does that just fine, all without breaking the sound barrier at 6000 rpm, something still very reliable but a respectable performer, i have been gathering ideas for some time now and it looks promising, build wont take place for at least another year yet though

and the stock head is crap! i agree, even a mild port/polish will wake a 300 and make it much less sluggish, same with exhaust, intake isnt really that bad

The CLIFFORD build, with dual webbers, is 320 hp. Unless he has a new one posted with a turbo/super charger or boost system, 600 hp out of a 300 just ain't gunna happen. At about 200-250 hp you start to dance around the line separating a mild from a wild build, and the higher you go, the further you get from a daily driver with decent fuel economy. But it will sure sound great when you cruise through the hangout.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:24 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
The CLIFFORD build, with dual webbers, is 320 hp. Unless he has a new one posted with a turbo/super charger or boost system, 600 hp out of a 300 just ain't gunna happen. At about 200-250 hp you start to dance around the line separating a mild from a wild build, and the higher you go, the further you get from a daily driver with decent fuel economy. But it will sure sound great when you cruise through the hangout.
I agree, i have a sneaking hunch the block will have stability issues at such a power level as well...

And your right, forget about any fuel economy at that point.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:37 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah if you can make it from one gas station to another without somehow filling up in between id be surprised, but just to point out it can be done..

theres also that old carb 300 I6 in a 50 somethin f100 (cant remember for sure) using a twin screw supercharger he pushes 450hp of course no mention on MPG but id like to see the TQ numbers on that beast

with my build im not sure but i was thinking about shooting for around 250 hp and however much TQ that makes ill be happy hahah the first 100hp of upgrades isnt really hard to obtain therefore its not really a wild build IMO now double the hp and thats more of a wild build HAHA

Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 PM
5.0Torx
Elder User
funny how LS7s can get 30 mpg in vettes at the 500 hp level...

oh darn ive done it again...sorry folks...

Old 08-28-2009, 12:38 AM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 5.0Torx
funny how LS7s can get 30 mpg in vettes at the 500 hp level...

oh darn ive done it again...sorry folks...
here we go again with the ridiculous comparisons. Are you aware of the weight of a corvette? its a 2 seater fiberglass aerodynamic car...not a 2-3 ton heavy *** brick shaped truck. Nevermind the complexity of the ecu controls and the much more precise fuel injection setup... Take your ridiculous comparisons elsewhere. Comparing a new technology ls7 motor in a 3200 pound car to a 4500 pound truck with 25 year old technology is downright retarted.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 70torino429
here we go again with the ridiculous comparisons. Are you aware of the weight of a corvette? its a 2 seater fiberglass aerodynamic car...not a 2-3 ton heavy *** brick shaped truck. Nevermind the complexity of the ecu controls and the much more precise fuel injection setup... Take your ridiculous comparisons elsewhere. Comparing a new technology ls7 motor in a 3200 pound car to a 4500 pound truck with 25 year old technology is downright retarted.
Hey Bud.. when trying to make such a serious point.. Well.. Nevermind.

Can't we all just get along? Even if it isn't a fair comparison we should still welcome it and discuss it! 5.0 obviously didn't think it was an unfair comparison.

I think I've made my own point without stepping on anyone's toes (I hope not! Never meant to!). I'm unimpressed by the 300 in stock form but I do love the motor.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
murph77
Elder User
My apple tastes better than your orange... get it?
Don't consider an I6 if you want to go fast.
These debates always crack me up, and I usually refrain from
responding to them because they all get so silly and off topic.

To the O.P.; if your curious about this I6 and want to pursue it, go ahead.
You'll learn a lot, have a lot of fun building it, and have more fun driving it when it's done.
A gasser I6 doesn't compare to any V8. Apples and oranges.
Owning and driving an I6 is just a novelty, really. It's a good, strong, reliable
engine that will last for a long time. It is capable of any work you can throw
at it, assuming it is geared properly.

A true Ford I6 fan doesn't want to get anywhere fast.
We just appreciate how that motor idling as smooth as silk is
pretty much "The Little Engine that Could".
If you want to enjoy an I6, get all of that V8 hogwash out of your head,
they don't, and shouldn't be compared.

Have fun, Murph.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Hey Bud.. when trying to make such a serious point.. Well.. Nevermind.

