Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Possible first sign of a problem? Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM
RAGaz
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible first sign of a problem? Need advice.

I have an '05 F350 V10, auto, 40K miles. It's my 2nd V10 - Never a single problem with it.

A strange thing happened a couple of days ago that has me concerned. I was hoping to get your thoughts on it. Driving in town, going down a bumpy side street, approaching a stop sign. (I had just left work literally 2-3 minutes earlier.) So I'm braking as I'm coming to the stop sign and out of nowhere the truck died just as I was rolling the last few feet to stop. No sputter, no hesitation, nothing. (Kind of reminded me of rolling to a stop in a manual trans car when you are in gear and forget to put in the clutch and the car dies.) So I put the truck in neutral, started it right up and it has been running like nothing has ever happened.

A few thoughts that are on my mind:
-I was on my way to my Ford dealer for an oil change/rotation. The dealer completed their courtesy "1 million point inspection" or whatever it is that they do with an oil change. They checked the battery - said it was still within specs, but suggested that I might need one before winter. Can't imagine this would have anything to do with it?
- I was below a quarter tank of gas at the time - closer to an 1/8th. Possible cause going down a bumpy road? Probably not.
- Last fuel filter was about 15K miles ago - probably time for a new one. Could this have caused it?
- The tranny fluid was changed by my Ford dealer at 30K miles. Been towing my 8K travel trailer all over the Rockies since then with no probs. Is it possible that the trans did not properly downshift into 1st causing the truck to die?
- Am I just over-reacting?

Let me know your thoughts....

Old 08-06-2009, 05:18 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
I wonder if Dealer update your PCM with out you knowing? Just a thought..

Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I also have an '05 V10 with about the same mileage, and I used to have the problem you describe, although several years ago.

Mine died on me on 3 or 4 occasions as I coasted to stop signs. Not every stop sign of course, that would be too easy, but a thought I noted that it ocurred when the road was elevated upward. Anyway, I took it in and the dealer reflashed the computer, which evidently didn't help, and then noticed some problem with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and replaced it. Problem fixed.

By the way, the battery is warranteed for 36 months (?), and on the 35th month it failed and they replaced it with a new one.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 PM
RAGaz
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by fordmdb
I wonder if Dealer update your PCM with out you knowing? Just a thought..
Problem actually occurred on the way to dealer for the oil change/rotation. The dealer visit prior to that was about a year ago when I had the tranny fluid changed. Possible that they re-flashed at that time, but that was so long ago. And the problem started a year later?

Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
RAGaz
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by BareBones
Anyway, I took it in and the dealer reflashed the computer, which evidently didn't help, and then noticed some problem with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and replaced it. Problem fixed.

Really? That's interesting. That might be it. I'll have to see if it does it again or if it was a one time thing.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:10 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I'd say it might be time to check out the drive-by-wire system.

You might have a code stored, and not know it. See if there are any trouble codes stored in the computer, and if there is, go from there.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:42 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had exactly what you're describing happen 1 time on my 05 V10, when it had about 26k miles on it. Same deal, coming to a stop at a light, and it just died, put it in neutral and it started right back up as if nothing had happened. I'm quite certain it was tranny related though, as it seemed like as I was slowing to a stop, the RPM's just kept dropping until it wasn't running any more. There was no hisitation, sputter, or anything of the sort, I'm thinking it "forgot to unlock" the torque converter or something which caused it to behave in a similar maner as a stick left in gear... The truck now has 82k on it and it hasn't happened again since... I never addressed it with the dealer while under warranty, because it never happened again after that 1 time, and of course they cant fix a non-duplicatable problem. I'm thinking it was just a fluke because the V10 and Torqueshift have been flawless otherwise.