1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What is the "Custom" option package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:11 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the "Custom" option package?

My truck is an F-150 Custom; what does the "Custom" mean? Can anyone explain how it differed from the other types (Ranger, XLT, etc.)?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
* Custom- Base model with manual locks/windows, vinyl seat, and black rubber floor mat.
* Ranger- Intermediate trim that added a color-keyed floor mat, extra chrome, and woodtone dash trim.
* Ranger XLT- A step up from the Ranger that added better seat trim, a color-keyed headliner, color-keyed carpeting, aluminum tailgate trim and optional power windows/locks.
* Ranger Lariat- a step above the XLT that added a plusher interior.

straight from the greatness of Wikipedia

Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Ah, thanks for the info. And Wikipedia is awesome.

Is it very hard to find the woodtone dash trim and door panels from the Ranger package? I saw a pic from a brochure of an '81 Ranger XLT Lariat (or so it said on the radio trim panel), and the woodtone areas looked great.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 AM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dash and radio rosewood or burlewood panels are pretty easy to find. Getting a decent set of matching door panels is VERY hard to find.

They get beat up pretty quick just from being on the door and even rolling the windows up and down.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
I know what you mean about beat-up door panels....the passenger-side one on my truck has a ring around the window-crank opening where the back of the handle rubbed against it. And that's from regular use... :\

Thanks for the info once again.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Number Dummy can shed some light on the subject. But IIRC a custom you could get fully loaded, but you had to orded each option individually. While a Lariats options came in groups

Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Number Dummy can shed some light on the subject. But IIRC a custom you could get fully loaded, but you had to orded each option individually. While a Lariats options came in groups
i think you're right.

I remember having discussed this somewhere in the past...

Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmeyer1990
* Custom- Base model with manual locks/windows, vinyl seat, and black rubber floor mat.
* Ranger- Intermediate trim that added a color-keyed floor mat, extra chrome, and woodtone dash trim.
* Ranger XLT- A step up from the Ranger that added better seat trim, a color-keyed headliner, color-keyed carpeting, aluminum tailgate trim and optional power windows/locks.
* Ranger Lariat- a step above the XLT that added a plusher interior.

straight from the greatness of Wikipedia

That's not 100% accurate. But Wikipedia seldom is.

CUSTOM: 1980-1981 only. Customizeable baseline. Could be ordered with no options or be ordered with every option avaliable, with minor exceptions..

most comon options on the CUSTOM were A/C, ammeter and oil pressure gauges, tu-tone paint, sliding rear windows, dual tanks etc...

In 1982 the CUSTOM was dropped for a no-name baseline, that was options restricted. You had to buy a XL, XLT or XLT Lariat to get certain options. The Custom was brought back in 1987 due to demand, dropped again sometime after, brought back in 1992, and dropped a third time, unlikely to return.

Power Windows and door locks were optional on all the trim lines. Didn't come standard on any of them.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Ah. That makes sense, since mine's not exactly plain jane. Was the C6 trans a standard option all around, or was it something you had to order as an option?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
an automatic trans has never been a standard feature, it has always been an option. Well at least till 2010, now automatics are standard and manuals are not avaliable

Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
That's not 100% accurate. But Wikipedia seldom is.

CUSTOM: 1980-1981 only. Customizeable baseline. Could be ordered with no options or be ordered with every option avaliable, with minor exceptions..

most comon options on the CUSTOM were A/C, ammeter and oil pressure gauges, tu-tone paint, sliding rear windows, dual tanks etc...

In 1982 the CUSTOM was dropped for a no-name baseline, that was options restricted. You had to buy a XL, XLT or XLT Lariat to get certain options. The Custom was brought back in 1987 due to demand, dropped again sometime after, brought back in 1992, and dropped a third time, unlikely to return.

Power Windows and door locks were optional on all the trim lines. Didn't come standard on any of them.
I only copied and pasted the part that was relevant to his post, and year of truck.
In 1980 and 1981, there was:
  • Custom- Base model with manual locks/windows, vinyl seat, and black rubber floor mat.
  • Ranger- Intermediate trim that added a color-keyed floor mat, extra chrome, and woodtone dash trim.
  • Ranger XLT- A step up from the Ranger that added better seat trim, a color-keyed headliner, color-keyed carpeting, aluminum tailgate trim and optional power windows/locks.
  • Ranger Lariat- a step above the XLT that added a plusher interior.
For 1982–1986:
  • Base - basically the same as the Custom of the previous years.
  • XL - replaced the intermediate Ranger trim for 1982 as the Ranger name would be used for Ford's new compact truck.
  • XLS- a new trim level that featured a blacked-out grille, bumpers, headlight bezels, and windshield trim. It also featured a stripe graphics package and black and silver dash trim. Available exterior colors were red, silver, and black.
  • XLT Lariat- featured floor carpeting, color-keyed headliner, a standard chrome grille, and optional power windows/door locks. In 1985 the tailgate trim was changed to a "flat" full width aluminum with a red "reflector" towards the bottom with chrome FORD letters.
that's the entire wiki entry for the 7th generations trim packages

Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
All of which I have, except for the sliding rear window. I guess someone got happy with the option sheet?

Oh ok. I myself prefer the older autos, since there's no computer and, from what I can tell, they're a bit less complicated internally. But I'm not claiming to be an expert. lol

Since the tu-tone paint was mentioned: Is it possible for auto body shops to match the factory colors using the color codes listed on the VIN tag?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Not exactly.

The options on the CUSTOMs also came in groups.

Convenience Group
-Intermittant Wipers
-12" Day night mirror
-RH Visor Vanity Mirror
-Moulded Bin on bottom of doors "Carpet Covered on Ranger XLT"
-Headlamps on warning Buzzer
-Right door courtesy light switch on Custom

Light Group
-Underhood worklight
-Glovebox lamp
-Ashtray Lamp
-Dome lamp with map light
-Cargo Box Light
-Headlamps on Warning Buzzer
-Right door Courtesy Lamp Switch on custom.

Etc...

Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Don't have any of that, except for the ashtray lamp. And I've always thought that was just from the light for the AC/heater controls.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan
All of which I have, except for the sliding rear window. I guess someone got happy with the option sheet?

Oh ok. I myself prefer the older autos, since there's no computer and, from what I can tell, they're a bit less complicated internally. But I'm not claiming to be an expert. lol

Since the tu-tone paint was mentioned: Is it possible for auto body shops to match the factory colors using the color codes listed on the VIN tag?
They should be able to match the paint exactly. Yes.

The color codes are on the safety certification lable under the driver door striker bolt on the "B" pillar. Post the code and I can tell you what the factory names are for your colors.

And auto paint stores can match the code as well.

Quick Reply: What is the "Custom" option package?