1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

aftermarket 5spd updated info

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:53 PM
64fordf100292
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket 5spd updated info

hey all. I have great news. after finally getting ahold of Ross at quicktime performance, and I have confirmed a few things. First off, the bellhousing that they offer is indeed for a car application. Now for the good news. In our conversation about the truck bellhousing, he said that he had just learned that the car and truck bellhousings are different but has yet to produce a truck bellhousing due to the inability to aquire a truck bellhousing to use as a pattern. He said that once he aquired a truck bellhousing, it sounded like he would just make a universal mounting kit for the truck application and then the customer would be required to weld them on and refinish the bellhousing.
He did say that he has sold the car bellhousing to a few truck guys and all they did was fabricated their own mounting ears and welded them to the bellhousing. He did say that the car bellhousing is more than capable of handling a truck application with the mounting ears welded on. he said that it would not damage the integrity of the bellhousing.
So, all in all, i think there is another viable option for the 5spd conversion. Price, i never asked about the price for the bellhousing with the truck mounting kit not welded on.
so, if ther is anyone who has a Yblock manual bellhousing that you would think is a decent pattern for ross at quicktime, let me know i would be willing to buy it from ya so i can send it to him as a pattern.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:43 PM
gritsngumbo
Elder User
"he said that he had just learned that the car and truck bellhousings are different but has yet to produce a truck bellhousing due to the inability to aquire a truck bell housing to use as a pattern." HUH?
Don't know anything about this company or this guy, but this excuse/reason doesn't really make sense...or is it just me.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM
64fordf100292
Tuned
my guess is that those mounting ears have to be in a certain spot to line up with the crossmember and if he dont have a bellhousing or a truck to use to as a template he cant really correctly fab and make instructions as to where to weld the brackets on. that's how i understand it and makes sense to me so. just figured i wold share the info i got from him. this company makes bellhousings for racing. just another bellhousing company like lakewood bellhousings. from wat i understand, all bellhousings are sfi approved.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:21 PM
gritsngumbo
Elder User
Not ragging on you, but my point is/was that I would doubt that you're the first person to inquire about a bell housing for a Y-block truck installation, plus 3 speed Y-block bell housings for trucks are plentiful. If you're the first to inquire about an adapter, congratulations!

BTW:Their website lists the Y-block to the T5 adapter @ $559.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 PM
64fordf100292
Tuned
yup I am aware of that info. ya, it's spendy but for wat trany i wanna use, dont have many other options.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 PM
gritsngumbo
Elder User
Two words: John Mummert

Old 08-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Who's John Mummert?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 PM
64fordf100292
Tuned
yup great guy. dont readily sell what i need. and aint to interested in somthing one off. not rich enough.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:17 AM
LM14
Senior User
I live 50 miles from the Quicktime guys. We run their stuff in our IMCA type dirt modifieds. I have a '61 truck bell they can copy if they want it. I'll even drive it up there for them!

It would probably be a lot more money than the John Mummert modified bell housing or his adapters you might need. If you weld something as heavy as the side mounts on the bell, you are going to warp it. Should be done before everything is finished and all the holes are drilled.

JMO,
SPark

Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 PM
LM14
Senior User
Have a meeting with the Quick Time guys tomorrow morning. I am leaving my truck bell for them to work off of. They seemed excited about the project.

Grits - I understand why you may not have heard of these guys before. They got their start in racing making lightweight SFI certified bellhousings. As they max out that market (I think they are the largest supplier of racing bellhousings in the world) they are looking for new areas to work in. Believe it or not, the majority of the world doesn't know trucks and cars had different bells on Y-blocks.

Here's a link to their website.

http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html

I think you'll see a SFI certified bell going for $350-450 neighborhood. Mummart's deal may be cheaper for the daily driver but this will be great for those wanting more performance oriented options. It also depends on what the clutch setup will be, I'll try to find out some answers tomorrow.

SPark

Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 PM
gritsngumbo
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bill W
Who's John Mummert?
http://ford-y-block.com/ He's pretty much the Y-block speed parts guru.

Originally Posted by LM14
Grits - I understand why you may not have heard of these guys before. Believe it or not, the majority of the world doesn't know trucks and cars had different bells on Y-blocks.SPark
Didn't say I hadn't heard of them. And yes, I'm sure the "majority" of the world wouldn't know a Y-block from a cement block. But the "majority" of the world isn't in the car business. My point was that I found it strange than no one had ever asked for a truck Y-block adapter and that being in adapter business that they didn't know there was a difference. Guess I'm the only one who thinks so.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 AM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
They have known for at least a little over a year now. Shortly after the car bells were introduced, several of us on the Y-blocksforever forum expressed interest in a truck version. They didn't seem interested at the time. In any case, it's good that they are now. Apparently they made a few assumptions with the car versions because they did not fit using stock Y clutch components. So it's not at all surprising to me that they would not have known of a difference between the cars and trucks. The problems with the car bell housing have since been corrected.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:23 PM
LM14
Senior User
Spent some time at Quick Time's shop today. Here's what I learned:

The mounts will probably be a bolt on deal. That is what they are looking at first blush. He felt they could jig and drill holes and make bolt on mounts that would be more accurate than welded on mounts. He sold over 8000 bellhousings last year and only 100 were for Y-blocks (I was actually suprised he sold that many Y-block bells but he said there are very loyal pockets of Y-block people out there that need to be served). It's just not feasable for them to dedicate another line to welded-on mounts and limiting the use of a bell for that purpose.

They build 2 basic bells for Y-blocks at this time. One for the T10/Muncie/etc and another for the T5/Tremec.etc. The goal was to hopefully have 1 bolt on kit to fit both bells.

Their combination uses their flywheel with 3 bolt patterns on it. It bolts directly to the Y-block crank but takes 1 of 3 different pressure plates (I believe it was what they call the metric, 10.5 and 11"). With their flywheel, you use normal clutch/pressure plate parts for whatever fits your tranny application (IE: a 5.0 clutch and pressure plate for a T5 Mustang setup).

They also use a FE starter with their Y-block bells.

Great guy to talk to. Had him check one of my racing bells we thought might have been bent but it wasn't (crap, now I have another problem to find on the race car). He was excited about the interest in their product and freely exchanged info and ideas. I was impressed with him and I deal with a lot of racing parts suppliers that don't impress me in the least! He was good at answering all my questions and I know he returns calls (past experience).

This is moving forward. He's going to call me when he is done with my bell and it sounded like things should be available shortly.

SPark

Old 09-26-2009, 11:42 AM
64fordf100292
Tuned
this is so cool. can't wait till income taxes.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
64fordf100292
Tuned
lm14, has there been any progress on that truck kit for quicktime bellhousings?

Quick Reply: aftermarket 5spd updated info