1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need a commerical liscense.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by chester8420
Yes you can! You can also rent a semi truck and trailer, (to haul dirt, trees, freight, etc) and drive it legally without a CDL! Now if you borrow your friend's truck and haul dirt for your neighbor, THEN you need a CDL!
Very interesting how Ryder and Penske won't rent you a CDL-class truck without a DOT number...

Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chester8420
Yes you can! You can also rent a semi truck and trailer, (to haul dirt, trees, freight, etc) and drive it legally without a CDL! Now if you borrow your friend's truck and haul dirt for your neighbor, THEN you need a CDL!
The problem with this is no one is going to rent you a truck without the proper license to drive such truck and a copy of your complete insurance policy covering such a truck. You can't just rent a class 8 truck with a class C license.

As far as borrowing the friend's dumptruck, only an idiot would loan one to someone without a CDL. Can you imagine what would happen if the truck was wrecked and a non CDL holder, non employee was at fault? Most commercial policies prohibit anyone except employees that have been approved by the insurance companies from driving such trucks.

I know personally drivers that had to be taken off of trucks due to the insurance company prohibiting them from driving due to violations.

If you get stopped in N.C. in a commercially registered truck, you better have a CDL and a medical card in your pocket.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:23 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Nope. All of our corn, wheat, soybeans, etc. are hauled to sale, and it's legal. Now if I was gonna haul corn for somebody else, it would not be "non-commercial", and I would need a CDL. It has to do with getting paid to haul it. Even if it's just reimbursement of costs that would be considered commercial.

The only "farm" specific exception to the laws that I know of is that farm employees are ALSO exempt from having to have CDL's even though they don't own the crop being hauled and they get paid to haul it.
it appears I nailed it from the get go... Ag. Exemptions

farm owned truck hauling for said farm = Exempt hauling from farm to market.

The difference is that you're not selling the use of the truck, only the contents.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:34 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
farm owned truck hauling for said farm = Exempt hauling from farm to market.
The key phrase here being "farm owned truck"

When growing up here in N.C.I used to see tractor/ trailers all the time owned by farms with farm tags on them. I haven't seen one in years though. I guess now it's cheaper just to hire someone to haul the goods to market.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
chester8420
Cross-Country
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Very interesting how Ryder and Penske won't rent you a CDL-class truck without a DOT number...
Yes they will. We rented a trailer from Ryder in Albany last year. They still call us wanting to rent stuff. (including tractors)

Originally Posted by FordxFour
As far as borrowing the friend's dumptruck, only an idiot would loan one to someone without a CDL. Can you imagine what would happen if the truck was wrecked and a non CDL holder, non employee was at fault? Most commercial policies prohibit anyone except employees that have been approved by the insurance companies from driving such trucks.
Well, as I said several times, you don't need a CDL to drive one! You can go buy, rent or borrow a dumptruck and use it all day long with a standard class A lisence. NO CDL REQUIRED!!! And when you borrow equipment like that it goes on YOUR policy! (I know most folks don't know how commercial insurance plans work, but all it takes is a phone call to the insurance agent to get (borrowed) stuff covered)

If you get stopped in N.C. in a commercially registered truck, you better have a CDL and a medical card in your pocket.
Not if you are using it for non-commercial use. Then you only need your driver's lisence........ This is getting old:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/chapter1/typesLicenses.html#Classified

How many times do I have to say it. You do not have to have a CDL to drive semi trucks. You only need one if you are doing it for hire/money/compensation. No reason to keep arguing with me. I don't have a CDL, and I have been listed as a class A driver on our insurance policy since I was 18 yrs old!!

I'm through with this discussion. There's a few people in this thread that don't have a clue what they are talking about. And they will argue with somebody that actually drives a truck, has the lisence, and links to their own state's DOT websites!!

Last edited by chester8420; 08-27-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: I said some rude stuff, and that's not nice. Just trying to help get the facts out, not hurt people's feelings.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:22 PM
sideshow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chester, thanks for posting that link to the NCDMV. I had looked all over that site but couldn't find that for some reason (the website isn't the most user friendly). I see what you are saying now. I think the confusion (on my behalf and probably most others) is the semantics with "CDL" and "Class A". Heck, even the geniuses at our local DMV said I'd need a "CDL" for such usage. Most associate the two together, since I'd venture to say that most who have a Class A have the CDL variety.

However, you said earlier that there was not driving test different for the class A, but looking at the NCDMV website it leads me to believe that there is a skills test regardless if it is CDL or not.

Anyway, I see where you are coming from. Since you have an acutal "Class A" but may not be compensated for transporting goods, etc, I imagine that truck rental wouldn't be an issue because they would consider you "qualified".

The people at the DMV arent' the sharpest tools in the shed to say the least, and nobody could even understand what I was asking, but it appears clear now on their website. I'm not sure if all states that a non-cdl class A, but I think the original poster was probably trying to ask it he/she would need a class A/Class B to operate.

