Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 PM
New User

Trafficflow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission Bolt Pattern

Hello everybody this is my first post. I am working on my son's Ranger and I have a few questions. I need to replace the tranny. I have a 5 speed with a tag no. F27A-XA 3.0 l engine. I have been researching and I need to know one thing. I found a M50D-R1 with a 2.3 L engine. Is the bolt pattern the same on both trannys? Or is the M50 different for each size engine? This would be hepful. And there is talk about a speed sensor. Any Answers?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior User

johncfox is starting off with a positive reputation.
Each of the engines (2.3,3.0,4.0) have different bellhousing bolt patterns and will not interchange. Some of the 5 speeds have removable bellhousings. If your trans does you could put your bellhousing on the replacement trans. One thing to consider though is that transmissions tend to have different ratios, stronger bearings, and stronger gears on the larger engines. So even though it may look the same, you might end up putting in a weaker transmisson.
1995 Kawasaki Ninja 1100-far from stock...too fast for its own good
1982 Yamaha Maxim 650-830cc turbocharged
Old 08-07-2009, 11:36 PM
New User

I understand you post and it is appreciated. Looking thru Craigslist and I found a 2.9 L.Size wise it is close but will it fit the bolt pattern? I will check out bell housing tomorrow when it is light.

Thanks Trafficflow
Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Senior User

The 2.9 bellhousing will not work. The 2.9 is a larger version of the 2.8 cologne engine which later became the 4.0. The 2.8/2.9/4.0 bolt patterns are the same but they are the only ones that will. The ford lima engine started out as a 2.0, became the 2.3, and later ended up being bored out to a 2.5 and they have the same bolt pattern as they are the same design. Aside from the 2.5 and 2.0, the 2.3 lima doesnt share a bolt pattern with any other engine as far as I know. I know for a fact that they wont interchange with any v-6 engine thats in a ranger.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:09 PM
New User

Need some help!! I found a tranny that is out of a wrecker.It is a 3.06
V6. The year is a 1998. Mine is a 1992. Will this work? Thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Senior User

It will bolt in but I believe they switched from using a cable operated speedometer to electric around '93. Instead of being driven by the trans, the electric speedometer uses a sensor on the rear differential so the hole in the transmission for the speedometer drive is not there. You should be able to remove the tailshaft housing and bolt yours on with the speedometer drive unit. Only four bolts hold it on so it is not a difficult task.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 PM
New User

It sounds like I could make it work,Correct? The guy wants $200 for it. It is out of a wrecker.I saw the cableyou are referencing. Will it be long enough? I took some pictures to look and compare. Anything else I need to check out?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Senior User

Yeah its my understanding that it will work as long as you swap the tailshaft housing.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:02 AM
New User

Its sounds like I might have a good one . Just got off the phone with him. He has only had it since middle of July. I took some pics to compare. I have did the research and it looks fairly conclusive with what you said. Going to crawl under their and check out the
tailshaft housing. Should I take a wrench and open the drain plug. Thats all I have now.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Elder User

piotrsko is starting off with a positive reputation.
it is my experience that the removal is cleaner without any extra fluids in things being removed. the drive shaft area Will leak if you tip it too far down, and possibly the shifter mount also.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:51 PM
New User

I am going to check the fluid out.Want to see if there is any burn smell or real black color. Will the starter have to be removed? It looked like it is
attached to the tranny. When you break loose the tailshift is there any gasket or silicon going back on? Thanks

Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
New User

elanman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well looks like i can find out my anwser hear as well, we have 88 2.3 2wd ext cab with 5 speed, was looking at are local parts yard and came up with 2.0 reg cab and about a 1990, Im thinking from my younger years they are the same bolt pattern right ? also would i have to change anything else ? thanks any and all help.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 PM
New User

You should be able to find the answer. It is right above. The 2.3 is common with 2 other ones. I have a link which I will send. I do not know how to shorten it up though. By the way I am no exert on this at all. The post by the other member were very helpful.

[URL="http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html

Hey Johncfox I got the transmission today! Looks real clean and oil smells good.When I take that tailshaft off is there a gasket or use silicon or nothin?
What is under that a bearing or something? That will get me started Think I will start new post. Thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
1996, 23, 30, 4x4, bolt, bolts, engine, ford, housing, interchangeability, pattern, patterns, ranger, tail, tranny, trans, transmission