1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best f350 replacement batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
figurhead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best f350 replacement batteries

My batteries appear to be the original ones from 2003, and they have gone "dead" 2 times in the past 3 months, when not used for 3-4 days. By "dead", I mean everything runs (doors unlock, radio works 12VDC of course), but there is not enough 24VDC CCA's to turn over the engine; thus they are essentially 'dead'.

Should I replace the original batteries with the (1) identical MOTORCRAFT BXT-65-750 (750CCA) ML, (2) get the Costco equivalent, or (3) should I go with a pair of OPTIMA Red-Top AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries?

I've always liked the Optima's for my F150, sine they could discharge completely many times without ruining them. But now I am a diesel-man, and I know CCA's are VERY important. I've heard that the AGM cell batteries have better longevity in hot AND cold environments, better with vibration, etc.. I am Southern California, and will not see snow or anything colder than 55 degrees C every-once-in-a-never. It's generally 60-100 C all the time. But it appears that the Optima Spiral AGM is a better all-around battery as compared to a standard lead-acid, just more expensive. I think that they are close to $120 each at Costco.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Optima "Yellow" Top batteries... deep cycle is the best!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:24 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Figurhead,
Even with the possible issues with the Optima Yellow tops I would have to recommend them. I did have an issue last winter with two times the battery drained while sitting, but I ended up getting a replacement (no charge to me) while still in the winter months and had no problems since. When I had the original replaced I knew I was going to go dual battery so I purchased a second unit. I was able to find a second battery with only 2 digits off a match (xxxxx1 and xxxxx3 they say it could help).

Bottom line with my yellow top:
I have been very impressed with how well it holds up for me. There was a couple of times while working on the Truck I had left the radio on and one night the radio and marker lights on over night and it fired up just fine for me.
They don't seem to like extreme cold, but somehow mine has pulled trough for me very well. We'll see this winter if it holds up after a solid year of use.

Rick...

Originally Posted by figurhead
My batteries appear to be the original ones from 2003, and they have gone "dead" 2 times in the past 3 months, when not used for 3-4 days. By "dead", I mean everything runs (doors unlock, radio works 12VDC of course), but there is not enough 24VDC CCA's to turn over the engine; thus they are essentially 'dead'.

Should I replace the original batteries with the (1) identical MOTORCRAFT BXT-65-750 (750CCA) ML, (2) get the Costco equivalent, or (3) should I go with a pair of OPTIMA Red-Top AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries?

I've always liked the Optima's for my F150, sine they could discharge completely many times without ruining them. But now I am a diesel-man, and I know CCA's are VERY important. I've heard that the AGM cell batteries have better longevity in hot AND cold environments, better with vibration, etc.. I am Southern California, and will not see snow or anything colder than 55 degrees C every-once-in-a-never. It's generally 60-100 C all the time. But it appears that the Optima Spiral AGM is a better all-around battery as compared to a standard lead-acid, just more expensive. I think that they are close to $120 each at Costco.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:28 PM
figurhead
Senior User
The Red Top is a starting battery with 1000 CCA @ 32 C / 800 CCA @ 0 C.

The Yellow Top is a deep cycle/dual purpose battery with 870 CCA @ 32 C / 750 CCA @ 0 C.

The Blue Top is a deep cycle/dual purpose battery with 1000 CCA @ 32 C / 800 CCA @ 0 C.

I've always used the Blue Tops (better starting CCA and DeepCycle), but.......It looks like you guys like the yellow tops.

Costco has the blues in stock, no prices over the phone, but I think they're $100-120. They're all are at PepBoys/Kragen: Yellow= $190 and Red=$170.

I think I'll have to pick the Blues for the price break at costco.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
but there is not enough 24VDC CCA's to turn over the engine; thus they are essentially 'dead'.

FYI, your starter is also 12VDC. No 24VDC on the Superduty. The second battery is wired parallel, and it's just reserve cranking power.

I like Interstate batteries. Just installed mine a couple weeks ago.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Figurhead,

Good point. I am a bit of an audiophile so it was yellow tops I needed. Eventually I'll be installing at least a 12,000lbs winch so I may need to re evaluate my battery needs but maybe with dual yellows I'll be ok.

Rick...

The Yellow Top is a deep cycle/dual purpose battery with 870 CCA @ 32 C / 750 CCA @ 0 C.

The Blue Top is a deep cycle/dual purpose battery with 1000 CCA @ 32 C / 800 CCA @ 0 C.

I've always used the Blue Tops (better starting CCA and DeepCycle), but.......It looks like you guys like the yellow tops.

