Rebuild an inline-6 instead of a V8?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 PM
overlandexpress
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been told the 600 cfm carb is over carbureting the 300 six and is more geared for the 350 and up V8 motors, though a mechanic at work says his brother is running one on his 300 six with no problems, I have no idea if he retuned it or not. Most people with the 500 cfm edelbrock say it runs just a little rich on the 300, from the smell of my exhaust I would say thats a true statement, so I would think with the 600cfm the increased jetting size would make a 300 six run way to rich without some major carb tuning on the edelbrock 600cfm.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 PM
jake08
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by overlandexpress
I have been told the 600 cfm carb is over carbureting the 300 six and is more geared for the 350 and up V8 motors, though a mechanic at work says his brother is running one on his 300 six with no problems, I have no idea if he retuned it or not. Most people with the 500 cfm edelbrock say it runs just a little rich on the 300, from the smell of my exhaust I would say thats a true statement, so I would think with the 600cfm the increased jetting size would make a 300 six run way to rich without some major carb tuning on the edelbrock 600cfm.
I might suggest checking the color of your spark plugs at various speeds to check how rich she is running.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:04 AM
caleb_ford
Junior User
Anybody heard or seen or hopefully DONE an HEI distributor swap onto a Ford 300? Interested in doing this to clean up the underhood and to simplifly things. Would love some advice or tips and some how to.
Thanks Guys!

Old 11-03-2010, 06:53 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
JimesRebel, current thread, PM, him knows his stuff. Hit me @ the below email n I can send pic, written directions, but it's all theoretical 4 me, aint done it.

BTW: Why go GM and not ford all the way? All prts R readily avail...

Old 11-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love trucks and straight 6's with all their low end torque. All the vehicles i have driven either are straight 6 powered or v8s. I love just letting off the brake (with a auto) and it will just start rolling. I hate the few times i've driven the gf's 2005 taurus. Thing is a gutless wonder. Sure it has 200 horsepower which is equal to my 91 f250. More than my mothers grandcherokee with the 4.0. The Taurus can barley get up a stupid tiny slope without using the skinny pedal and it should way less than the grandcherokee and a lot less than the f250. I have also driven a ~2004 grandcherokee with what ever v8 they came with. Now that thing hauls *** when you step on not that you have to, most of the time all you need is to just rest your foot.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Onus
I love trucks and straight 6's with all their low end torque. All the vehicles i have driven either are straight 6 powered or v8s. I love just letting off the brake (with a auto) and it will just start rolling. I hate the few times i've driven the gf's 2005 taurus. Thing is a gutless wonder. Sure it has 200 horsepower which is equal to my 91 f250. More than my mothers grandcherokee with the 4.0. The Taurus can barley get up a stupid tiny slope without using the skinny pedal and it should way less than the grandcherokee and a lot less than the f250. I have also driven a ~2004 grandcherokee with what ever v8 they came with. Now that thing hauls *** when you step on not that you have to, most of the time all you need is to just rest your foot.
Hey Onus!

All these automotive commericials scream horsepower at you but they don't mention anything about torque. Torque is what moves your vehicle. I drove a V6 Dodge Magnum and nearly died because it wouldn't hardly get off the line.

I may complain about my 300, but it gets off the line - and I never have to downshift past overdrive on the hills. Most of the time the old truck just stays in overdrive! I won't win any races but I know I can pull your house off the foundation.

Lots of horsepower is nice. Personally I would rather have a truck with a truck engine. A stout Inline Six or torque-minded V8.

By the way, the V8 in your Grand should be a 318. I think.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Onus
Posting Guru
I agree i love the torque. I doesn't matter if it has 600hp if it has no torque.

I just kinda die inside when i hear about the new f150 engines. The 5.0 Makes 380ft/lbs at 4250rpm. That is way too high. By the time your get the driving speed you have probably almost no torque or only equal to our good old engines. I'd hate to wind that thing out all the time to get it to do work.

The ecoboost looks just awesome 425ft/lbs @ 2500!

The cherokee has a 4.7l powertech. I think they are starting to phase it out for the hemi now in most applications but it aint a half bad motor. A boat used to be towed with it. It replaced a 351w bronco that towed the boat and never heard any complaints. It does burn oil, i think it has valve issues.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:03 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Onus, you have to keep in mind the 5.0 is a racing motor designed for the Mustang. It'll move an F-150 just fine though. And, keep in mind we don't know how much torque it's making at 1500 - 2500, it might be making a decent a 250 or 300 ft lbs around there. If that's the case it will be a fine F-150 motor!

That 4.7L is the small V8 that took place of the old 318. I know the Dodge small and "big" V8's have a sound all to their own. I can hear'em coming!

I have driven a number of 6-bangers and small V8's and to be honest, I'd rather just have a big V8. I couldn't tell the difference between the truck 4.2 V6 (drove in E-150) or the 4.6L V8 in an F-150 (single cab short bed). I thought the 4.2 got off the line just as easy.

Each engine serves a purpose, you just have to know what they are made for if you're in the market for one. If I wanted a working F-150 I would want an Eco-boost V8. But, if I were in the market I wouldn't buy another half-ton at all. My next truck will be a 3/4 ton.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Onus
Posting Guru
I'm sure it will be a great motor. I'm like you go big with a v8 though. That is quite sad that a 4.2 and a 4.7 are equal. I guess it being a v8 it sells. I personally find big v8's to be fun. My f250 is the first 'big' v8 i have and it is awesome. I mostly drove the 4.0 Grand Cherokee and its too heavy for the 4.0. Big difference, this thing caries a 3/4 ton pickup like nothing I've seen before. I can't believe they put these in half tons, yikes!

