1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NewBie queation about Tow/Haul Mode Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 AM
bataradena
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NewBie queation about Tow/Haul Mode Transmission

OK, I'm a newbie with some questions that may be buried in this forum but just knowing what to ask is the biggest problem in performing a forum search. So please if there is a link that address my questions let me know and thanks.
First of all I have to confess for over fifteen years I've been a Chevy truck owner but please don't hold that against me. Today after owning a 25 foot toy trailer (7K lbs) my gas truck (454) has come to the end of it's life. So let me say this out loud, Ford 'got it right' in the Super Duty truck! Dodge Cummings looks great but the year I'm interested in or afford, the Dodge automatic transmission come up short for getting the torque on the ground. And for GM well…..I let that go for now.
So saying all this stuff I have came to a decision, 2005 or newer F350 (SRW) or the F250 Super Duty, 4X4, crew cab, long bed is the truck. Can't believe I'm saying that.
I've been reading about issues with the reliability problem for (6.0L Diesel) EGR being the root of the problem, injectors and with the ECM it's appeared the problem had been identified and corrected, making the 6.0L diesel a good reliability engine for towing. Let me know if I have this correct, this is important!
Now I'm reading about the Tow/Haul Mode for the super duty truck and not sure if this is an option or standard equipment for the 2005 Super Duty truck. I have seen on Craiglists some 2005 F250 pictures of the steering column and noticed the only (D 3 2 1) for the transmission, is this a four speed transmission (4R100) not the five speed automatic transmission (5R110w) which I looking for towing.
Thank in advance for replying

Thanks
Byron T (Tucson AZ)

<o>></o>>

Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
As of the 2005 model year, all Superduty's got the Torqshift, regardless of engine choice, and all Torqshifts have tow/haul mode. Excursions are an exception, because no gas Excursion ever got the Torqshift, even in 2005.

The 2003-4 model year Superduty's got the older 4R100 4 speed for gas engine equipped trucks only. All 6.0L diesel equipped trucks got the Torqshift regardless of model year. There are also 2003 7.3L diesels, and they got the older 4R100 as Ford closed out that motor.

BTW, even a Torqshift equipped truck will have P-R-D-3-2-1 on the column shift indicator. There is no OD lockout, and you cannot lock it in 4th gear. You can only lock it in 3rd or 2nd or 1st gear.

But that's not an issue, because the programming of the electronic Torqshift is an engineering marvel, IMO.

I highly recommend a 2005 or later Superduty, for a lot of reasons, not just the engine.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

2004+ Power Stoke and 2005+ Triton gas engine Super Duty trucks have the 5R110W automatic transmission. It is actually a 6 speed transmission, but only 5 of the gears are used. Which 5 gear depend on the air temp outside. In normal operation you have 1-2-3-5-6 shifts. In cold weather mode you get 1-2-3-4-6 (if I recall correctly). 4th/5th gear is not selectable via the column shifter, which is why you see D-3-2-1.

Tow/Haul mode changes the shift map of the transmission, holding the engine in gear a little longer between shifts to develop more RPM so you won't bog as much after the shift.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:26 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bataradena
I've been reading about issues with the reliability problem for (6.0L Diesel) EGR being the root of the problem, injectors and with the ECM it's appeared the problem had been identified and corrected, making the 6.0L diesel a good reliability engine for towing. Let me know if I have this correct, this is important!

Some helpful 7.3L owner will be along shortly to tell you what a POS the 6.0L is. So you've got that going for you.

But seriously, I don't think anyone can say the 6.0L has all the bugs worked out. EGR continues to be a problem, as do weak head fastener design. The electronics are complicated and troubleshooting can be difficult.

That said, some of us love the motor, and your odds of getting a good one improve with the 2005 and later, and you can improve your odds even more by getting an Oasis and Carfax report on any truck you are considering. Any Ford dealer can run an Oasis report, which as far as the motor is concerned will be the most important report. Feel free to come back here to discuss the Oasis report for advice. Oasis will show all the warranty work that Ford has done to the truck. Some items are red flags, others are routine. The experience here can help you sort that out.

Lastly, stay away from any truck that shows signs of having been modified in any manner related to the motor or tuning.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpounds
As of the 2005 model year, all Superduty's got the Torqshift, regardless of engine choice, and all Torqshifts have tow/haul mode.
I can rarely say that about bpounds's posts, but in this case, some Super Duties had manual 6-speeds!!

I think most of your questions were answered, but I will throw this out there for consideration...especially given your "questionable" history.

The 2005 and newer Super Duties have a few improvements not found in earlier model years. These changes include coil-sprung front ends which improve the turning radius, introduction of the Tow Command system (integrated trailer brake controller), and larger disc brakes on all four corners. The latter improvement made it necessary to have at least 17" rims in order to clear the brakes. I mention these particular changes, as they may influence your decision while shopping.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM
bataradena
New User
Well this is one of the friendless groups I have posted to, given my confession as being a chevy guy, I thanks all of you for the great information.

Thanks again.
Byron

Old 08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
Ummmm, friendLESS or friendliest? Are you glad or sad that you stopped by here? Hopefully the FRIENDLESS was just a typo!

Hope you find a good one.... I love my F250 6.0 !

Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
what's wrong with being a Chevy guy?

I'm now partial to both... GM and post 2008 Ford SDs (the 05-07's make my list sometimes)

but anyway, I'm curious as to what you're so mad at your 454 about... but don't answer here, send me a PM if you're willing to divulge that info.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM
bataradena
New User
PM, I'm to new to have PM. Nothing is wrong being a Chevy guy just having some fun with the group. As for the TBI-454 is does OK towing but any hill in front of me I'm down on my knees. If I had a four+OD or even a five speed+OD the 454 would be just fine. Beside, my friend just purchased a new 2009 GMC diesel which tows like a dream without any issue I having with my gasser. Life is short so I'm moving up.
Byron

Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
tradeoffs for letting your truck shift for you, I guess

Old 08-18-2009, 02:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
you will love the towing capabilitiies of the SD. I drive a buick car so..we are friendly...

Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Deluxe05
some Super Duties had manual 6-speeds!!

Oh yeah, there is that - I forgot.

Although, the shift logic is usually not nearly as good.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by TexasRebel
tradeoffs for letting your truck shift for you, I guess
The TorqShift is no slouch...even when pitted against the heavier 5th wheel trailers. Automatic transmissions and the combined engine & transmission management have come a long way in the past decade or so. The alternate strategy engaged in Tow/Haul mode stands up quite well for both acceleration & deceleration (leveraging engine braking) under heavy loads.

I was a die-hard manual transmission fan for 30 years, at least in trucks. The TorqShift was the first auto that actually surprised me...obviously in a good way.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
oh, I always just like to poke fun at automatics...

I've towed with many handshakers, and many slushboxes...

My favorite automatics are the Allison behind the Duramax and the TorqShift behind the PSD. The TH350 w/C lockup, as primative as it is, does quite well, too.

I just have a very strong preference to be in absolute command of my tools

Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
And now I'm jealous of the newer Super Duties...

Goddamnit.

Quick Reply: NewBie queation about Tow/Haul Mode Transmission