1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dimensions

Does anyone have dimensions on a 56 f100? length/width/height/etc.?

I'm looking for a trailer to throw one on and bring back my way

Old 08-06-2009, 02:18 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have the dimensions but I haul them on a car hauler type trailer, dual axle, 16 foot with a 2 foot dovetail. No problems. Don't think I would want to use anything lighter in weight.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:24 PM
RicManSr
Cross-Country
What da get?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
There is a guy in Flagstaff selling a 56 all original with a 292 and in need of a loving hand. I'm going to go look at it this weekend and if it is in any kind of good shape I will buy it.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:10 PM
DROPTOP46
Junior User
short beds are 183" tip to tip, 74" wide

Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
edzakory
Elder User
I used a rented U-Haul car-carrier trailer to tow my '56 from VA to AZ. I rented the new, wider version; they have the dimensions on the U-Haul web site. You are going to need a 3/4 ton tow vehicle or better; they show a 1/2 truck as too light for towing the car carrier.

It was a little scary coming down the mountain from Flagstaff to Camp Verde so be careful. Good luck with your potential purchase.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:56 PM
willymakeit
Tuned
Will fit on 16' trailer. Mid Fifty has all dim. in their catalog.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Huntfamily53
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the same as edzakory

I only went from N.Phoenix to Mesa. I couldnt use the front wheel car carrier because the truck was just held together with a few bolts.

Are you buying the one on craigslist for $5000?

Did you ever get any pics of it?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Huntfamily53
Senior User
Total width: 75.7"
width of wheels on center: 60"
Height: 75.5"
lenghth: 189.1"
Wheel base 110"

Old 08-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcaeus
Does anyone have dimensions on a 56 f100? length/width/height/etc.?

I'm looking for a trailer to throw one on and bring back my way
Send an e-mail to "Walfords 56" He'll know - or can atleast tell you a trailor to get.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:33 AM
mostly52f1
Senior User
this might help, looks like huntfamily has it though.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Alcaeus
Elder User
I was going to go look at the one on craigslist and most likely buy it on the spot (i never did get any pictures, the guy does not have internet) but I got a call from the guy in California whose truck I had looked at and he said he would drop to 5k for me and it comes with 2 extra frames an extra 390, c6 and rolling chassis... So now I am bargaining with an auto shipper to bring it all down here.

Another couple of question.

What are the first tools equipment etc that I will have to get assuming I have a wood work geared garage?

Is sand blasting easy?

Does anyone know about insurance in AZ? Do I have to have this truck insured if it is going to be sitting in my garage for the next however many years?

What about Registration?

Thanks for all your replies guys. This forum is really just a huge pool of great helpful people. I cant wait until I know more than that the thing has a gas tank and an engine so I can start giving back.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Huntfamily53
Senior User
That is cool..I think I had seen that ad as well. It's neat that now you can sell off extra parts you dont need to get what you do need.

As far as tools, Good air compressor, air tools, a good mig welder ( I still need this),
Sandblasting is messy and requires extra safety equipment. Probably less hassle to have someone else do it, if you even need it, IMO.

As far as insurance, I think you are OK without it if it is in a garage. If it is parked out in the open or driven at all I think it is supposed to be registered, etc... Mine doesn't even have a title yet!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 AM
edzakory
Elder User
As Hunt stated, a good air compressor & air tools will be the most valuable/used items. Jack stands and a floor jack are also needed. If you can aford it, an oxy/acetylene torch is invaluable for "cutting" (oxidizing) frozen carriage bolts; you can also braze with it. A wheel grinder ( 6" or 8") is also good to have. You can get these tools at low cost at Harbor Freight.

As far as title/registration, if the vehicle stays in the garage, you don't need it. However, if you have the vehicle outside the garage and still on your property, your HOA probably has rules about unregistered vehicles.

The cost is cheap in AZ since it is based on the value of the vehicle. I pay only $30/year for my '56. You can get the title/registration and elect to have no insurance provided you notify the AZ Motor Vehicle Department that you will not be driving the vehicle on state roads. The form is available on-line.

You may be able to get title but elect not to register the vehicle; you'll have to check with the AZ MVD. The vehicle will have to stay in the garage.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Alcaeus
Elder User
I have a compressor I just dont have alot of air tools. air for my tires is about it What kind of air tools should I go for?

I called the DMV and they said that as long as I am taking it apart to rebuild I only need the title. I do however need a level one inspection because it is from out of state. That means that I will have to get it to a DMV site for the inspection if I cant get an officer to stop by and do it fo rme. it is free for the inspection and I dont need to register it or insure it.

My Frame VIN will not match my Door VIN after I am done.

Has anyone had a problem with that? Did you all get rid of the vin on the frame or what?

Quick Reply: Dimensions