Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

78-79 ford dana 60 front axle

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 PM
thewhitebeast6.9
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to modify it to fit? Or is it not worth the trouble?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 PM
rsfabrication
Senior User
Nope, he needs to get it, document it and sell it.

*wink*

Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
as others have said - BUY IT (quick like) and re-sell it to buy the right one for you. An 80-90's axle is what would bolt into your truck. The 78/79 axles are worth more though as they are harder to find.

The 78/79 can be made to fit your truck, but not vice-versa (well, easily at least).

Here's a couple pics I took of the 78/79 axle next to an 87 one.
The 78/79 axle is in the BACK in the 1st couple pics.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
I bought one complete hub to hub including brakes, sway bar, etc, for $500.
I helped an an old guy who owned a junkyard pull a motor. He then gave me a '79 Dana 60 for free.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 75F350
Where you at? Location plays a big role on the axles that I buy.
In actuallity the 78/9 axle is not the strongest factory axle available. This generation axle uses tapered inner shafts that have to be upgraded to be strong.
Later model axles actually have stronger factory shafts. These too are high pinion which are stronger than a standard cut gear.
The main desirability comes from the location of the differential and the short side axle tube. See the axle tube length makes this simply a more versitile axle with regards to retrofits. This axle works or can owrk under just about anything, where the later model axle is limited to vehicles with slightly wider frames. Even coil spring set ups for the later axle is not as easy to pull off as the 78/9 axle.
The78/9 axle is just something that is easiest to fit a veriety of applications thats all.
This guy talks like such a loser , I'm glad he doesn't post here anymore. He tries to come off as a high educated guru of unlimited knowledge of superduty springs and Dana 60's!
Couldn't imagine actually hearing someone use these big elaborate words in a face to face conversation about an axle! He's just pissed me off around here knowing of the people he's screwed!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
People he's screwed?

The way you talk about Ed you obviously don't know him. He's helped more people here than you ever will is my bet.

Are you not smart enough to understand the words used in the above post or what? He uses words like that in normal conversations with me all the time. My IQ is high enough to handle it though.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User
Originally Posted by 73 ford guy
This guy talks like such a loser , I'm glad he doesn't post here anymore. He tries to come off as a high educated guru of unlimited knowledge of superduty springs and Dana 60's!
Couldn't imagine actually hearing someone use these big elaborate words in a face to face conversation about an axle! He's just pissed me off around here knowing of the people he's screwed!
In actuallity Ed isn't a loser and hasn't screwed anyone, infact he has helped a lot of people and made their lives easier. Oh and the words you just quoted aren't elaborate for anyone that has a 6th grade education or higher... (Elaborate means big words, education means school)

Posts like yours, where you call someone you don't know a loser because he used "big" words makes you look stupid, ignorant and uneducated, might want to think about that in the future.... (uneducated means you didn't learn much when you went to school which implies you aren't very smart (implies means points out))

If you need any other big words explained let me know...

Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Well I knew my comment would open a can of worms but it's not something I'm making up. He screwed over Fordmanshane on this site with not delivering some tcase shifters after a sent payment to Ed/75f350.
His words just bug me now knowing of that situation , not the fact of it being said like it was in a manual. He does come off as trying to be some 4x4 legend, but I'll admit he has helped many.
I received private messages from Fordmanshane about him getting ripped off and at first I stood up for Ed. I knew it was true after he suddenly stopped posting on this site right at the exact time this was happening!! Hmm fishy, from a guy who posted very regularly!
Chime in Ed if you wanna defend yourself, Chase you seem to know the "legend" himself , ask him about it!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by socal73
In actuallity Ed isn't a loser and hasn't screwed anyone, infact he has helped a lot of people and made their lives easier. Oh and the words you just quoted aren't elaborate for anyone that has a 6th grade education or higher... (Elaborate means big words, education means school)

Posts like yours, where you call someone you don't know a loser because he used "big" words makes you look stupid, ignorant and uneducated, might want to think about that in the future.... (uneducated means you didn't LEAN much when you went to school which implies you aren't very smart (implies means points out))

If you need any other big words explained let me know...
Didn't "LEAN" much???^^^
Sorry no lack of brains here. But not trying to start a beef with anyone else just finally venting on an issue I had with this guy!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
FordmanShane
Elder User
it is what it is

Props 73 ford guy, "where is that wascally wabbit" HAHAHA!! Chase you already know ED is a shumk so quit denying it.. He may have helped meany people, so why the change..why did the oh so beloved 75Dbag rip me off? is he still a great guy? you be the judge. Also I would like to add and as suspected Ed never got back to me...summon FORDWORTH HAHAHA!!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 73 ford guy
Chase you seem to know the "legend" himself , ask him about it!
I have and I posted here. We've gone over this multiple times and I'm over it. I've talked to Ed about it & so did Fordworth. Ed says he sent the things & even had a tracking number for them. I have no reason to doubt he didn't.
As I've said in past posts - I've known Ed for a while. He's helped me a bunch. FordmanSHane I don't know from Adam. Who do you think I'm going to believe/trust?

Since we've beaten this horse in the past and are now taking yet ANOTHER thread off track with it - I'm done posting about it and dropping it.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM
FordmanShane
Elder User
You would think the smell of someone else's crap would have an effect on one, but not in you're case steve... So where is Ed to defend his title?
Why haven't I seen the tracking number? Ed is probably showing you a paper with nothing on it and you can't tell the difference...oooooor..you are making false statements. We can meet Steve if you would like and You can show me where Ed works..one of these days I will be down there and Ill be more then happy to get my range-box back. the proof is there, 73 ford guy can see it

Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Will the gears out of a rear Dana 60 fit in the front Dana 60?

Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
depends if it's hi or low pinion. Hi pinion fronts like the 78/79 - no. The front gears are reverse cut.

Quick Reply: 78-79 ford dana 60 front axle