Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Junk yard or wrecking yard suggestions

Old 08-29-2009, 11:56 AM
dwcford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Junk yard or wrecking yard suggestions

Hello all,

I'll get to my question first and then bore you with the details if you want to read it....

Looking for some parts for my '66 F100 with a 351W in it. Specifically the wiring harness for my ignition system (Duraspark II). Does anyone know of any local yards (I live in North Bend/Seattle) that has a good selection of 351W?

Now for the details as to where I'm at and what I'm doing. My knowledge is very limited with working on vehicles. That's kind of why I bought this truck in the first place. Anyway, the truck stopped running in the spring time and has sit since then. So far, I have replaced the distributor (with the help of a friend to make sure it was installed correctly). After that, it actually started but died again (I'm assuming timing is off). From there, I replaced the fuel line, fuel filter, plugs, and wires. Still not starting. So it sat again. I finally went to NAPA and picked up a new coil (went from a square one to a canister type) and ignition module. Found a wiring diagram on the site here and did some splicing. Still won't start. I'm not getting any type of spark from the coil now.

My thought is that I F'd up the wiring and probably shorted the module. That's why I'm looking for a harness with the original pigtails to give an idiot like me someplace to start. If I can at least get spark from my coil, I can then trouble shoot the timing, module and whatever else I can find.

Facts: I'm an idiot. Haven't been able to locate numbers on the engine to tell me exactly what year the engine is (I'm guessing mid 70's to early 80's) Manifold is from '75 Econoline. Did I mention I'm an idiot? My trouble shooting techniques are slim to non. I want to keep this simple and low cost. I have been reading that the duraspark is a good system. I don't know the pros/cons of keeping the electronic ignition vs. going to points.

Any and all help would be appreciated. This vehicle might be my primary mode of transportation soon and I need to get her dialed in.

Thanks and I apologize for the long post.

Dan

Old 08-29-2009, 12:51 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Old 08-29-2009, 01:23 PM
dwcford
Junior User
Thanks. I've been looking in that area (by the starter) but haven't found anything so far. Not a lot of wiggle room.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:37 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Probably is behind the starter... and the only way to see it is to remove the starter, just my guess and my luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 AM
dwcford
Junior User
haha. I'm sure it is. I'm really getting to know my way around the truck now. I think the kids toys are going to go outside and move the truck into the garage so I can extend my working hours on it.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Lvcrprts
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep truck takes priority over kid toys LOL. Just need a hard floor and some light and you can practically live out there until the woman gets mad at you hehe. Eaten many cold dinners cause mine would be in the fridge when i finally decided to stop. Just watch out for the kids..they will sneak a tool away when your not looking mine did this all the time spent more time looking for my tools than working on my truck but did the same to my dad so i am getting my reward haha.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 AM
dwcford
Junior User
ahhh, the wife..... she's already mad at me (forever). That's why I'm trying to get this up and running cuz it might be my daily driver for a bit. lol

Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 AM
clgreer
Senior User
These modules do fail often, but the system as a whole is pretty good. they arent to expensive either. just look at what color gromet is on it and call your local parts store and ask them to order one. i get mine from napa for about $35 and has a 6 month waranty. Also one thing i have learned is that if you mess with it at all and i mean AT ALL. disconect the battery before you start......they get fried easilly......