1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 F250, is this color evidence of a repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:35 PM
66 BADBOY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 F250, is this color evidence of a repaint?

Hey guys,

Found a truck for sale, and I'm wondering if you can take a look at the pic and tell me something. Did the two tone trucks come with the front bumper painted, or in chrome? I can only remember seeing chrome on other trucks. I saw this one, and something looked weird to me, then I realized the front bumper was painted grey to match the lower body color. Is this done from the factory?

Or did someone paint this bumper?

Thanks!!

Old 08-23-2009, 03:07 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not factory, could be a repaint or could be just somebody did the bumper, although you would think they would have done the rear as well if they were doing that.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 PM
ttb29
Junior User
It looks good just my 2 cents.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:16 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

I also think it looks good

Old 08-23-2009, 03:55 PM
dcd
Freshman User
It is definitely factory. In 2006, the XLT two-tones had a painted front bumper while the lariats were chrome. I had an 06 F250 Lariat two-tone that I bought new and I remember noticing the difference in the front bumpers between the two-tone lariats and xlts on the lot.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:19 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Originally Posted by dcd
It is definitely factory. In 2006, the XLT two-tones had a painted front bumper while the lariats were chrome. I had an 06 F250 Lariat two-tone that I bought new and I remember noticing the difference in the front bumpers between the two-tone lariats and xlts on the lot.
+1. You don't see it very often, but it is factory.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:57 PM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That's odd the way they did that. I did an autotrader search for '06 XLTs. Almost all of the two-tone trucks had the painted bunper while the solid colored trucks had the chrome bumper. Makes ya go...hmmm.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen them many different ways. While that looks good now, I cringe at the thought of bugs, and stone chips.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:28 PM
66 BADBOY
Senior User
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Glad to see it's a factory thing. I agree with you Mustang, could be ugly after a while.............how easy is it to find chrome bumpers? Any idea on a price?

Other than that, I think the truck looks pretty good. Just wish we still had access to Oasis reports!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 06:26 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Just get it powder coated that colour, my black is still nice although I wish it was glossy so I will be getting it done again. I've never seen the painted bumpers up here,

Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a factory option, my 05 has it, and as I recall it was about $300 on the window sticker. After 4 years I hate it, I'll never buy a truck with painted steel bumpers again. My rear bumper has rusted like crazy, and the front isn't far behind... I've replaced my rear bumper with a stainless unit, and have been on the lookout for a deal on a front chrome replacement. In southern states without the road salt it wouldn't be so bad...

BTW. XLT and Lariat both defaulted to chrome bumpers and grille, if you look at the window sticker for that truck you'll see the painted bumpers were an option. Only other way would have been with the XLT sport package, which would have painted bumpers, body color grille, leather, and diesel (couldn't get an XLT sport with a gas engine).

Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 PM
66 BADBOY
Senior User
Originally Posted by wizardsr
It's a factory option, my 05 has it, and as I recall it was about $300 on the window sticker. After 4 years I hate it, I'll never buy a truck with painted steel bumpers again. My rear bumper has rusted like crazy, and the front isn't far behind... I've replaced my rear bumper with a stainless unit, and have been on the lookout for a deal on a front chrome replacement. In southern states without the road salt it wouldn't be so bad...

BTW. XLT and Lariat both defaulted to chrome bumpers and grille, if you look at the window sticker for that truck you'll see the painted bumpers were an option. Only other way would have been with the XLT sport package, which would have painted bumpers, body color grille, leather, and diesel (couldn't get an XLT sport with a gas engine).

Thanks for the post. I originally thought only the front bumper was painted, but after looking at some other pics, I see that they are both painted. At least that clears my mind that something was done to the truck (repaint, accident, etc).

Thanks!!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
Thanks for the post. I originally thought only the front bumper was painted, but after looking at some other pics, I see that they are both painted. At least that clears my mind that something was done to the truck (repaint, accident, etc).

Thanks!!
Yeah, I wouldn't suspect a repaint, pretty common for them to be ordered that way with the two tone. I agree, both bumpers are painted on that truck. IMO, chrome woud look better on a white and gray truck, but that could be just me.

Originally Posted by dcd
Just to clarify, I believe this statement is partially incorrect. XLT and Lariat had chrome bumpers, regardless of two tone or not. Only way they had the two tone style bumpers is if the option box was checked. It was and still is pretty common to see the painted bumpers with the two-tone paint; the option boxes are usuay checked together because they look good together depending on the colors. With some colors, they'd be better off leaving them chrome, but different strokes for different folks I guess...

Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 PM
66 BADBOY
Senior User
Originally Posted by wizardsr
IMO, chrome woud look better on a white and gray truck, but that could be just me.
Well, we share the same opinion!! Just wondering how hard and expensive it will be to find a set of nice used chromers?

Old 08-23-2009, 10:30 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
Well, we share the same opinion!! Just wondering how hard and expensive it will be to find a set of nice used chromers?
Rears are easy, they're all the same from 99-07...

Fronts are tough, because the chrome is far more desireable, and that particular bumper was only used on 05-07 superduties. I've been watching craigslist locally and have yet to see a Chrome one pop up, have seen quite a few painted ones. Likewise on ebay, they're few and far between, and of the ones I've seen, most are either damaged or cost more than new by the time you pay shipping... If I dont find a good one by spring, I'll probably give in and get one from the dealer...

Quick Reply: 06 F250, is this color evidence of a repaint?