Oh ya they sure do have a unique sound. Just like i can hear a 5.4 ford going down the street without even seeing a vehicle. I can also tell if a truck has a 351w when i drives by. Not too many dodges around here so i'm not used to the sound. Mostly fords, diesels, gassers, and dodge diesels. The big 3 knew how to build v8s back in the day. They used 60's designs till the 2000's. They did something right.

I love 3/4 tons. Yes they cost a little bit more but, everything is overbuilt. Plus the super duties looks much better than the current f150's. I especially don't like the beds they are so high on the f150. The super duties still have a sane bed.

Where oh where did fords styling going in the half tons?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:03 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Onus
I'm sure it will be a great motor. I'm like you go big with a v8 though. That is quite sad that a 4.2 and a 4.7 are equal. I guess it being a v8 it sells. I personally find big v8's to be fun. My f250 is the first 'big' v8 i have and it is awesome. I mostly drove the 4.0 Grand Cherokee and its too heavy for the 4.0. Big difference, this thing caries a 3/4 ton pickup like nothing I've seen before. I can't believe they put these in half tons, yikes!

Oh ya they sure do have a unique sound. Just like i can hear a 5.4 ford going down the street without even seeing a vehicle. I can also tell if a truck has a 351w when i drives by. Not too many dodges around here so i'm not used to the sound. Mostly fords, diesels, gassers, and dodge diesels. The big 3 knew how to build v8s back in the day. They used 60's designs till the 2000's. They did something right.

I love 3/4 tons. Yes they cost a little bit more but, everything is overbuilt. Plus the super duties looks much better than the current f150's. I especially don't like the beds they are so high on the f150. The super duties still have a sane bed.

Where oh where did fords styling going in the half tons?
Well, I'm sure the 4.7 would out-run the 4.2 no problem, but as far as daily driving and getting off the redlight, I didn't notice anything. I thought the V6 did just fine moving that E-150 around though. It wasn't fast, but it moved just fine.

Are you talking about your 351? That is one bad engine. Gobs of torque. Big pistons and a stroke that isn't so long you can't rev it up. If Ford put as many 351's in their F-150's as Chevy put 350's in their 1500's Ford would have been known as the powerhouse. Ford put 302's and 300's in most of the half-tons. That's why all the little Chevy boys think they have something - most of the tree-wrenching Ford boys they've raced had much smaller engines!

Love that 4.0. I drove a Grand with the 4.0.. That little dude surprised me. Lots of grunt. I always wanted an older Wrangler with the 4.0 for a daily driver.

Tanner, I know what you're talking about. I was looking at a Ford dealership (just window shopping - I'm so poor I can't even afford to pay attention). I noticed the F-150's bed sat higher than the 3/4 ton F-250 sitting next to it. I could only shake my head.
Ever try lifting 100 lbs by yourself into the bed of your truck? Trust me, lower is better!

Ford got the engines right, like you said. Most 300's and 302's you hear about will run to 200,000+ miles. The 351's are a heavier duty engine and might not last quite as long but they will usually live a long time also. The 460 was even known for durability - and in big blocks that is hard to come by!

I like Ford's half tons as far as looks goes, but only if they have nice looking rims and tires with the extended wheel well moldings. They don't look good lowered or with skinny tires, though. Used to be Ford trucks looked good lowered, dropped, lifted or just left stock.

This isn't to say I wouldn't happily drive a new F-150 if somebody gave it to me. haha!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
I agree bill,

Ford has always been conservative in the engines they put in trucks. Just enough to get the job done.

Their engines are always good on durability. Except maybe the essex v6. Had one in our 95 windstar. Blew a headgasket nearly right after we got it at very little mileage but after that got fixed under warranty. That engine now has 250,000 miles on it and i don't even think it burns oil.

The 351w seem to get a bit abused sadly, being in 3/4 ton trucks mostly. Mine surprisingly going strong. Always starts up, runs great. @160,000 All I've done since getting it is changed the oil. The truck is rusty but the drive train was very well maintained.

I myself am to poor to buy anything new either. As a college student working part-time i do what i can without burning through my savings. Could i have bought a better truck, sure. But why? My relatives think i'm crazy, so does my mom. My dad loves the truck though, i think he has missed having a truck for the last 15years.

I think they need to fix something with the 1/2 ton height thing. But if i got one for free i'd probably sell it and buy an older super-duty or another 1980-1996/1997 truck.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 PM
lee1964
New User
head bolts

I have a 88 f-150 with 4.9 straight 6 300 can you reuse the head bolts

Old 12-24-2010, 02:10 PM
jfive
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordManMT
F-250 restorer, I hope you didn't polish the intake runners. It's nice to have them rough because it help atomize the fuel better. Polishing only helps in high rpm motors, I thought.

I have a I6 in my daily driver but I'm building up a D0VE-A block and D0VE-C heads for my 500hp 460 going in my 74 ranchero.
You only want to polish the intake when your working with fuel injection. The fuel is so close on them, that you want it to just go fast through the intake. No additional atomization is needed. But like you say for carb. motors, you want it to be coarse, not rough. If you port it, just don't polish it. Do however polish the exhaust. You want the exhaust out as fast as possible.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:00 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year n a third n 164 posts...it still lives!
Guess we like a six...

Happy Holidaze!

Old 12-24-2010, 09:13 PM
jake08
Elder User
Six's is good!

Quick Reply: Rebuild an inline-6 instead of a V8?!