Another thing that confused me is my registration. For my truck with a GVWR of 8800 lbs, it is classified as Private/Commercial. Same for my dads SRW F350 with a GVWR of 11400. I'm like, which is it, private or commercial? I have a regular insurance policy, but my dad had to get a commercial policy. Clear as mud I say.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:49 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Types of Regular Licenses: Click to Expand or Contract the Section
spacer

return to top

If you are 18 years of age or older you may apply for an original North Carolina driver license. Under North Carolina's classified license system most drivers need only a Class C license to operate personal automobiles and small trucks.

Class A: Required to operate any combination of vehicles exempt from commercial driver license (CDL) requirements with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is greater than 10,000 pounds.

Class B: Required to operate any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more that is exempt from CDL requirements, and any such vehicle while towing another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.
Class C: Required to operate any single vehicle that is not carrying hazardous material in quantities required to be placarded or is designed to carry no more than 15 passengers including the driver with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds; or any vehicle towing a vehicle which has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds operated by driver at least eighteen years old. Most drivers need only a Regular C license to operate personal automobiles and small trucks.

I think my post went over someone's head. The above is copy and pasted right out of the NCDMV handbook from the link provided in an earlier post. Keep in mind "commercially registered vehicle". A commercially registered vehicle is commercial. A commercial vehicle is not exempt from a CDL, period!!!

Now getting back to the neighbors aforementioned dump truck. If the truck is registered privately or farm, it can be driven by anyone with the appropriate license of that class, however if the truck is registered commercially, no matter what you are hauling or whose it is, you must have a CDL. A commercial truck is not exempt. Read Class A: above. I made a phone call to the DMV Enforcement/Highway patrol section(now merged) and asked these questions and verified this information.

Also, even with a non-commercial license, if you are operating an articulated truck(tractor trailer) above 10,001 GVWR you must have a medical card.

"NOTE: Drivers meeting the definition of “farm vehicle driver” who operates straight trucks
are exempt from all driver qualification requirements of FMCSR 391.41. All drivers of
articulated motor vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more are required to possess
a current medical certificate as required in FMCSR 391.41 and 391.45"

Crazy001, I also called Ryder. I cannot rent a Tractor without a CDL or a DOT number.

Chester, I don't know but I think you took my post's as insults, I certainly didn't mean them that way. I'm merely stating the laws as they are in N.C. The condescending remarks as far as trucking and insurance are not appreciated. Just for your information I have a CDL A, I drove a tractor trailer contracted to the USPS for 10 yrs. I started a, what later turned out to be an employee owned company consisting of 4 dually's with trailers in 1992. We also own a tractor, 2 53' vans with walking floors and 2 48' flatbeds All the drivers have CDL's. We also rent tractors as needed at least 1 to 2 times per month. Even before we grew and started using tractors we recieved a 20% discount from the insurance co for having CDL A's. We have had 3 violations with DOT since Nov. of 1992. Due to an accident in Dec. of 04'. (no fault of my own)I havn't been able to drive a commercial vehicle. I however still have my CDL with a waiver that I can keep the license provided I don't drive a commercial vehicle. (Hoping one day I get better).

Now keep in mind, all insurance companies are different, and different laws for different states. I cannot call and put Blo-Joe up the street on my policy just so he can borrow or rent one of the trucks, nor will my commercial trucks be covered under their non commercial policy. (per my insurance co)

Like I said above, I'm not trying to insult or argue with anyone, however this is what I have to deal with in N.C.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:26 AM
sideshow
Elder User
A commercially registered vehicle is commercial. A commercial vehicle is not exempt from a CDL, period!!!
See here's where I get confused. The NCDMV says you can have a NON CDL class A for combination with GCWR in excess of 26K. BUT, are they going to classifiy it as a commercial registration? Which is it? They offer the non cdl license, but are going to say its a commercial vehicle anyway? Makes no sense. On my registration (which is for 20K plates) and also on my dads's (which is only for 12K plates since he doesn't tow anything that would require additional weight) they both list as quote "Private/Commercial". That's exactly what it says. I ask again, is it private, or is it commercial. Still clear as mud.

My Dad's truck had to get a seperate policy than mine (we both co-own both trucks) since the insurance company said it needed a commercial policy. However, he never tows with it, and if he does, it is only our landscape trailer with a GVWR of 7500 lbs. That como wouldn't require a Class A, but you say commercial registration requires a CDL. See where I get confused? The DMV doesn't list it solely as a commercial vehicle. This is making my head hurt

Old 08-28-2009, 01:14 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
sideshow, in a nutshell...

Tow vehicle GVWR more than 26,001 + Vehicle being towed GVWR more than 10,001 = Class A

A vehicle GVWR more than 26,001 with or without a vehicle being towed GVWR less than 10,001 = Class B

The private/commercial is just a designation showing you have a Weighted tag on your truck(registered for more than 5000#'s). The weighted tag is for private vehicles or commercial/non property hauling vehicles such as a plumber, electrician etc. My commercial truck registration says "commercial/property hauling". My brothers F-150 is registered for 5000# and reads "private/property hauling".

