Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #31  
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 AM
jpreeder jpreeder is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
jpreeder is starting off with a positive reputation.
in my 1971 w/ 390 i was getting 12.5 and in the city about 6
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-06-2011, 06:33 AM
tmcalavy tmcalavy is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 1,040
tmcalavy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
is this a statement, or a question?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 AM
jim collins's Avatar
jim collins jim collins is online now
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South west Idaho
Posts: 2,810
jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
jpreeder, this thread was started in august of 2009 ,in case you never noticed. As far as i know it was the same thing over and over. Now ,whats you next question you need help on ?
__________________
64 falcon Futura
56 ford Fairlane----
73 f-100 / came with 360 and three on the tree standard trany . Now its 302 with AOD.

35 chevy street rod 200 4/R , 350 crate engine.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-09-2011, 03:25 PM
chepdog chepdog is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: fresno ca
Posts: 94
chepdog is starting off with a positive reputation.
When i purchased my 72 f250 4x4 w/ 390 rebuilt to (390) its has Edelbrock intake, edelbrock 600 cfm 4 bbl carb, hedman long tube headers, duraspark ignition, 40 series flows, 4.10 gears and has an extra 4 inch lift, I drove from Sacramento (filled before i left until fuel was bobbing in and out of fuel neck) i drove 110 miles exactly until i figured it needed gas (gauges were disconnected) pulled into an AM/PM and filled it back up,surprisingly it only took 9 gallons and some spilled, i was like what the heck: my 75 4x4 f250 only got about 8-9 mpg when i had it and it was not lifted.............. So i was getting about 12.3mpg at 62-65 mph, not bad. Like someone else said newer trucks with the 5.4 or 6.2 only get about 15-17 in the highway, not much more than a 40 year old truck.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-09-2011, 04:55 PM
jim collins's Avatar
jim collins jim collins is online now
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South west Idaho
Posts: 2,810
jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chepdog View Post
When i purchased my 72 f250 4x4 w/ 390 rebuilt to (390) its has Edelbrock intake, edelbrock 600 cfm 4 bbl carb, hedman long tube headers, duraspark ignition, 40 series flows, 4.10 gears and has an extra 4 inch lift, I drove from Sacramento (filled before i left until fuel was bobbing in and out of fuel neck) i drove 110 miles exactly until i figured it needed gas (gauges were disconnected) pulled into an AM/PM and filled it back up,surprisingly it only took 9 gallons and some spilled, i was like what the heck: my 75 4x4 f250 only got about 8-9 mpg when i had it and it was not lifted.............. So i was getting about 12.3mpg at 62-65 mph, not bad. Like someone else said newer trucks with the 5.4 or 6.2 only get about 15-17 in the highway, not much more than a 40 year old truck.
New ones are not that much better as far as M P G. but they sure cost a lot more. If the M P G percentage went up as much as the cost of vehical percentage has went up, we would be getting fantastic M P Gs . It was common to get 20 M P G on the 50s and 60s v/8 cars back then. My 56 ford 292 Y/block with overdrive got 22 M P G back then. New vehicals are safer ,cleaner running,ride better and a have lot of other features we all like. I guess that's what we are really paying for,to bad we can't have it all and still be affordable. Sounds like you truck is doing real good.


2

92
y/block

y/b
__________________
64 falcon Futura
56 ford Fairlane----
73 f-100 / came with 360 and three on the tree standard trany . Now its 302 with AOD.

35 chevy street rod 200 4/R , 350 crate engine.

Last edited by Krewat; 09-05-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: completely unnecessary line padding
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-04-2014, 03:47 PM
buffalobillsexhaust buffalobillsexhaust is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
buffalobillsexhaust is starting off with a positive reputation.
Reading some of this stuff about MPG cracks me up. None of us buy these trucks for gas mileage and its a flat lie to say you get more than 12 max on a well tuned nicely setup 390 in a 4x4. People take these threads out of context in regards to lighter 2wd trucks and cars getting better mileage. If i had a nickel for every time some yay hoo with an F250 highboy tried to tell me it gets in the mid teens on the highway i would be a very rich man. Its actually quite annoying when used as a selling point to try and drive the price up. If someone truly gets A SOLID 14mpg in an old 4x4 ford with a 390 and documents it i will eat my HAT

Last edited by TigerDan; 09-04-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-04-2014, 06:30 PM
GreenDinosaur GreenDinosaur is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 171
GreenDinosaur is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobillsexhaust View Post
Reading some of this stuff about MPG cracks me up. None of us buy these trucks for gas mileage and its a flat lie to say you get more than 12 max on a well tuned nicely setup 390 in a 4x4. People take these threads out of context in regards to lighter 2wd trucks and cars getting better mileage. If i had a nickel for every time some yay hoo with an F250 highboy tried to tell me it gets in the mid teens on the highway i would be a very rich man. Its actually quite annoying when used as a selling point to try and drive the price up... If someone truly gets 14mpg in an old 4x4 ford with a 390 and documents it....


My 360 4x4 gets 14 mpg if i drive it right, I don't know how you think someone can document it on here, you have no way to know what mpg people get in their trucks, just because you get lousy mpg doesn't mean everyone else does.

