1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pulling the cab off the frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Rarerat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling the cab off the frame

I think I am ready to pull the cab off the frame on my 56 so I can finish the boxing were I clipped the Camaro front subframe on. How many guys will I need to help lift it off the frame? Can four people safely pick it up and move it around with out too much trouble?

Also has anyone built a cab cart to roll the cab around on while doing the body work on it? And if so does any one have dementions they would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Hope you get an answer to the "How many" question as I've unbolted my 54 cab and am pulling it to paint etc the frame. I need to know how much beer to buy. LOL

Old 08-18-2009, 03:46 PM
fking1
Elder User
4 can easily do the job.
I used a cherry picker, straps and myself to do mine.
Lifting off the cab from a pickup box at the body shop, 4 of us.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Rarerat
Junior User
Originally Posted by fking1
4 can easily do the job.
I used a cherry picker, straps and myself to do mine.
Lifting off the cab from a pickup box at the body shop, 4 of us.

Thanks, Can I ask where you hooked the straps? Even after lowering the truck I dont think my chery picker will go near high enough to lift the cab off the frame.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:11 PM
fking1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rarerat
Thanks, Can I ask where you hooked the straps? Even after lowering the truck I dont think my chery picker will go near high enough to lift the cab off the frame.
Used 2 straps through the door openings. Doors were off. Extended boom maximum length which was 500 lb capacity. Harbour Freight cherry picker.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I pulled my with my three sons about two years ago. Had the doors off and no seat in the cab. It's a awkard weight.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I pulled a lot of '48-52 cabs and have used a front end loader and a forklift truck. I also swapped the panel truck's body using a wooden brace in the back, behind the rear wheels and the forklift and straps in the front:

Old 08-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Rarerat
Junior User
Thanks guys.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
flatheadjohn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as a stand to roll the cab around on I used a large pallet (free) and went to the home store and bought four swivel casters (steel wheels) and screwed them on to the bottom of the pallet. And there you have an inexpensive cab stand, etc.....

Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 PM
twise
Senior User
My cab was totally stripped out, including glass, seat and doors. Two of us lifted it off and set it onto a plastic pallet I got from work that I had installed casters on. It worked perfectly. Also made it easier to work on the roof, priming, and sanding was easier. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Can't speak for Rarerat, but your information has been very helpful as I plan to pull the cab on mine in the next few days. The cab is stripped with the glass and doors out and interior is pulled too. I plan on doing some rust repair and replace the front interior cab mounts while it is off the frame. I also plan to fill and smooth the firewall too.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Rarerat
Junior User
Originally Posted by flatheadjohn
As far as a stand to roll the cab around on I used a large pallet (free) and went to the home store and bought four swivel casters (steel wheels) and screwed them on to the bottom of the pallet. And there you have an inexpensive cab stand, etc.....
Originally Posted by twise
My cab was totally stripped out, including glass, seat and doors. Two of us lifted it off and set it onto a plastic pallet I got from work that I had installed casters on. It worked perfectly. Also made it easier to work on the roof, priming, and sanding was easier. Good luck.
Thanks for the info guys.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Huntfamily53
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a link to a post I made about how I removed mine by myself with a cherry picker and two 2x4's.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ff-w-pics.html
Pretty easy. I have mine on a landscaping cart, but just picked up those furniture dollies from Harbor Freight as they were on sale. I will put those on either side this weekend.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Rarerat
Junior User
Originally Posted by Huntfamily53
Here is a link to a post I made about how I removed mine by myself with a cherry picker and two 2x4's.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ff-w-pics.html
Pretty easy. I have mine on a landscaping cart, but just picked up those furniture dollies from Harbor Freight as they were on sale. I will put those on either side this weekend.
That was very helpful, Thank you

Old 08-19-2009, 12:54 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
A metal lawn & garden dept. cart from the local home improvement warehouse works real nice for moving it around .Could not find the one here at the house awhile ago . I know someone did not sneek by the security system (two 95# Akitas ) & take it . Then I remembered it was under the stock cab at the body shop .DUH !!

Quick Reply: Pulling the cab off the frame