Print Wikipost

Aim/DJM lowering kit thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM
JohnDavid
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Williamwilliam,

The photos will be great. What year spindle do you have? Photos of the tie rod relocator from the front and back would be great. I purchased mine back in June and everything is good except that relocator. I purchased the same set as "Filthy". His relocator looks a little different. The tab on it is curved and mine is straight. Yours in the photos look like mine.

Thanks again!!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 PM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FILTHY
I will check into the poly radius arm bushings. Is there a preferred placeto order them from?

I ordered the beams from airbag it/AIM/ truckin/chassis tech. (Whatever they want to be called this week) I ordered them un powder coated, as I was going to have a friend powder coat them in a different color for me. But, I am so ready to get this truck dropped, I think I'm going to start the install and forget the powder coay, so I can proceed with all of the paint/body and interior and get it done before the show season/spring time/cruising weather.
Here ya go. 20 buks. Item 45-1510

LMC Truck Parts - Page 103

Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 PM
jhooch
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f100today
Does anyone know where you can get the AIM re locator by its self? I have the DJM and would rather have the AIM.
Interested in selling the DJM relocaters?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 AM
williamwilliam
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I hope these pics help......it helped me realize that I need to clean up the under side of my truck!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 AM
FILTHY
Senior User
Originally Posted by JohnDavid
Williamwilliam,

The photos will be great. What year spindle do you have? Photos of the tie rod relocator from the front and back would be great. I purchased mine back in June and everything is good except that relocator. I purchased the same set as "Filthy". His relocator looks a little different. The tab on it is curved and mine is straight. Yours in the photos look like mine.

Thanks again!!

JohnDavid,

I just re-read what you posted, and thought I'd chime in. The kit, that I ordered were the lowering beams for drum brakes. (There isn't any difference in the kits, other than the tie rod relocator) You had said, that your set up, had been changed over to 74 style disk brakes, and I would assume, thats why my tie rod relocators look different.

I was also wondering, if you had gotten your situation figured out yet?

I keep trying to start on my install, but life keeps gettin in the way. I really hope to have this done, by the end of next week. Will definately post up pics.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:05 PM
JohnDavid
New User
Thanks for the photos!! What year spindles are you running??

Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 PM
JohnDavid
New User
My truck is a '67 and now has '76 spindles with disk brakes. That must be the difference with that tie rod relocator. My tab just doesn't have anything to bolt to like Williamwilliam's photos. Won't be able to look at it this weekend. Like you said, life keeps getting in the way. Lets compare notes!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM
FILTHY
Senior User
William,

One more question in regards to the rear hanger/shackle setup.

I have recieved the kit, and am looking at the install instructons. I notice, that on the written instructions, it notes that the shackle kit will lower the truck approximately 2" inches. It does in fact, look as the rear of your truck is lowered a touch more than 2" (Looks more like 4-4 1/2) Is there anything else, that you did in regards to the rear set up, differently, other than remove the bottom "helper" spring?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:17 AM
williamwilliam
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by JohnDavid
Thanks for the photos!! What year spindles are you running??
My friend got them off a 74 donor truck.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 AM
williamwilliam
Laughing Gas
William,

One more question in regards to the rear hanger/shackle setup.

I have recieved the kit, and am looking at the install instructons. I notice, that on the written instructions, it notes that the shackle kit will lower the truck approximately 2" inches. It does in fact, look as the rear of your truck is lowered a touch more than 2" (Looks more like 4-4 1/2) Is there anything else, that you did in regards to the rear set up, differently, other than remove the bottom "helper" spring?
I removed the second from the top leaf spring. I might have actually removed 2 from the top, I cant remember as long as its been, but look at these pictures and compare to what you have right now. Im thinking there were 4 leaf springs then the thick helper spring at the bottom, but I might be wrong. Mine dropped roughly 4 inches in the back by doing that along with the lowering system.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:08 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
The difference between a I beam kit orderd for disk or drums is Tie rod re-locators are different and the king pins are different. If you have disk brakes the kingpin is a little longer. I am not exactly sure why there is a difference in the locators. Tab?

Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jhooch
Interested in selling the DJM relocaters?
I need to buy the new ones, get them installed with the disc brake setup, then see what condition the djm's are in. I will PM you when I get finished.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:27 PM
FILTHY
Senior User
Johndavid,

I took a pic of my AIM tie rod relocators. These are the "disk brake" version. Since, I have now purchased both sets of relocators, and King Pins for both drum and disk brakes, I will have one version up for sale, as soon as I finish my install. Should have everythign wrapped up tonight.

Name:  tierod.jpg
Views: 2948
Size:  49.8 KB

Old 02-03-2012, 03:44 PM
FILTHY
Senior User
Just thought, I'd fill everyone in on my current nightmare. Airbag it has now shipped me the wrong parts two times. I've got everything on the truck broken down, and am almost finished with the front end. They sent me the tie rod relocators for drum brakes originally, and now that I'm getting into the install, When I went to install the shackle kits they are the wrong size. Looks like they sent me the shckle/hanger kit for an f200.

There wasnt a packing list of any kind, and none of the parts were marked/noted. the difference int he shackles are just the width. (a difference of 1 1/4 inch)

Either way, this entire experience has been horrible up to this point.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:11 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Just thought, I'd fill everyone in on my current nightmare. Airbag it has now shipped me the wrong parts two times. I've got everything on the truck broken down, and am almost finished with the front end. They sent me the tie rod relocators for drum brakes originally, and now that I'm getting into the install, When I went to install the shackle kits they are the wrong size. Looks like they sent me the shckle/hanger kit for an f200.

There wasnt a packing list of any kind, and none of the parts were marked/noted. the difference int he shackles are just the width. (a difference of 1 1/4 inch)

Either way, this entire experience has been horrible up to this point.
Sorry to hear about the bad experience thus far. Frustrating I know. I noticed their website sucked as far as providing clarity. It raised my concern but I have yet to pull the trigger on a lowering system for the rear end. But thanks for the update and the poor experience yer having with Airbagit cuz it is this kind of testimony which will lead me to hit up Fatman Fab for their axle flip and not Airbagit's system. That is if the spring hanger flip doesn't work out...

Quick Reply: Aim/DJM lowering kit thread