Preferred Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 AM
The Black
5th Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Preferred Brake Pads

Hi Folks,

My 07 Super Duty is ready for new pads and I wanted to see what types you guys and girls recommend? The truck has 43,000 miles on the original pads and I want to get the same mileage from the replacements. Every other new vehicle that I've had, the replacements pads never lasted as long as the original factory installed pads.
Now, I called my dealer and asked what types are available and was told they have three different types:
1. Standard OTC replacements
2. Ford OEM (supposed to be the same as factory).
3. Super Duty pad, which I've not seen

Any help would certainly be appreciated! Anyone ever installed these "Super Duty" pads, if so how many miles where you able to run with them?

I also do not know the price difference on each style?

TIA

The Black

Old 08-09-2009, 02:52 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd go with aftermarket pads. Hawk SD fleet pads get my vote as they are made especially for towing and heavy trucks. Make shure you bed the pads properly.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:52 PM
The Black
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by dkf
I'd go with aftermarket pads. Hawk SD fleet pads get my vote as they are made especially for towing and heavy trucks. Make shure you bed the pads properly.
Thanks dkf!
Funny, now after reading a few posts I can see that many have over twice the miles on there factory pads! Maybe there is more life left on them then I think. I assumed with over 40k miles they would be shot! In the past I have been lucky to get 25k miles on a set with my old 99 F250. Let's just see what the inspection station has to say.

Thanks again, the Hawks do have a lot of fans out there!
Regards,
The Black

Old 08-09-2009, 06:30 PM
ScubaCat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Black
Thanks dkf!
Funny, now after reading a few posts I can see that many have over twice the miles on there factory pads! Maybe there is more life left on them then I think. I assumed with over 40k miles they would be shot! In the past I have been lucky to get 25k miles on a set with my old 99 F250. Let's just see what the inspection station has to say.

Thanks again, the Hawks do have a lot of fans out there!
Regards,
The Black
Most pad life depends on how you drive. Do you anticipate stops and coast to a stop only using brakes for the final stop? IF you tow, do you use a trailer with it's own brakes or does your truck provide all the braking action? If you live in a hilly area, when going down hills do you ride the brakes constantly or do you shift down and let the engine/tranny provide some engine breaking? Are you running a 4x2 regular cab 5.4 or the long bed crew cab 4x4 DRW power stroke?

Lots of factors other than just brand that must be taken into account...

Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
The Black
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by ScubaCat
Most pad life depends on how you drive. Do you anticipate stops and coast to a stop only using brakes for the final stop? IF you tow, do you use a trailer with it's own brakes or does your truck provide all the braking action? If you live in a hilly area, when going down hills do you ride the brakes constantly or do you shift down and let the engine/tranny provide some engine breaking? Are you running a 4x2 regular cab 5.4 or the long bed crew cab 4x4 DRW power stroke?

Lots of factors other than just brand that must be taken into account...

Great info ScubaCat, Thank you!

I agree with every word. For some reason the pads from the factory have always out lasted the replacements (driving new vehicles since 82). My driving habits may have changed a little but not enough to make the tremendous difference I've had. Actually this is the first truck I've used for distance trailering, and the mileage on the pads is twice as good, go figure? I'm not complaining, hell I'll take 100,000 miles on the factory pads any day!

Thanks again,
The Black

Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 PM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
I installed a set of Carbon Metallic Pads from Performance Friction Brakes http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/brands.htm and they are by far the best brake pads I have ever had on a truck. We just got back from a trip to Colorado and I gave them the true test over Berthoud Pass (11300 ft) pulling our 16K 5ver. This set of pads will not fad and are dead quiet even under heavy braking unlike the last set of Wagner pads that faded and sounded like I was castrating a pig every time I stepped on the brakes.

Denny

Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Stumpalump
Senior User
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I installed a set of Carbon Metallic Pads from Performance Friction Brakes http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/brands.htm and they are by far the best brake pads I have ever had on a truck. We just got back from a trip to Colorado and I gave them the true test over Berthoud Pass (11300 ft) pulling our 16K 5ver. This set of pads will not fad and are dead quiet even under heavy braking unlike the last set of Wagner pads that faded and sounded like I was castrating a pig every time I stepped on the brakes.

