2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

k and n air intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM
lee hart
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k and n air intake

put on air intake and sometimes it effective and sometimes when accelerating it hits a restrictive feel and takes a while to know wheather or not to accelerate more or drop a gear. what this hesitation? seems to happen during hot time of day. worse with a.c on too.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Yes, that's hesitation from the intake sucking in warm engine compartment air.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 AM
lee hart
New User
intake

is there anything that can be done?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 AM
lee hart
New User
can it be detrimental for the engine?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:30 AM
429 boss mustang
Junior User
my K&N does it when its hot and when its cool it works fine. Im going to get a new hood with a scoops or somthing to get the air in thier better and get the heat off the engine more effectively

Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 AM
lee hart
New User
i changed my gas from arco to chevron and it improved noticably. going to try 89 chevron gas this week. trial and error. more air in more octane for the mix right. like the hood with scoop idea

Old 08-07-2009, 01:39 AM
429 boss mustang
Junior User
well im running with mine a k&n cai, flowmaster 40 series, and diablosport predator tune. running 93 octane on my 4.6 it runs good till its hot then its little slower then what it would be cold so i plan on headers and gear swap to 4.10s and then try the hood idea. it all should work pretty well together

Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Any of the open element air filters like the FIPK and Airaid etc are a waste of time. The suck in warm/hot air and if the MAF is near the filter the turbulent air from the fan effects the MAF readings. The stock air box is better since it gets cooler air. In most cases the stock air box flows enough for the motor unless the motor has been significantly modified and even then it may be fine. Your better off with a free flow filter that fits the OEM air cleaner. So to answer your question, yes there is something that can be done about it, put the air intake setup on craigslist. I also noticed when I had an FIPK on my truck that the fuel economy wasn't as good either.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:51 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
Any of the open element air filters like the FIPK and Airaid etc are a waste of time. The suck in warm/hot air and if the MAF is near the filter the turbulent air from the fan effects the MAF readings. The stock air box is better since it gets cooler air. In most cases the stock air box flows enough for the motor unless the motor has been significantly modified and even then it may be fine. Your better off with a free flow filter that fits the OEM air cleaner. So to answer your question, yes there is something that can be done about it, put the air intake setup on craigslist. I also noticed when I had an FIPK on my truck that the fuel economy wasn't as good either.
HOW DARE YOU!! I gained at LEAST 1hp, 1mpg better, and my throttle hesitation went away completely with my K&N CAI! Except for when the engine warms up, on days it gets over 80-degrees, going up hills, or when the oil gets the MAF dirty. It will pay for itself in 6 years unless I have to buy the cleaning kit which will add another year to it, and if the weather stays cold enough

(I don't really own a K&N CAI, but I did back in 2003. It went in the garbage after a month)

Old 08-07-2009, 09:01 AM
rplatt56
Senior User
your MAF should not get oily from the K&N unless its over oiled. When you clean the filter just mist the oil onto the filter, let it dry, mist again. This will allow for correct oiling of the filter.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
some people just don't get it...

Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 PM
rplatt56
Senior User
I've found that the Gotts mod is actually more effective than a CAI. I did it and installed a K&N filter and love the effect. Still get cooler air from the fender well not the engine compartment

Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
If you do an online search for “air filter test” there is a lot of very good information. IMHO, the CAI units are NOT WORTH THE $$! Unless you are talking about a system that was specifically designed for a specific application there are very little hp/tq gains actually achieved in a street use vehicle and there are very few docs that these mfg’s can produce that actually show an increase in hp/tq in the power-band range of a relatively stock street vehicle.

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the tech's on this (flatratetech.com) .

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! The OE’s have an excellent air intake system the only issue that really exists is the plastic intake tube with it’s noise canceling design- that does reduce the intake efficiency a little but makes it very quiet!. You can use a WIX OEM HP replacement filter in the OEM plastic manifold box and either remove the plastic tube and replace it with a piece of pipe/hose, etc or remove the tube completely and replace the tube by building an air ram type intake into the air box manifold (where the pipe use to attach)- make sure ti terminates above the fan shroud to avoid water intake or fan induced pulsations.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 AM
dixiemudder04
Elder User
just do like i did. I took the stock piping off and got a 4" flexible dryer duct and ran it from a 3" pvc pipe to the stock intake box. Works pretty good.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rplatt56
I've found that the Gotts mod is actually more effective than a CAI. I did it and installed a K&N filter and love the effect. Still get cooler air from the fender well not the engine compartment
Ok... And what exackly is this "Gotts mod" we're talking about here?? I agree the stock intake tube does look a bit odd. Do you totally get rid of it or what?