1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Als Liner question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Als Liner question

I was planning to spray bedliner today, went to set up the gun for the 50 psi as instructed. I'm not sure of the characteristics of the gun but it continually bleeds air before triggering the gun, is this normal for this or do I have a malfunctioning gun. Being sunday I'm not able to get hold of anyone at Al's liner or the distributor I purchased the product from and was really hoping to get this sprayed today.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Yep, it’s called a full bleed (surprise there) and works on the venturi effect of the passing air creating a low pressure to suck the product. I think!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Old F1
Yep, it’s called a full bleed (surprise there) and works on the venturi effect of the passing air creating a low pressure to suck the product. I think!
So you're saying my gun is normal to bleed air continually?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
So you're saying my gun is normal to bleed air continually?
Maybe, I don’t know what you have, no poorly translated instruction sheet huh?

I’m saying that the cheaper paint guns are called full bleed and use continual air flow to siphon product (venturi) into the spray air rather then pressure guns (more money) that pressure the product and force it up into the spray air. I think.

If this box liner is for the inside of your panel I wouldn’t camp in there for a few days.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:40 AM
nordvik72
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sprayed my lizard skin with the gun supplied and it did the same thing so it should be good to go. Let me know how the AL's liner turns out i was thinking about buying a kit.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Old F1
Maybe, I don’t know what you have, no poorly translated instruction sheet huh?

I’m saying that the cheaper paint guns are called full bleed and use continual air flow to siphon product (venturi) into the spray air rather then pressure guns (more money) that pressure the product and force it up into the spray air. I think.

If this box liner is for the inside of your panel I wouldn’t camp in there for a few days.
The gun is one supplied from Al'S Liner and I'm spraying the inside , underside and rocker panels up to the body line of my 99 chevy half ton which I'm trying to extend the life of. The weather has been a very big obstacle as it won't stop raining. I would prefer to spray outside but I'm being forced to do it inside. I started on the box which is on my rotisserie and have to finish it so it can sit in the weather and then I'll have space to replace the cab corners in out of the rain inside my small shop where my panel also sits under cover. I am concidering spraying the floor of my panel at a later date but still not 100% sure as I may also go with carpet.
Anyways , back to the gun issue, I sprayed the underside of the box this afternoon and the gun works fine. The kit didn't go quite as far as I would have liked but that was because I put it on thicker than it probably needed to be but now have a better feel for the gun and will hopefully do better when spraying the inside of the box and tailgate. I believe I was in panic mode because there is only a 20 minute pot life to the mix, it only took me 10 minutes to spray a gallon, so when I do some more I'll try and relax a bit and do it in maybe 18,lol

Old 08-16-2009, 11:35 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking good!