Denny
Those are nice pads and cheap at Auto Zone. They are best for long hard stops but for slow touch and go like rock crawling then they seem to not grab as well. It's a trade off but for a truck then that would seem like the best aftermarket pad. I threw in the rock crawling info just because I had it. Those guys like soft regular pads at the expense of longevity.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
When purchasing a set of aftermarket brakes, the first two questions to ask the supplier is...

1. What is the braking co-efficient of the oem brake linings?
2. What is the braking co-efficient of your linings you are recommending?

Braking co-efficient is the industry factor that stipulates the amount of "bite" a lining has. So if it has the same coefficient as the oem linings, it is not going to stop any shorter. With that said,

Napa/Monroe Ceramics: They are good but do not develop any more friction than good quality OEM linings

Performance Friction & Hawk: Good braking, increased friction but very dirty compared to OEM with the exception of VelveTouch- a line that Hawk just bought from Wellman Industries. VelveTouch lining has been used for many decades and was the original lining used in all Shelby Mustangs in the 60’s (I personally have used the Velvetouch lining since 1960’s until brake lining production ceased in 1986), then switched to Carbo. Wellman has been the builder of braking linings for all of the Formula 1 race teams for more than 30 years.

Recommendation #1: CarboTech Engineering lining, which I have used for about 15+ years and been very happy on multiple full size (V8) cars and trucks. This particular lining has a high friction co-efficient, excellent pedal feel, wear (typically 50,000 to 75,000 miles before replacement is required) and produces less dust than OEM linings. I highly recommend speaking to them by phone for linings that would be best for your application at 877-899-5024 or 704-481-8500.

Recommendation #2: Velva-Touch Lining from Hawk

Old 08-12-2009, 05:43 PM
The Black
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Stumpalump
Those are nice pads and cheap at Auto Zone. They are best for long hard stops but for slow touch and go like rock crawling then they seem to not grab as well. It's a trade off but for a truck then that would seem like the best aftermarket pad. I threw in the rock crawling info just because I had it. Those guys like soft regular pads at the expense of longevity.
Originally Posted by rvpuller

Denny
Originally Posted by Beechkid
When purchasing a set of aftermarket brakes, the first two questions to ask the supplier is...

1. What is the braking co-efficient of the oem brake linings?
2. What is the braking co-efficient of your linings you are recommending?

Braking co-efficient is the industry factor that stipulates the amount of "bite" a lining has. So if it has the same coefficient as the oem linings, it is not going to stop any shorter. With that said,

Napa/Monroe Ceramics: They are good but do not develop any more friction than good quality OEM linings

Performance Friction & Hawk: Good braking, increased friction but very dirty compared to OEM with the exception of VelveTouch- a line that Hawk just bought from Wellman Industries. VelveTouch lining has been used for many decades and was the original lining used in all Shelby Mustangs in the 60’s (I personally have used the Velvetouch lining since 1960’s until brake lining production ceased in 1986), then switched to Carbo. Wellman has been the builder of braking linings for all of the Formula 1 race teams for more than 30 years.

Recommendation #1: CarboTech Engineering lining, which I have used for about 15+ years and been very happy on multiple full size (V8) cars and trucks. This particular lining has a high friction co-efficient, excellent pedal feel, wear (typically 50,000 to 75,000 miles before replacement is required) and produces less dust than OEM linings. I highly recommend speaking to them by phone for linings that would be best for your application at 877-899-5024 or 704-481-8500.

Recommendation #2: Velva-Touch Lining from Hawk
Three great posts!!! Thanks for the education.
50 to 75k miles is fantastic, I'll look into your suggestions.

Regards,

The Black

Old 08-14-2009, 05:19 PM
goldglove
New User
Had a 93 F250, an 04 F350 and I just replaced the front brakes on my 08 F250 all three trucks got a 100,000 an factory brake pads. Put 198,000 on the back shoes of the 93 and still had some left.

Oh I installed pads from the dealer on the 08 a couple of weeks ago they make my rims black but 100,000 miles is pretty good.