1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-10 or Powerstroke?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:56 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Subscribed ... yawn

The question always comes down to this:

How much are you going to really use the full hauling ability of a diesel?

Are you prepared for the extra maintenance, and are you going to get rid of it after the warranty expires, or are you capable of working on a diesel yourself? Because you WILL need to work on it after the warranty is up. Sorry boys, just the facts. It's very rare to see ANY of the newer electronically-controlled diesels go for 150K miles without some work eventually. And that work, if not done by yourself, can add up to big $'s.

Search your soul for your true feelings, and you'll find the answer to your question. If you want the "prestige" of a diesel, get it.

If you want something you can get into and turn the key and do almost anything, anytime, and pay a little bit more for fuel overall (compared to LESS for overall maintenance), get the gasser.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krewat
Subscribed ... yawn

Are you prepared for the extra maintenance, and are you going to get rid of it after the warranty expires, or are you capable of working on a diesel yourself? Because you WILL need to work on it after the warranty is up. Sorry boys, just the facts. It's very rare to see ANY of the newer electronically-controlled diesels go for 150K miles without some work eventually. And that work, if not done by yourself, can add up to big $'s.

Search your soul for your true feelings, and you'll find the answer to your question. If you want the "prestige" of a diesel, get it.

If you want something you can get into and turn the key and do almost anything, anytime, and pay a little bit more for fuel overall (compared to LESS for overall maintenance), get the gasser.
Well summed up. Would rep you but rep button still broken. Something about spreading it around......

Old 08-17-2009, 02:40 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree, very well said. If you absolutely need the absolute maximum towing power, you need diesel. If you don't, you need to analyze YOUR priorities.

Another potentially significant factor is the purchase price. When I bought my (used) truck, the V10's were going for at least $4K less than a diesel in comparable condition. I can buy a lot of gas for that!
I also like the lighter weight, smell (or lack thereof) and since I do all my own maintenance and repairs, the ease of working on the gasser.
Also, how much less "gunky" the gassers tend to be. Getting hands and arms clean and odor free after wrenching on diesels is a lot more effort than gassers.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are days I wished I bought a V-10 especially when you have to replace a 6.0 turbo out of your own pocket at 1500 dollars. Crap 1500 dollars would buy one h*ll of alot of gas. The 3 EGR valves I have had to buy in the last 2 years again more money that could have bought gas.

My 03 F-450 gets 12mpg at best a V-10 would get about 10-11 with less maintenance.

I know many V-10 trucks the engines never been touched besides regular maintenance.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:49 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by Krewat
Subscribed ... yawn

I disagree with this Art. But you know I would. lol

Old 08-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
To add another thing when you have steep hills ie 10% and greater it doesn't matter if its gas or diesel they all climb the hill at the same speed. You don't get to the destination any faster.

I think people with diesels forget about the extra costs owning a diesel.

Lets see with a powerstroke for me its 130 dollars for oil the filter is another 20 dollars.

Fuel mileage with a diesel truck is long gone only the old IDI Fords got any fuel mileage. A 7.3 PSD in a OBS is second. Once the "Superduty" body came out the 7.3 got less mpg (heavier trucks). The 6.0 wasn't too bad on fuel I'am getting the same 12mpg as I got out of a 7.3 and the 6.0 is in a heavier truck.

The 6.4 is a pig on fuel because of the emmissions.

To buy a brandnew diesel truck in Canada the diesel option is 8 grand or more and for what. The 6.4 you can't work on the cab has to come off. Wait till that sucker is out of warranty and the repairs come out of your pocket.

You want a diesel for a diesel.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:27 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenworth
To add another thing when you have steep hills ie 10% and greater it doesn't matter if its gas or diesel they all climb the hill at the same speed. You don't get to the destination any faster.

I think people with diesels forget about the extra costs owning a diesel.

Lets see with a powerstroke for me its 130 dollars for oil the filter is another 20 dollars.

Fuel mileage with a diesel truck is long gone only the old IDI Fords got any fuel mileage. A 7.3 PSD in a OBS is second. Once the "Superduty" body came out the 7.3 got less mpg (heavier trucks). The 6.0 wasn't too bad on fuel I'am getting the same 12mpg as I got out of a 7.3 and the 6.0 is in a heavier truck.

The 6.4 is a pig on fuel because of the emmissions.