If you remember all trucks including pick-ups a few years ago in N.C. that were registered over 4000#'s had commercial tags on them regardless of their use.(private or commercial). You are right though, they have made it very confusing in certain situations.

Insurance: Not telling you what to do, but what I would do is to take both registrations down to the insurance co. and explain to them that the trucks are private. My 92' F-250 has 12,000 tags, my Excursion has 20,000# tags. both vehicles are on my private insurance. My 93' dually GVWR 11,000#'s was recently moved back from my private policy to my commercial policy due to me needing it for the business. (and re registered from private/commercial property hauling to commercial property hauling) Again, insurance co.'s have their own rules.

I figured out a long time ago by the time you get DOT, DMV, and the insurance co. together, you've got problems.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Cowboy65
Elder User
I think this thread is a perfect example that some agency in our giant government needs to take the responsibility to clarify and unify the law on this subject. I have done a fair amount of research on the web and talked to several DOT personnel and the interpretation of the law is all over the place just like this thread indicates.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:58 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Originally Posted by bucci

From what was posted above, it seems that you cannot register the vehicle for more than what it is rated for by the manufacturer only less.
AT work, we have a 1998 int. 4900 straight truck GVWR 33k
we have "L" plates (32-36k)
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...truckfees.html

A truck can be over the GVWR/GCWR which can get you a ticket, however if you have enough registered weight on the truck you cannot get a ticket for having too much weight on the roadway. It's a whole lot cheaper to pay for the registered weight up front than to get a weight ticket.

My 93' dually has 30,000# tags, which will protect me from overload on the highway, but this doesn't allow me to load the truck beyond the GVWR/GCWR. The fines for loading beyond registered weight are huge.
We rolled across the scales in the above truck weighing 34,700 lbs, In IL , we did not receive any tickets

Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
What Jake said is true, at least in Ky. You can put whatever plates on your truck you want as long as you want to spend the money. I replaced a spindle on a Dodge dually one ton a few years back where the owner had a 60,000lb tag on it! He had the gall to ask me about what kind of warranty came with my work. (I said gall cause I figured any idiot towing 60,000 with a pickup needs his head examined) I told him that I guarantee it to be straight, the weld no to break, and assuming the hub and bearings are installed properly, that the bearing journals won't wear out. But, the minute you hook to anything that remotely comes close to needing that 60,000lb tag, warranty void. He got a little huffy and said his truck pulls that all the time. I said his engine can do it, but obviously since I'm here replacing a spindle that got damaged from you breaking an axle shaft, the rest of the truck wasn't built to handle that kind of weight. The truck had a cummins in it that had been turned up. I told him that for towing that kind of weight he needed a semi tractor.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:05 AM
galute
Senior User
There is a fine line between commercial and non commercial. You cannot recieve any type of compensation if you are running non commercial. Compensation can be anything. For example, I know lots of people that use big rigs to haul horses to shows. Pefectly legal non CDL as long as they are not compensated. However you win a trophy, a sack of feed, or maybe a saddle, you was just compensated now you need a CDL. Another example. I know a lady that is a traveling nurse. Her and her husband bought a Freightliner to tow a rather large 5th wheel camper to stay in during her contracts. Neither have a CDL. Perfectly legal, until, she filed the camper as an work related expense on her taxes. Busted!

There is a hugh difference sometimes in state rules and federal rules. Some states follow the feds guidelines and some do not. If you do not cross the state line then you are considered Intrastate and follow the rules in your home state but cross even one tire across that state line and you just became Interstate and now must follow the feds rules. I don't know the rules in Chester's state but here his practices would get you in big trouble if they wanted to push the issue. That's the differences between states. I would recommend you research the rules in the state's in which you intend to travel and not place too much stock in the recommendations you read here. My best friend is a DOT auditor. He audits the books of trucking company's as well as officers in the field to make sure they are doing it correctly. I have had the rules explained to me quite clearly many times. You wouldn't believe the crap people try to get away with. Also, if they want you, they have ways to get you you have probable never heard of so just be careful.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
For example, I know lots of people that use big rigs to haul horses to shows. Pefectly legal non CDL as long as they are not compensated. However you win a trophy, a sack of feed, or maybe a saddle, you was just compensated now you need a CDL.
not true at all. Since you have not been compensated for hauling, the vehicle has nothing to do with winnings... until you try to write the travel off as a business expense somehow.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:38 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
This may be an eye opener for some, especially those that are involved in motorsports. Keep in mind this is N.C., even though FMC laws may apply. I've had two toter-homes and have gotten into deep discussion as to why I left them regisistered as trucks instead of house cars to pull a race trailer. A Toter-Home is a truck and is not DOT exempt.

http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/Index2...,000740,001823

Quick Reply: Do you need a commerical liscense.....