Help Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:14 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Help Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(&^&)&_)^&^^% Ranger!

3 times in the last month the wifes 87 Ranger has quit her an hour from home. Damn new rigs.............Every time I went to pick her up the damn truck would start right up and run fine all the way home. I replaced the fuel pump, and the TFI ignition module and it ran fine for me. Today she took it to Hermiston ( 80 miles away) and it ran fine there and back. Untill she got to my driveway, when it quit again! This time I was home when it happened and ran some tests. Turns out the fuel pump was not running. Every time I tried to start it the fuel pump would not come on. 30 min later I turned the key and the fuel pump started and the truck started right up...............I'm assuming the "roll over" switch may be going bad, but I have no idea where it is. Any Idea where to look for it, or any other things to look at? HELP!!!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Never fear, Ranger help is here..............The inertia switch is usually under the carpet on the pass. side either near the kick panel or the trans hump...........However, I fear its just the in tank fuel pumps way of telling you, its on the way out. Next time it quits, smack the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet under the front end of tank. If it comes on, get ready to drop the tank................Not as bad a job as it sounds. PM me if it keeps troubling you.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
This 87 has the fuel pump inside the frame rail, and I've already replaced it. Does it also have an intank pump too?????

Old 09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
This 87 has the fuel pump inside the frame rail, and I've already replaced it. Does it also have an intank pump too?????
You have a 2.9 v6 right?.................Try the FPR ( fuel pressure regulator) on the fuel rail on the motor, I forgot the 2.9 has external electric fuel pump. To replace the FPR, remove the gas cap and trip the inertia switch, run until it runs out of gas then you can remove the FPR without taking a gas bath. The FPR looks like a silver vacuum accessory sitting on the fuel rail attached with 3 bolts....................That would be my next guess at a culprit.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:48 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it have a fuel pump relay, the one in my Taurus went bad it would run and quit at any given time. What I did was ran a lead from the fuse box, keyed port, to teh up side of the roll over switch. That way the switch still is in play. It has been running that way for about 5 years now. The only differance wired this way is that when the key is first turned on, you have to give it 1-2 secs. to pump up the pressure in the fuel rail.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:04 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Old93junk
You have a 2.9 v6 right?.................Try the FPR ( fuel pressure regulator) on the fuel rail on the motor, I forgot the 2.9 has external electric fuel pump. To replace the FPR, remove the gas cap and trip the inertia switch, run until it runs out of gas then you can remove the FPR without taking a gas bath. The FPR looks like a silver vacuum accessory sitting on the fuel rail attached with 3 bolts....................That would be my next guess at a culprit.
The FPR shouldn't have anything to do with the pump not running.......................When I checked it last night the pump would not run when the key was turned on.

I think I may have figured it out. The only time this has happened is when my wife drove the car. My son and I have been driving it with no problems.

We take care of my mother-in-law (she has alzheimer's) and when my wife went somewhere she always takes her mother with her. With Dave's help I found the "roll over" switch under the carpet right where her mother puts her left foot. I think she was hitting the switch accidently with her foot!

I bypassed the switch this morning and took it for a long test drive. Seems to be working fine. We'll see.................................

Old 09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Outstanding, Don!..........There should be enough wire to relocate the switch slightly so no one hits it again................Keep us posted.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Ya, I moved the wires well away from any more feet.............

My brother-in-law is comming down from Tacoma this weekend with his 20' flatbed trailer to help move more "treasures" to my new place and is bringing a new computer for the 96 F-150. He actually found one at his local Ford dealer for $154!

If the new computer won't fix it, the damn thing it is getting a carb and std ign put in it! I've got ton's of 302 parts.............

Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Thats great, Don!........Feels good to get ALL the rigs running, I hate having one "problem child" sitting in the yard.........$154.00 is a great price for new. When you install the new one, leave the key on for 10 sec. before attempting to start, I hear it allows it to fully boot-up. Let it idle for 8-10 minutes after the first successful start-up, then drive like normal.