1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Location of AC Compressor on '81 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Location of AC Compressor on '81 engine

On a 1981 F-150 with AC, where on the block would the AC compressor be mounted?

Until recently, I thought it mounted on this large bracket right above the alternator, but upon closer observation, I figured out that it doesn't appear to be so, due to the fact that the belt for it has nowhere to fit on the water pump.

I saw a page from a brochure recently that showed a pic of an '81 frame with engine, and it appeared that a smog pump mounted above the alternator, and the AC compressor mounted above the PS pump between and above it and the water pump.

I'm curious because I plan to get the AC working on my truck, and I need to know where the compressor goes. Aside from the large bracket I mentioned earlier, I see nowhere else to mount it.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it should be above the PS pump.
the one above the alternator is the Smog Pump.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Someone must have removed the bracket as well as the compressor then, since I see no other unused brackets aside from the one I've mentioned. Are the AC brackets very hard to find?

And is it possible to run the AC compressor's belt without a smog pump installed?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
no to question 1.
and I don't know about the second part.

but I have a 351, and I don't plan on putting on the A/C, so hey, if someone else chimes in and says that my bracket will work, and that I can take it off without affecting the power steering pumps alignment, it's all yours.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Sounds good to me!

I'm not sure if the belt routing is the same on the 302 and 351, but my PS pump has one belt that runs it and the water pump, so if it's the same on both engines, you could probably use that type of belt.

And my truck has a 302, btw. I shoulda stated that in my first post, lol.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
yeah, just waiting for someone else to spread some help around here haha
i got a compressor from the PO, but from what I can tell it's seized, so I kinda lost all interest in restoring the A/C on the truck.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
PO?

How can you tell if it's siezed? I have a compressor off an '84 parts truck we had years ago, and the pulley and clutch seem to spin freely. I just haven't gotten around to putting power to it to see if it engages or not. My truck has everything except the compressor on it, so all I really think I need to do, assuming the lines aren't worn out, is install the compressor, replace the evaporator-drier, and then do the usual stuff to prepare it for freon.

I can tell you now, it'll be a strange day when I can crank up the AC in my truck....lol

Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
it was a strange day when i got the A/C working in my 92 topaz haha.

and i believe it's seized, because it doesnt spin freely anymore, and it has that "stuck" feel to it.
hard to explain, but I won't know for sure either until I get bored and hook it into an engine bay. (which most likely won't happen)

Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
lol

Mine doesn't feel that way. Both parts can be turned rather smoothly and with ease. And I know what you mean.

TBH I'd give it another shot. Imagine how glad you'll be that you did in the middle of a hot summer day. :P

Old 08-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
yeah, but in Nebraska we have that 100% chance of it turning from Hell to the Arctic in 15 minutes haha.

idk, I may give it a shot, but i'm not set (budget wise) to get the a/c running quite yet.
need to get the leak from the transmission fixed first. i haven't begun to diagnose that yet

Old 08-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
yeah, but in Nebraska we have that 100% chance of it turning from Hell to the Arctic in 15 minutes haha.

idk, I may give it a shot, but i'm not set (budget wise) to get the a/c running quite yet.
need to get the leak from the transmission fixed first. i haven't begun to diagnose that yet

Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Sounds like the weather here in Texas, lol...

I know what you mean. I have to do everything a little at a time.

Which transmission does it have? My C6 used to have a bad modulator valve that let fluid be pulled out through the vacuum hose and into the engine; I fixed that a few years ago, but I've yet to fix the leaky pan gasket. LOL

Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
I have the C6 also.
I can see where the drip is coming from, but I don't know the actual leaks location yet.
it's driving me nuts.

oh, and it only leaks when the engine is on, so that leads me to believe that it's in a line somewhere, which is even more of a pain for me.

you can see the bracket for the A/C in this picture.

from what I can remember, it is going to be a pain to get out haha

Old 08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Do you have a pic of your compressor? Mine doesn't look like it'd fit that bracket. I believe it has four little legs on it with threaded holes going front-to-back in each one. :\

You might be able to find the leak easier if you get some degreaser and clean off your transmission housing, lines, etc., and watch for where fresh fluid is coming from.

One thing I can say about the C6, it's one beast of a transmission. Mine's been run low on fluid numerous times in the past, yet it still works well and doesn't make any strange noises.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan
Do you have a pic of your compressor? Mine doesn't look like it'd fit that bracket. I believe it has four little legs on it with threaded holes going front-to-back in each one. :\

You might be able to find the leak easier if you get some degreaser and clean off your transmission housing, lines, etc., and watch for where fresh fluid is coming from.

One thing I can say about the C6, it's one beast of a transmission. Mine's been run low on fluid numerous times in the past, yet it still works well and doesn't make any strange noises.
I will get a picture of the compressor for you tomorrow, i'll get it mounted in the bay and get a pic of that for you too.
I would get it now, but I forgot the alarm passcode for the garage....

Quick Reply: Location of AC Compressor on '81 engine