Costco has the blues in stock, no prices over the phone, but I think they're $100-120. They're all are at PepBoys/Kragen for $160-$200.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM
juneau76
Postmaster

Wow, this is the first Optima only thread I've seen. I would've said Red Top, but I don't get your math. The red and blue seem to have the same specs. What am I missing?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM
figurhead
Senior User
bpounds, thanks for the clarification. I always thought the 24VDC was for more CCA's, but now I know. I'll have to check the application and availability of Interstate. BUt when kids watch DVD's for a while, I can relax knowing the Optima can run dead 350 times before ruined. My wife's minivan battery died everytime the kids watched dvd's for an hour. I installed a blue optima, and they can watch for many hours, and it will still start the car in a crunch. I just wanted to see what people like for the SD. And I think my gut feeling to go with the cheaper priced Costco Blue is winning over.

Your clear on the math. Both Red and Blue's are the same CCA's, but the Blues are also Deep Cycle (Red top is a starter only), and can discharge 350x without warping the plates. Standard lead/acid's can discharge 100% 2-3x and then the plates warp and the battery is toast (with experience and what I read).

The RED = 36 month warrantee
The Blue = 24 month warrantee
The Yellow = 36 month warrantee

It looks like the Yellow's are the best for this application, but 2 = $360, while I can get 2 Blue's for $240.

I'm ready to install my new 1200W 5 channel amp (& whole system/headunit/nav/speakers) so I like the thought of.... and have a good history with.... the Blue tops.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:58 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Your clear on the math. Both Red and Blue's are the same CCA's, but the Blues are also Deep Cycle (Red top is a starter only), and can discharge 350x without warping the plates. Standard lead/acid's can discharge 100% 2-3x and then the plates warp and the battery is toast (with experience and what I read).
Ahh, I understand. Thanks for the info. So which model Blue Top is it?

Old 08-11-2009, 04:32 PM
figurhead
Senior User
Costco has the standard Blue Top D34M. Also, the blue tops have a side post, which I may need. It appears that the Original Motorcraft batts are not very tall, and I don't want the posts to hit the hood.

The Blue Top D34M has 750CCA@0C & 870CCA@32C, but has more reverse capacity (120 vs 100 @ 25amps) than the standard 34M. I noticed that when the battery appeared dead with hours of dvd's (on the wife's minivan) but still had enough to start and not leave her stranded.

Also, I get 2% back at the end of the year, so the blue at costco give me a little discount, plus about $70 off each battery.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:32 PM
figurhead
Senior User
I couldn't delete an inadvertant double post, so I decided to post some info I just found:

I just found that the OEM Motorcraft batteries have a 3/36 warrantee. So I guess 6 years on these puppies wasn't bad, although I only got the last few months of use.

For some reason, Costco, here in SoCal, doesn't carry the Red or Yellow tops; and I have a hard time paying $190 x 2 for the yellow.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:48 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I just found that the OEM Motorcraft batteries have a 3/36 warrantee.

I think that's just part of your bumper to bumper warranty. If you go buy Motorcraft batteries, their warranty is competitve. 84 months I think, but don't quote me. I priced them when I bought the Interstate because others here at FTE have recommended them, just don't remember the exact details. Just remember that they were in the ballpark with both price and warranty.

There was a thread on batteries here about 3 weeks ago.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:00 PM
figurhead
Senior User
Aren't most battery warrantees pro-rated? The longer you have them, the less $$ they give you for the dead battery. I think most batt's are generally warranteed for 3 years, then the (60 or 84 month) pro-rating starts.

dpounds, i'll look for that battery thread.

OPTIMA website recommends the Yellow top for F350

The Optima's give you a 24 or 36 month free replacement. No pro-rating.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Aren't most battery warrantees pro-rated?

Most batteries today will have a free replacement warranty period, plus a longer prorated period. For example, the Interstates are 36 month free replacement, 84 month prorated.

I tend to shop based solely on the free replacement period. Prorating just forces you to buy into the same product.

Here is that other thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...questions.html

Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 PM
figurhead
Senior User
Thanks for the link, I just finished reading all the posts.

I just checked the batteries; they didn't last the work day. Luckily they made it to the gym and then to work this morning. The charger is on them now, and then off to costco for the two-fer. Except I have to pay for both batteries. No buy-one get-one-free deal for these puppies.

I have found that the standard lead acid battery and the Optima's last about the same period of time (5-6 years) under normal use. But if you discharge them (a few times) completely, for whatever reason, the Optima is worth the (increased) costco price for the ability to multiple-times completely-discharge without ruining (350x).

Quick Reply: Best f350 replacement batteries