Can't we all just get along? Even if it isn't a fair comparison we should still welcome it and discuss it! 5.0 obviously didn't think it was an unfair comparison.

I've never personally attacked anyone on here, i said such a comparison is retarted, i didnt say anyone on here is retarted.

If people want to mix in they're personal feelings with tech discussion then you people have problems. If we were having this conversation in person id be laughing, and its funny as all hell to see some people jump up and down over something someone said on the internet towards them. This site is rather mild compared to "other" forums i participate in. Don't take anything i post personal, seriously. There is no attitude in any of my posts, what certain people perceive/assume is out of my control. I'm all for a good tech discussion but if people want to get personal feeling involved and make personal attacks on one another, then i want no part of it. Leave your feelings at the door when you type in your password and open your mind and have a friendly discussion. If people perceive my posts as "unfriendly" well than thats just too bad. Just ignore my posts if it really bothers you that much. Like i said, i make no personal attacks on anyone here, and id like to think im striving for the common goal on this site-which is to share the facts and useful info with everyone.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:30 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I was actually making a semi-joke. I wasn't jumping on you, my friend!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:10 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Hey torino !! (dodge boy ) Why don't you just go home???? You allways have something negative to say about ford motors , You even call FTE the BS forum and try to get others to switch forums , i think you just like to start chitt , so if were all full of BS , why are you here ???? BTW i think your full of BS !!!! This is not a personal attack , just the truth ....

Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Name:  4511980011_large.jpg
Views: 8116
Size:  67.9 KB
This was the picture mentioned before the bickering. How cool would that be! Who cares if a built 460 makes more power, this 450hp 300 is just plain koool!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:47 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lew52
Hey torino !! (dodge boy ) Why don't you just go home???? You allways have something negative to say about ford motors , You even call FTE the BS forum and try to get others to switch forums , i think you just like to start chitt , so if were all full of BS , why are you here ???? BTW i think your full of BS !!!! This is not a personal attack , just the truth ....
When have i said something negative about ford motors? if this was true i wouldnt own and drive a ford car and a ford truck. Your statement has no factual basis.

dodge boy? id like to know where this is coming from. So owning one dodge that was passed down to me from my deceased father makes me dodge boy? I take offense to this, because apparently hanging onto one thing that i can remember my father by makes me "dodge boy".

Your feeble-minded post just fortifies how immature you are.

Edit:also, if a moderator or administrator would like to delete my account, feel free to do so, i am done with the bull-**** on here. Lew52 has convinced me that this site is not worth my time.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:51 PM
lew52
Postmaster
That might stop the bickering (not sure ) but it looks nice , what RPM dose it turn ??? 450 HP Cool..... Lew

Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp

This was the picture mentioned before the bickering. How cool would that be! Who cares if a built 460 makes more power, this 450hp 300 is just plain koool!
yeah that the one i was talkin bout....sweeeeeet

thats why i like the I6...sure man you got a 250hp v8...well i got a 250hp I6...WHAT NOW! LOL...id love to say that to someone...one day

on a side note...you know what i think is immature...internet fighting and bashing each other and his/her opinions end of discussion...literally (this was not directed at anyone in particular) but there are WAY worse places than FTE, thats why i hang here with the cool guys, we are the the 1950s around here and every other site is like an apocalypse

Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by murph77
My apple tastes better than your orange... get it?
Don't consider an I6 if you want to go fast.
These debates always crack me up, and I usually refrain from
responding to them because they all get so silly and off topic.

To the O.P.; if your curious about this I6 and want to pursue it, go ahead.
You'll learn a lot, have a lot of fun building it, and have more fun driving it when it's done.
A gasser I6 doesn't compare to any V8. Apples and oranges.
Owning and driving an I6 is just a novelty, really. It's a good, strong, reliable
engine that will last for a long time. It is capable of any work you can throw
at it, assuming it is geared properly.

A true Ford I6 fan doesn't want to get anywhere fast.
We just appreciate how that motor idling as smooth as silk is
pretty much "The Little Engine that Could".
If you want to enjoy an I6, get all of that V8 hogwash out of your head,
they don't, and shouldn't be compared.

Have fun, Murph.
Ford "old school" I6s, yes. But the new GM (Vortec 4200) and BMW Straight 6s are quite hot motors. 290+ HP, 6300+ RPM redlines, and still have tons of low end torque.

Quick Reply: Rebuild an inline-6 instead of a V8?!