Last edited by TigerDan; 09-04-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Language in quoted post
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Krewat's Avatar
Krewat Krewat is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island USA
Posts: 34,415
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDinosaur View Post
My 360 4x4 gets 14 mpg if i drive it right, I don't know how you think someone can document it on here, you have no way to know what mpg people get in their trucks, just because you get lousy mpg doesn't mean everyone else does.
The highboy with built 390 in my signature got better MPG than the original 360, and the 390 got around 14-15 on the highway on VERY long trips. But then, my V10 gets 17 on the same road trip 20 years later
__________________
- art k. - Moderator for the Superduty, V10, 6.2L and FE forums
'13 Taurus SHO 3.5L Ecoboost w/Perf Pkg
'01 F250SD SC SB XLT V10 4x4 Volant CAI Hedman headers 5-star custom tunes on SCT X3
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 PM
orich's Avatar
orich orich is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Jose ca.
Posts: 2,855
orich is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.orich is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep we all have little tricks to aid in getting a little more mpg out these beast.
I've gotten as high as 14 when first built. This was a 500 mile run back from my son home in Henderson NV. to San Jose. Bu do have the OD 5spd run speed from 50-70
early morning to afternoon 8.5 hr drive 527 and also drive by a vacuum gauge. as it's called a Motor minder the show when your wasting gas..

I've been driving with this same gauge since the late 70's when, I put on a cab over camper 8.5" 1,500lbs 4:10 gear with 32"x11.5 tires 8-11 mpg with a 4 spd tranny.

No more camper but just a shell and can get some what good mileage in o/d @60mph 12-14 it's.. 416 cuin. hei dizzy holley 600cfm sanderson headers 2.5 pipes, 2006 gt mustang mufflers.. Dual air cool air intake tubes with K&N air filter. Intake & exh Ports cleaned an polish some what.

Orich
__________________
1971 F250 4wd Nv4500-5spd O/D 416cid owned since 1978. Toured Vietnam 1968-70 15 months 512th Trans Co. Driver of the Iron Butterfly Gun truck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7U71KZEJw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lemll...r_embedded#t=0 & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119sc1w8J2Y#t=2
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-06-2014, 02:55 PM
buffalobillsexhaust buffalobillsexhaust is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
buffalobillsexhaust is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDinosaur View Post
My 360 4x4 gets 14 mpg if i drive it right, I don't know how you think someone can document it on here, you have no way to know what mpg people get in their trucks, just because you get lousy mpg doesn't mean everyone else does.

I dunno my friend. getting a solid 14 mpg with an FE big block running a non OD tranny is very far fetched. I have had fresh well tuned motors setup perfectly to the T (with electric fuel pump and other efficiency upgrades) and got 11 at best. But then again on the freeway i had to drive it about 65mph to stay with the flow of traffic. Maybe at 45 mph with 3.50 gears on small tires you MIGHT score 14. but even then i find it hard to believe. (btw my 4x4 was running 3.50 gears and didnt get that kind of mileage) These trucks werent built for mileage and people read these posts with claims of gas mileage like yours and try to use it as a selling point when in all practical reality its false.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-06-2014, 02:58 PM
buffalobillsexhaust buffalobillsexhaust is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
buffalobillsexhaust is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orich View Post
Yep we all have little tricks to aid in getting a little more mpg out these beast.
I've gotten as high as 14 when first built. This was a 500 mile run back from my son home in Henderson NV. to San Jose. Bu do have the OD 5spd run speed from 50-70
early morning to afternoon 8.5 hr drive 527 and also drive by a vacuum gauge. as it's called a Motor minder the show when your wasting gas..

I've been driving with this same gauge since the late 70's when, I put on a cab over camper 8.5" 1,500lbs 4:10 gear with 32"x11.5 tires 8-11 mpg with a 4 spd tranny.

No more camper but just a shell and can get some what good mileage in o/d @60mph 12-14 it's.. 416 cuin. hei dizzy holley 600cfm sanderson headers 2.5 pipes, 2006 gt mustang mufflers.. Dual air cool air intake tubes with K&N air filter. Intake & exh Ports cleaned an polish some what.

Orich

See now what your saying makes sense. with an OD tranny and said upgrades your mileage is realistic and 100% believable. sounds like a nice rig btw bet it makes some damn good power!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-06-2014, 05:54 PM
orich's Avatar
orich orich is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Jose ca.
Posts: 2,855
orich is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.orich is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobillsexhaust View Post
See now what your saying makes sense. with an OD tranny and said upgrades your mileage is realistic and 100% believable. sounds like a nice rig btw bet it makes some damn good power!
Did not have the hei when but the P-igniter III unit then.



And my 19 yr old paint job, the hood is flaking clear coat. So now slowly getting it ready for paint.

__________________
1971 F250 4wd Nv4500-5spd O/D 416cid owned since 1978. Toured Vietnam 1968-70 15 months 512th Trans Co. Driver of the Iron Butterfly Gun truck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7U71KZEJw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lemll...r_embedded#t=0 & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119sc1w8J2Y#t=2
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-06-2014, 06:30 PM
buffalobillsexhaust buffalobillsexhaust is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
buffalobillsexhaust is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orich View Post
Did not have the hei when but the P-igniter III unit then.




Damn now thats one hell of a truck! i love the look trim and paint color very nice. Definitely a rig to be proud of. Love the HEI conversion and OD tranny. very smart well done build.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-06-2014, 07:36 PM
RichS2659 RichS2659 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Pole, Alaska
Posts: 633
RichS2659 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Excellent photos of your truck, Orich. Hopefully I can start on my 70 and 76 crews (his and hers; my wife prefers the dent body style) next summer.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:36 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1970, 1972, 350, average, f100, f250, fan, ford, gallon, miles, mpg, new, shroud, sport, stock, truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
antifreeze jaybird8269 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 5 07-27-2013 04:28 PM
1970 F250 Radius Arms panfour 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 2 12-05-2012 03:34 PM
Steering box swap 1970, F100 gtoheaven 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 2 08-04-2010 08:42 AM
1970 F250 steering box rebuild kit. drizkid 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 2 03-16-2001 07:54 AM
1970 F250 Manual courtenay 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 5 05-19-2000 04:05 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup