1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

PARTS ALERT- Bonus Built Drivers Side Door Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
PARTS ALERT- Bonus Built Drivers Side Door Lock

Hi Guys,

In the course of our discussions, many of you have asked where you can get the Bonus Built drivers side Door Latch mechanism that has the exterior lock option on it. Very Hard to get lately. Will work on 48-52 you'll have to drill a hole in the outside of the door and buy a lock (available anywhere)

Well, there's one for sale on e-bay - no bidders yet $25.

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1952-...=p4506.c0.m245

Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Good stuff Jules, but I don't see where theres a door lock cylinder included.

I'm hoping to one day put a driver's and passenger's side lock on my 49. I'm guessing that I will have to adapt some late model stuff to fit. You'll have to help me out here as I don't know....was there ever a driver's door lock cylinder offered on the Bonus Built trucks?

Thanks
Bobby

Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Good stuff Jules, but I don't see where theres a door lock cylinder included.

I'm hoping to one day put a driver's and passenger's side lock on my 49. I'm guessing that I will have to adapt some late model stuff to fit. You'll have to help me out here as I don't know....was there ever a driver's door lock cylinder offered on the Bonus Built trucks?

Thanks
Bobby
The stock configuration was to have the outside lock on the passenger side - flip the drivers door handle up, then slide out the passenger side.

I'm not sure which year it became an option on Bonus Built, but I know it was part of the "Extra Cab" package offered in 51 and after. Before that, I'm not sure - maybe. Mounting screws are the same as the standard bolt. So you can put them on the earlier (48-50) models as well.

The lock cylinders are about $10 and you can buy one at any of the parts restoratin houses like LMC, MACs, or C&G. Probably want to do that anyway so you can have the key and get it to match your passenger side. Pictures and write up in the second link below.

Here is two of the previous threads on it if anyone wants to review.

This is the first one of these I've seen (with the drivers side outside lock provision) in at least 8 months. And there were lots of guys interested. If there are no bids on it soon, I will bid on it. So if any of you guys are planning on bidding, let me know so I can stop - I'll keep it confidential if more than one of you bids.

I already have mine but don't want to let this go with all the interest we had. I'll hold onto it until one of you wants one.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...r-handles.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...door-lock.html

Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Very good, I knew that you could lock the driver door, I just didn't know which year that the outside door lock cylinder became available. Like I said, when the time comes, I'll fabricate something.

Heck, as it is now, I'd give most anything for a few hours of time to spend on my old truck. I don't think I've touched it since March

Bobby

Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Drivers door lock items

So So if any of you guys are planning on bidding, let me know so I can stop - I'll keep it confidential if more than one of you bids.

Julie ,it is on my watch list

Old 08-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Kind of an aside, but does anybody know WHY there's no door lock on the outside of the driver's door? That's something that has always baffled me. Anyone with half a brain knows it's easier to reach across that narrow cab and lock the passenger door from the inside than it is to lock the driver door from the inside and slide across, especially if you have a floor shifter (as I do...though I have no idea if it was originally that way or not). Why didn't they put the outter lock on the driver's door instead of the passenger door?

So weird.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:15 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Very good, I knew that you could lock the driver door, I just didn't know which year that the outside door lock cylinder became available. Like I said, when the time comes, I'll fabricate something.

Heck, as it is now, I'd give most anything for a few hours of time to spend on my old truck. I don't think I've touched it since March

Bobby
The bolt mechanism is the same except it has that appendage that hangs down for the outside lock. It will bolt right into the 48+ drivers doors. So, all yo have to do is find the right spot (measure the other side), and drill the hole (big hole like 5/8 in) in the door for the lock cylinder, then drill a small hole in the door back edge to put a sheet metal screw in to hold the lock cylinder in. I would say it might take 30 minutes to change out. Hardest part is getting the lock cylinder shaft into the hole in the bolt - it's loose and wobbles!

Originally Posted by firstrider

So So if any of you guys are planning on bidding, let me know so I can stop - I'll keep it confidential if more than one of you bids.

Julie ,it is on my watch list
I know you are one of the guys whos been asking about one of these for a long time This is the first one I've seen since the posts above (December 08).....OK, Good luck!

Originally Posted by Blue50F-1
Kind of an aside, but does anybody know WHY there's no door lock on the outside of the driver's door? That's something that has always baffled me. Anyone with half a brain knows it's easier to reach across that narrow cab and lock the passenger door from the inside than it is to lock the driver door from the inside and slide across, especially if you have a floor shifter (as I do...though I have no idea if it was originally that way or not). Why didn't they put the outter lock on the driver's door instead of the passenger door?

So weird.
It was a safety consideration. Thought was if you locked the passenger side door then slid out the drivers side, you and any passenger would be standing in the street while using the key to lock the outside of the drivers door dangerous. The way it was designed had you sliding out onto the curb and standing there to lock the door.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
It was a safety consideration. Thought was if you locked the passenger side door then slid out the drivers side, you and any passenger would be standing in the street while using the key to lock the outside of the drivers door dangerous. The way it was designed had you sliding out onto the curb and standing there to lock the door.
Hey, at least that makes some sense. I've never yet parked my truck on a curb, so I never considered that. I always thought it was goofy, and a pain in the neck.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:40 PM
coleminer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '51 has door locks on the outside of both doors. Is this possibly a "Bonus Built" cab?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by coleminer
My '51 has door locks on the outside of both doors. Is this possibly a "Bonus Built" cab?
Yes and no. If it's a 51 it's a "Bonus Built."

The term "Bonus Built" was a marketing slogan devised by Ford withthe 1948 truck year to help sell trucks against Chevy. "Bonus Built" is a general term for Ford Trucks from 1948 to 1952. From 1953 to 1956 they turned into F-100s (+) and we call them "Effies."

What I think you meant was that you probably had an "Extra Cab."

There was a Deluxe Package that Ford sold onthe trucks starting in 1951 and for 51/52 called those trucks "[Five Star] Extra Cabs." All cabs in 51/52 were "Five Star."

In 53 the term was changed to Deluxe Cab, and in 55 (I believe) it was again changed to "Custom Cab."

Having door locks on both sides was an option, but also part of the "Extra Cab" package - along with about a dozen other items - glove box lock; windshield trim; deluxe hood spears; brigh metal window separators; Magic Aire fresh air heater, etc. All options were also available individually on standard Five Star Cab trucks.

Here is a link to a previous discussion we had - very informative:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...extra-cab.html

Welcome to FTE by the way. Did you start a thread to introduce yourself to everyone?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 AM
coleminer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information. Yes , I introduced myself around mid July. Ihave asked a few question, and will probably ask a lot more. This F1 is my first big project and I'm just getting started the tear-down.