To buy a brandnew diesel truck in Canada the diesel option is 8 grand or more and for what. The 6.4 you can't work on the cab has to come off. Wait till that sucker is out of warranty and the repairs come out of your pocket.

You want a diesel for a diesel.
I have never paid 130 bucks for an oil change! That is crazy!!! As far as mileage you must be talking about towing or you have a low geared 450 or 550.

If I was buying a pickup just for throwing miles on the highway I would not hesitate to buy a diesel the fuel saving alone would be worth it. I have almost 200k on mine and have not had anything crazy maintenance or repair wise.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
My truck weighs 9700lbs empty and has 4:30 gears 6spd and I run on 10% grades everyday. The best I can get out of it is 12mpg.

I'am running synthetic oil now a 5 gallon pail is 135.00 dollars you don't use the full pail but its close.

I only put 30,000kms (18,600 miles) a year on my truck I don't drive around for no reason. My work is close to where I live I don't need to drive far away to get to work or my hauling.

Most people I know only drive what I put on in a year. I burn about 5200 dollars in diesel fuel a year. Diesel fuel is about 3.30 a gallon.

My truck only turns a wheel if its getting me to work or its working otherwise pleasure driving is out of the picture.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I disagree with this Art. But you know I would. lol
My one mistake was not realizing he was talking about a pre-owned, 2000-2004, which means, most likely, a 7.3. I wouldn't even suggest he go with an early 6.0

The 7.3 is a proven winner in the long-run. Like yours

If he was talking brand-new, I dare anyone here to say whether or not their 6.4 has ever NOT been in for some work before 150K.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
powerstroke1350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenworth
My truck weighs 9700lbs empty and has 4:30 gears 6spd and I run on 10% grades everyday. The best I can get out of it is 12mpg.

I'am running synthetic oil now a 5 gallon pail is 135.00 dollars you don't use the full pail but its close.

I only put 30,000kms (18,600 miles) a year on my truck I don't drive around for no reason. My work is close to where I live I don't need to drive far away to get to work or my hauling.

Most people I know only drive what I put on in a year. I burn about 5200 dollars in diesel fuel a year. Diesel fuel is about 3.30 a gallon.

My truck only turns a wheel if its getting me to work or its working otherwise pleasure driving is out of the picture.
Gravelrat? From lawnsite??

Old 08-17-2009, 04:31 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
I have almost 200k on mine and have not had anything crazy maintenance or repair wise.[/quote]

I say you back this up with an OASIS report!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by powerstroke1350
Gravelrat? From lawnsite??
I don't know who your talking about what is your lawnsite name ?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
powerstroke1350
Senior User
ha! txnslighting. I knew it. You're the only person ive ever seen who says I'am..ha!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
The F-350 my brother has he just bought not too long ago. The biggest difference bettween the 7.3 and my 6.0 is my brothers 7.3 you can step on it right away and the power is there. It doesn't have that lag like my 6.0.

I haven't driven the 7.3 truck for a long enough distance to see what its comparative wise to my 6.0 in the hills.

My truck is 3 years newer than my brothers truck and has 100,000km (62,000 miles) less than my brothers 7.3.

His truck the paint is faded it has rust and the cab squeeks and rattles. It was all stuff I didn't want to deal with. I had enough with older trucks. My truck still smells new.

There are all things we should have or could have but do they ever get done.

I think the 7.3 purists would have probably ordered a 2003 with a 7.3 engine if they had the money then.

The 08-09 are growing on me but I still don't like the interior mainly the looks of the dash etc. The 6.4 crammed under the hood is another scarey sight.

The 6.4 has power and I haven't heard any complaints about lack of power.

What is going to happen with these used diesel trucks on the market when the warranty runs out. Nobody is going to buy a truck that is going to cost you a fortune to fix.

Atleast with the 6.0 you can modifiy it and make it run like a old style engine like a 7.3. Remove the emmissions crap and fix the weak links. The 6.4 has too much emmissions crap and the twin turbos and the fact you have to remove the cab to work on the engine. The 6.0 doesn't have couple thousand dollars worth of radiators infront of it.

The new 6.7 is probably just as bad as the 6.4 .

Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by powerstroke1350
ha! txnslighting. I knew it. You're the only person ive ever seen who says I'am..ha!
I notice in your sig here you got rid of the noose around your neck aka Duramax

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V-10 or Powerstroke?