Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
New User

waterfalljoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Front bumper replacement 2008 on F350

All,
This forum has really helped me out over the past few months to learn about and improve my truck (towing mirrors threads, headache rack threads, etc).
I just finished up removing the stock front bumper from my 2008 F350 XLT and replacing it with a Buckstop classic II. For anyone attempting the stock bumper removal here are a few hints (some borrowed from the instructions): Place some masking tape over the tow hooks before you begin to prevent scrapes from the stock bumper coming off.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3540/...6c93e708c9.jpg
There are a couple ways to release the bumper from the truck at the area in front of the wheel--remove the bolt that also removes the triangular/trapezoidal hanger. If you leave the hanger on the truck it could be unsightly depending on what you plan on putting back on.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3449/...d151f30dde.jpg
The fog lights unsnap easily enough and the factory wiring can then be tapped into for aftermarket fog lights. If you purchased a lighting kit, this also leaves you with a switch and wire for some other project...
Overall, the job was very straightforward, the fit and finish of the new buckstop was great--making for a hassle free install other than the deadlift of the 300 lbs of new bumper.
Again, thanks to all the members who contribute...I have learned more about this new truck in a few months than I ever knew about my previous vehicles.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3461/...26b381631a.jpg
Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Senior User

jrab01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Joe -
great instructions, and some good ideas too.

judging by your third picture I think the buck stops there

I hope the bumper I am buying looks as good as yours.

J
Old 08-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
by how much does your hood clear the guard?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:17 PM
New User

jrab01--Which bumper are you looking into?

TexasRebel-- When everything is buttoned up there is a solid 6 inches+ between the grill and the guard. However, because of the way our hoods open up with the grill attached there is less than an inch of clearance as you open the hood.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
there is less than an inch of clearance as you open the hood.
that's what I was after, thanks.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Senior User

I am about to pull the trigger on a ToughCountry Apache replacement bumper with a universal winch mount.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:36 PM
New User

TexasRebel-- I do mean less than an inch... you peaked my curiosity so I went out and checked it again. It is a couple millimeters. So close that you could (if you wanted to) flex the hood/grill and make contact.

jrab01-- That apache looks real solid. Best of luck. Just for a little background, here is why I went for a more solid front end. Drunk driver just about did me in head on.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/...ac736776b8.jpg
I know the bumper would not have protected me from that collision, but a foot or two one way...
Old 08-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
So close that you could (if you wanted to) flex the hood/grill and make contact.
I've toyed with the idea of either a replacement bumper or a grill guard, but knew that the whole grill being attached to the hood presented a problem. If I have a grill guard on, I'll end up using it for one reason or another, and probably bend it enough that contact always happens.

I saw one custom full replacement job that had a guard that rotated forward when you took two pins out...don't know how sturdy it was though
Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfalljoe View Post
TexasRebel-- I do mean less than an inch... you peaked my curiosity so I went out and checked it again. It is a couple millimeters. So close that you could (if you wanted to) flex the hood/grill and make contact.

jrab01-- That apache looks real solid. Best of luck. Just for a little background, here is why I went for a more solid front end. Drunk driver just about did me in head on.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/...ac736776b8.jpg
I know the bumper would not have protected me from that collision, but a foot or two one way...
I've gotten feed back from a few people who seem to think the toughcountry bumpers are built better than (or at least built equally as well) as the ranch hand bumpers.

I take it that was your old truck? Glad you're ok. Looks like a pretty violent hit.

J
Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Posting Guru

bayou barataria is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]This one clears the grille fine, but the lights touch it, I just flex the grille in, no problem. The grille probably would flex 1" easily.
2008 ford f-250 cc 5.4 super duty , raider hi rise camper top with thule ladder racks, front winch bumper top gun, rear bumper top gun,12,000 lb. winch, 98 gal. aux tank, on board 12 volt puma air compressor w/10gal tank and 50' auto hose reel,1000 amp 2nd battery,1,000,2,500,6,000 watt power inverters, 9" hid lights, running boards, air horns by hadley, xm radio, fac. 6 cd nav. center, air bags, cb,2-4'12volt flourescent lights in back.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 PM