Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Aim/DJM lowering kit thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:26 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it just an axle flip? If so then the axle is just moved from the bottom to the top while maintaining the original pinion due to the bracket that positions the axle on top of the springs. Look at the yellow piece that saddles the axle tube. I hate the insert on this site.
http://www.classicshoptalk.com/attac...5&d=1338921462

Old 08-20-2015, 11:30 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by brutus67
hey guys called up djm suspension the other day and when I asked the guy about pinion shims he said they did not have them and that I don't need them I am almost sure i told him my truck is a longbed I am confused now some of the guys on here say it should be at original specs for the pinon angle I don't want vibration issues I want to do it right first time around anyone on here ever done the front and back djm drop on a longbed thanks in advace for any and all advice
DJM's system doesn't require shims. They are engineered to lower the rear end without changing the pinion angle.

Shims are required when flipping only the front leaf spring hangers because only one end of the leaf spring changes position. In fact, if you actually measured before and after a hanger flip you will find that the axle moved forward by a fraction of an inch and results in the pinion angle pointing upwards. DJM's system raises both ends of the leaf spring. Therefore, the axle maintains its relative position before and after the parts are installed.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brutus67
hey guys called up djm suspension the other day and when I asked the guy about pinion shims he said they did not have them and that I don't need them I am almost sure i told him my truck is a longbed I am confused now some of the guys on here say it should be at original specs for the pinon angle I don't want vibration issues I want to do it right first time around anyone on here ever done the front and back djm drop on a longbed thanks in advace for any and all advice
Yes pinion shims are required! The guy you talked to must have been on crack. The rear kit WILL change your pinion angle because most of the drop is accomplished by the new front hanger. The new rear shackle gives only a bit of drop so the axle will not be dropped evenly. The axle will end up being tilted upward slightly, changing your pinion angle. Here is the page on the DJM site that has the shims:
Search Results pinion
They have 2,4 and 6 degree shims. The bolt they supply is nice too because it's got a longer head to make up for the increased thickness with the shim added. (By the way AIM supplies the shim with their kit. Check the picture earlier somewhere in this thread.) As for how much shim you need to measure your pinion angle before you start, then check it afterward to determine how much shim you need. I estimated and got the 6 degree shim but I haven't got my truck box reinstalled yet as it's still getting painted. Pinion angle needs to be measured with the weight on the wheels.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas

Here's the picture of the Aim kit showing the shim (upper left).

Old 08-21-2015, 09:39 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Uni Moe
Here's the picture of the Aim kit showing the shim (upper left).
The reference was to the DJM system, not the AIM system.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 AM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
The reference was to the DJM system, not the AIM system.
Same principle though HIO and the rear kits are similar if not the same. I put the DJM system on mine. It doesn't drop the axle evenly. There's no room to drop the back much so most of the drop has to be accomplished with the front hanger bracket.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:10 AM
71longbody
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you change out the coil springs? I'm looking to do this to mine very soon but can't seem to find any coil springs anywhere that aren't stock.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:34 AM
71longbody
New User
Originally Posted by FILTHY
Yes, they have changed their name several times over the last few years.

Chasis Tech, AIM, Airbagit...etc.

I'm happy with the quality of the products, they just made a mistake when shipping me my parts. (Twice) But, each time, they have taken care of me, in giving me an R.M.A. number, and paying for the shipping of the parts all over the country. I am just ready to have it finished is all. I have a friend who is letting me use his lift...so each day that goes by...I am delaying him getting stuff done, because my truck is in his way.

They usually change names due to banckrupcy I thought. Seemed to me DJM was a little better in quality but i don't know anything yet, just looking on here for details before I start mine.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 71longbody
Did you change out the coil springs? I'm looking to do this to mine very soon but can't seem to find any coil springs anywhere that aren't stock.
No need to change your coil springs unless you need new ones. Replace with stock spec.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:17 PM
DLW-70-F100
Senior User
Detroit spring has new springs and offers dropped configurations. I have their 1" drop springs myself https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Old 04-08-2016, 08:47 AM
stronger66ratfink
Junior User
so you did not need to have the "I" beams bent to lower?

Old 04-28-2016, 12:41 PM
PoreBoy
New User
Originally Posted by DLW-70-F100
Detroit spring has new springs and offers dropped configurations. I have their 1" drop springs myself https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Do you have any pics of your truck with the 1" lowered spring installed?

Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 PM
spdcat72
Senior User
Originally Posted by stronger66ratfink
so you did not need to have the "I" beams bent to lower?
Bending I beams is to correct camber which changes due to shorter springs. Factory beams can be bent, if you can find a shop with the equipment and knowledge to do it. It doesn't make the truck lower, merely corrects the alignment after you lower it with springs. Without correction, the tires will lean in at the top, look goofy, and wear your tires out quickly.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:43 PM
DLW-70-F100
Senior User
Originally Posted by PoreBoy
Do you have any pics of your truck with the 1" lowered spring installed?
Not off hand, but I can snap a couple for you when I get a chance.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:54 PM
PoreBoy
New User
Originally Posted by DLW-70-F100
Not off hand, but I can snap a couple for you when I get a chance.
Sounds good! I'm still toying with the idea of cutting coils with drop beams or doing air bags with drop beams. I like the idea of being able to drop the truck really low when parked, but I don't want to cut the truck up.

Quick Reply: Aim/DJM lowering kit thread