1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

using factory steering column with rack frontend

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 PM
pipman76
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
using factory steering column with rack frontend

i am getting ready to do the ford aerostar front end under my 58 f-100 ,i think i wanna keep the look more vintage inside the cab witht the column but dont have any clue what i have to do to modify the cloumn to make it work wiith the universal shaft that connects from the rack to the column
Does anyone have pictures or step by steps instructions how to do this

Old 08-09-2009, 11:30 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not quite step by step - you need to cut the column just berofe it enters the box - you will find an outer column cover the column and the horn eire that runs thru and out the bottom of the box - cut the wire and pull it out the top.
You need to install a bearing in the column cover that also fits the original shaft. When found and before the bearing is installed you nrr to cut the outer column cover to expose the column shaft enough to work on the coupler between the old shaft and the new shaft.
Note: anyone want to wager that I missed a couple of steps? If I look at the screen too long my eyes start bouncing.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:20 PM
reg1952
Senior User
Thats got most of it. I am doing the samething on my 52 but have not got that far. I cut the shaft off the box. Now I need a bearing in the bottom of the column. Once thats done the column will be shortened and mount on a new piece of floor that will cover the old hole for the pedals and where the column use to go though. Then it just a matter of getting the right u-joints to reach the rack.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Some where - most likely here - there was a thread with drawing/pics - maybe hotrod.com

Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found a bearing at the hardware store that will work with a little work. It was out on the floor with all of the special nuts and bolts. I think it is a mower wheel bearing for a stepped bolt. The OD is correct for the column ID. The steering shaft mic's a few thousands over the bearing ID which is 3/4"(?). I just carefully dressed the shaft with a file. You will need to buy a lock ring which will be in the same area. It has a Allen screw to lock it to the shaft.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Column

I'm using original steering shft, "spliced" to the yoke of my 90 donar, to rack and pinion steering. Have never road tested, but it looks good. Some pics in gallery. Steps are pretty much as already stated. I did a little modification on the original outer shaft of column, using bearing top and bottom. Horn button on my setup will need to be stand alone, on dash probably, although I'm thinking of ways to bring it out through column, to harness.

Tom

Old 08-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here you go, look at post 30 for pics and info.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ion-build.html

Kevin
LFD Inc.