1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

first time bondo lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
jlang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first time bondo lol

well after watching half the bondo videos on the internet and reading mllions of pages about it, i finally worked up the nerves to take a swing at it, hope i did it right lol

15mins to the momentof truth lol wish me luck

Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
Its really not that hard because if you mess it up you can just sand it back off. One thing i recommend is use a sanding block so you dont get finger waves or a board for larger areas so you keep everything nice and even not making more work for yourself. You will need lots of patience because it usually takes a few coats to get it exactly like you want it. One thing i do thats worked out for me is if your doing a flat panel with maybe a smal curve mike a door apply your filler over the area and then run accross it with a strait edge to make everything level if you get what i am saying and you should be really close to priming, Good luck

Old 08-06-2009, 09:48 PM
twise
Senior User
If its not too late do not use the brand "Bondo". Go to a good autobody supply and pick up some professional body filler, such as Evercoat Z-Grip. It is only a couple of bucks more and it will leave fewer pin holes and it sands a whole lot better leaving better results. After sanding down the area you just filled, take some contrasting spray paint and lightly mist a coat over the worked area and use 180 grit paper with a LONG board. Sand just enough to take off what you just misted with paint. Any bare steel showing will need to be lightly tapped down with an appropriate hammer and any paint remaining that you misted will be a low spot. Re-apply some filler to the spots that you tapped down and any area that still is in the low spots. Then start the process over. I always use a very light colored primer to cover the whole vehicle, then use black spray paint. This is called "Guide Coating". It's just gives you a visual of any imperfections in the body. Any time you do body work there will be many hours of sanding. Just remember, if you think it's ready to paint, make sure your primer looks like glass, use 400 grit to wet sand it before paint. Any imperfections will be magnafied a 1000 times under paint. Good Luck

Old 08-07-2009, 09:27 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
If you're doing a fair bit of work/sanding I find it helps to have a disposible glove on the hand doing the sanding (stops the sandpaper wearing away your finger tips!!)

Old 08-08-2009, 04:02 PM
reg1952
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I payed a little extra and got the Evercoat. What a differance. Makes the job a lot more fun.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get some glazing putty to fill in the tiny holes that show up with the guide coating.