S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

What Are You Doing To Your Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:01 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselHardware
Thought I'd check in and say Hi since it's been awhile. Loving life in Colorado, but miss all the get togethers down south! Truck is finally back in action after being down for 18 months. Got the motor rebuilt which included cryo'd forged rods, balancing, upgraded valve springs and pushrods, Gearhead Stage 1 Camshaft, and 315/200 B-Codes plus all the goodies I had on there before. Still working on tuning, but she's a fun truck for sure. Just wish I had the cash for a different turbo....some day.

nice to see you checkin in!

Old 01-11-2016, 03:15 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
got my pump kit and the following day painted it.... was hopeing it be a little different then everyone else and paint the cast iron smoke gray (what i had in stock) but the can was a dud ugh.... so the pump is gloss black now (also in stock) lol...

old next to new!

today i popped the oil cooler out and put the new seal kit in it, after a good soak and scrub in degreaser!!.... the old o rings for the oil side were as hard as plastic! you need the ratchet strap to get it put together it just works easier!

clean parts!!

all gooed up with assembly lube!

popped right togeather!

almost finished the work on the truck tonight, but alas it got kinda late for extended idling of the truck (takes a while to get 8 cold gallons of coolant up to temp! and i didn't have 4 gallons of distilled water to cut down the shell rotella concentrate coolant.

anyways just a couple pics, one of the engine bay all buttoned back up....and a shot from under the truck looking up at the red coolant filter on the drivers side of the engine bay.... so far i am really digging this water pump kit.

since things got quite dingy and what not under the truck from my leaks and seeps i fixed back in April, i picked this up back in march. well worth the 35 bucks. i can fill it with what ever solvent you choose in bulk form and pressurize it with shop air to 125Psi. also i like the Gunk brand Heavy duty gel in a spray can, that stuff works good too!

Amazon.com: Gunk EBGEL Engine Brite GEL HD Engine Degreaser - 15 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Gunk EBGEL Engine Brite GEL HD Engine Degreaser - 15 oz.: Automotive

Old 01-16-2016, 10:24 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Treated mine to a pair of batteries. Amazing how a slow crank creeps up on you, but she really spins up now.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:24 AM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
blew half my hand off, so nothing much besides ordering parts for my 1966 Ford, and defying the Docs orders. Front suspension will be rebuilt along with the front half of the frame. The original 240 will be cranked and started, and then replaced by a rebuilt 351. Then the Doc will clear me for the work (which I was already doing) to finish the power brakes and body.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:46 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan
blew half my hand off,..

That can't be good!

Firearms or fireworks?

Old 01-22-2016, 10:56 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bpounds
That can't be good!

Firearms or fireworks?
actually a 480 breaker box. Previous electrician left something in the box to surprise me........

I was cleared for work today. My 66 will be getting some much needed love. And my DD's will be getting their love too.

Front suspension mainly on the 66 Ford. The Ford was never cranked, and **** went to hell. But progress will pick up

Old 01-22-2016, 10:59 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bpounds
That can't be good!

Firearms or fireworks?
Im a master mechanic and body tech, and played electrician (Ive been one before) to try and fix the heat in the new shop I moved too. Unknowingly the breaker box was wired like a monkey had done it. Switched a breaker on and it blew...... Lucky I didnt take the panel off, it would have killed me

Old 01-22-2016, 11:23 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
actually a 480 breaker box. Previous electrician left something in the box to surprise me........
Unknowingly the breaker box was wired like a monkey had done it. Switched a breaker on and it blew...... Lucky I didnt take the panel off, it would have killed me

damn 480 aint no joke, glad ya lived to tell the tale!!!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by OldBlackCat
damn 480 aint no joke, glad ya lived to tell the tale!!!
I am as well. I was and still am kicking and screaming in this world. it was a fun speed bump

Old 01-23-2016, 01:40 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
any idea what happened? what was the other sparky's surprise that he left for you?

Old 01-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by OldBlackCat
any idea what happened? what was the other sparky's surprise that he left for you?
Previous electrician, (who probably was not qualified) left a piece of wire or something inside the box, that wiggled its way down as my coworker and I were flipping breakers testing the output at a a switch, and on that last flip it made it to the right spot and arced all the way up the box. Didnt kill the breaker, but the arc originated at the breaker I had flipped on.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:32 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Previous electrician, (who probably was not qualified) left a piece of wire or something inside the box, that wiggled its way down as my coworker and I were flipping breakers testing the output at a a switch, and on that last flip it made it to the right spot and arced all the way up the box. Didnt kill the breaker, but the arc originated at the breaker I had flipped on.
damn! i see alot of hokey stuff out in the field, and find myself often saying how has this not exploded or shocked somebody yet.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:10 PM
CBren
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im hopefully attaching my 1200 pound winch from harbor freight hopefully it works!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Sustained another burn to my left hand. 2nd degree, on the palm. Front suspension on my Ford almost done. Dodge is getting more custom stuff, and working on building a new shop.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:33 AM
Commander421
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did the surgical tubing in the door weather stripping mod this last weekend. What an amazing difference. There are no longer the squeaks and loose sounding door noises. This was a great mod. Very easy to do. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: What Are You Doing To Your Truck?