Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Junior User

ford1puller is starting off with a positive reputation.
clutch hard to push down

i have a 1987 f150 302 4speed manual. when i push the clutch down it dosent get easier when its on the floor. the truck drives and shifts ok but i think it could be beter. it feels like pushing the brake down. today i sat in a f150 just like mine and pushed that clutch down and it got to a point and it felt like a spring lol
idk if there is any ajustments or pressure plate is bad or what.
what do you guys think
thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Posting Guru

amish77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is there a notable difference between when you first push on the clutch and when you engage the pressure plate? Do you remember this being any different when you were driving the other truck?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Junior User

the other truck dosent run but they said it had a new clutch. its hard to discribe u know how u push a clutch down and its hard at first to push and then it drops to the floor. mine dosent drop u have to push it all the way.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:06 AM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
Could be a bad pressure plate. However on these trucks there is a cunningly designed pedal spring. With the pedal returning from about half way down the spring helps it to come fully up but when you push the pedal down from half way the spring then helps the pedal go on down.
So first thing to do is check the pedal spring.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Junior User

thanks ill look into that
that makes sense cuz i dont feel any spring asistance when i push the pedel down
Old 08-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Senior User

framerboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had an 1987 f150 with a similar problem, it turned out that the firewall was flexing when I pushed the clutch pedal. At the time Ford made a reinforcement plate to take care of this problem, we installed it and all was well. I finally sold that little gem with almost 300,000 miles on it. Try
searching the forums for firewall flexing, there is a lot of info on this problem.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Junior User

when i first got it i checked were the slave cylinder was and the whole plate was moving put a big washer in one of the studs and it got beter. i still think the fire was plat is moving i dont like how ford made that
where did u get ur reinforced plate?
thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Senior User

framerboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had it done in 1996 when the truck had 140,000 miles on it. It was a Ford only part and I bought it at my local Ford dealer, and had my mechanic install it. I would call a dealer and see if they still sell this part.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1997, 1999, clutch, f150, f250, f350, ford, hard, in, pedal, push, reinforcement, start, suddenly, truck