New Jersey Chapter Join Chapter Leader: sddesigns

Anyone wanna make some cash?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 AM
ford12508
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone wanna make some cash?

This is not set in stone as of right now, but I might want to hire someone to show me how to replace the EGR Valve/DPFE on a 1999 Expedition 5.4L. I am in Middletown, and would be able to give the person who helped me out an hourly pay.

Here is the background info: About 5 months or so ago I told my dad we should get the EGR Valve looked at, the truck felt like it was running funny, and that was my guess and a little while later a code came up. The code said EGR valve problems. P0402 to be exact. My dad did nothing to fix it(aka send it into the shop, he is retarded when it comes to cars). So I sighed and held my breathe, until 2 weeks ago, the light came back more and more after i disconnected the battery. So I told him again and his exact words to me when I said we should fix it were, "Shut the **** up about the truck, you do not know anything about cars and there is nothing wrong with it, it still runs fine." Might have been 2-3 days later when he got in the truck for the first time in maybe a year and when he gets back, says "It is running a little rough." Well I was driving with my mom and I could have sworn the truck turned into an F-250 with the death wobble with the ride we had. So tonight at dinner my dad asked me what was wrong with it, I told him the EGR and DPFE need to be changed. Asks how much it costs, I said I don't know the price of the DPFE but the EGR and gasket is about $170. He then proceeds me to ask me if I can change it if he gets the parts.

While I would love to waste his money by letting him go to a shop, I would rather have someone from here help me fix it so I know a little bit more about cars. Knowledge > Revenge.

Pay : I think $10 for that read and shoot me a PM or so replies with what you want to get paid, I will negotiate with you.

Tools on site include(but not limited to)
1/4", 3/8", 1/2" Ratchet with adapters for all sizes
1.25" long sockets(I can get the specific sizes tomorrow, but generally everything between 7mm and 20mm and I think most standard sizes under 1 inch
Hammer
Rubber Mallet
Vice grips/pliers/channel locking grips
Standard screw driver set
Drills(both wired and cordless/not impact)
Pancake air compressor

Hoping someone can get back to me. I have not talked to my dad about this yet, but I am going to ask him to get the parts needed, then hopefully we can schedule to do this one day while he is out. I only plan on doing this behind his back, because if I can't already do it, to him there is no point in me learning how to do it, so it might as well go to the shop.

Anything I missed in that wall of text?

Old 08-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be able to replace it your self, in most cases its an dpfe sensor unless you have an 4.2 then its an different story. Tools needed is an 1/4 Drive ratchet, 10mm or 3/8 socket, scan tool to clear code and an test drive.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
ford12508
Senior User
OK Thanks BroncoChris, I couldnt find any good pictures, I found some, but it didn't really help me at all. I did the research and also figured it was the DPFE, thanks for the input though.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ford12508
OK Thanks BroncoChris, I couldnt find any good pictures, I found some, but it didn't really help me at all. I did the research and also figured it was the DPFE, thanks for the input though.
Its no problem

Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 PM
ford12508
Senior User
This can be closed up and deleted whenever, my dad ended up having the DPFE replaced and was charged out the *** to do so. The bill was as follows:
$100 to scan for the code(P0401, which I told the guy)
$90 for 1 hour of labor(It took him an hour to do a swap, I doubt that)
$170 and change for the DPFE itself...(I was going to get a brand new one for $50, but I guess $170 works too)

Old 08-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
You could have done it your self, buy your self an cheap scanner and remove it that way

Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 PM
ford12508
Senior User
I went to pep boys and had them pull the code. Right now I am acquiring other tools first, such as a torque wrench and some other things. I told the guy what the code was before we dropped the truck off, wasnt there when the truck was dropped off, I woke up that day at around 1PM, thought my sister took it to work, it was home at 6PM from the garage and my sister said to me "the truck runs much better". I didn't know until that point it even went in. I offered to do the whole job for my dad for $60, but apparently he didn't think it worth it.

Chris do you feel that $90 an hour for labor is way too much? I told my dad he should be paying $70, but he said he has always paid $90 an hour there. I also feel obligated to go to that garage and yell at the ...insert bad words... mechanic for charging my parents to read the code. I told the guy what part needed to be replaced and he still charged them.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
$90 is the going shop rate at most places. so he prob got charged 1.5hr for diag and .5hr for the replacement of the part plus the cost of the part

Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
50 for the Part

65 for the scanner off of ebay

2 for mcdoubles

Would have cost you a hole $117 for repair and small lunch for an 20 min job

Search this Thread