2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Bubbling Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
zestar
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb It Is Ridiculous

I am not from Ford.

Check out the Zestar Corporation website, etc.

Send us an email, and we will get back to you.

It is wrong and totally ridiculous what customers are going through these days.

The cover of my book is from my Realtor's Car who was trying to sell my house.

How does that car make him look?

The other picture is from a man who could not sell his van, because the paint job was crappy.

What would you do, if you were in my shoes, and have my knowledge that
factory paint defects were released on a world wide scale?

You try to make a difference.

Our technology is used for that purpose.

We caught the suppliers doing what they shouldn't have been doing.

And in our opinion, the automaker should do the right thing.

It just plain old common sense, which seems not to be common anymore.

If you want a copy of the letter to Ford's Board of Directors, let us know....... It will be going out this week.....

This post may be old, but complaints appear daily in multiple forums everyday.

This nonsense needs to stop....

Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Add another one to this statistic... I was cleaning the car this weekend .. and I found the dreadful bubbling paint on the rear tailgate.....mileage 68659.
With issue of RSC acting up and now paint bubbling....I officially hate this truck.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:37 PM
rjd75
Senior User
Don't feel bad.. I just noticed I have paint flaking off of the inner side of the piece that wraps around the driver's window. I also looked at my roof and the two water channels along the roof are totaly cracking and starting to peel. Thankfully I am giving it back, but I just signed a deal for a 2010. Hopefully painting has gotten better recently.. Not like I have a choice.. The Expy/Navi are the only trucks I fit in comfortably.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 PM
soundtransmission
Junior User
For what it's worth, I have bubbling paint on my tailgate as well. Not a lot, but enough for my father to see it and say, "son, looks like you've got some rust moving in." I said, no it can't be - the tailgate is aluminum.

Then I found this thread. Damn.

BTW, mine is a 2006, has 110,000, and honestly I don't remember when it started to occur.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soundtransmission
For what it's worth, I have bubbling paint on my tailgate as well. Not a lot, but enough for my father to see it and say, "son, looks like you've got some rust moving in." I said, no it can't be - the tailgate is aluminum.

Then I found this thread. Damn.

BTW, mine is a 2006, has 110,000, and honestly I don't remember when it started to occur.
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/06-25-15.pdf

Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 PM
2008 Expy El
New User
Add me to this list, I have my 08 Expy with 24,000 miles going in next week for bubbling paint around the license plate area. I also have bubbling paint on the front edge of the hood. UNACCEPTABLE!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:33 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 2008 Expy El
Add me to this list, I have my 08 Expy with 24,000 miles going in next week for bubbling paint around the license plate area. I also have bubbling paint on the front edge of the hood. UNACCEPTABLE!
Yes, it is. You have exactly what that TSB describes. They didn't prep the aluminum correctly. That's why the paint is not adhering to it. The hood and trunk need to be repainted correctly. Touch up paint won't last at all.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by berry1234
Yes, it is. You have exactly what that TSB describes. They didn't prep the aluminum correctly. That's why the paint is not adhering to it. The hood and trunk need to be repainted correctly. Touch up paint won't last at all.
we'll see. all the areas where they resprayed my Expy back in April/June/July/August have become really noticeable lately. I can clearly see the definate edge of every place they worked on it.

I'm expecting the bubbling anytime.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tylus
we'll see. all the areas where they resprayed my Expy back in April/June/July/August have become really noticeable lately. I can clearly see the definate edge of every place they worked on it.

I'm expecting the bubbling anytime.
Did they re-psray whole panels?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2 doors got 100% sprayed. the rear hatch got sprayed about 50% because of all the embedded crap

all 5 doors got sprayed partially on the lower panel interior (under the trim stuff)

the hood got sprayed only on the bottom side and partially on the leading edge/lip

all 4 fender flares were sprayed 100% while on the vehicle...which subsequently led to the damn things sticking to the fenders

and I have alot of overspray on the body side of all 4 doors from when they sprayed the seams to correct the factory missed areas. I love Ford, but damn this experience has really soured me on buying a new one from them. The next one had better be f'ing perfect in the paint area

Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tylus
2 doors got 100% sprayed. the rear hatch got sprayed about 50% because of all the embedded crap

all 5 doors got sprayed partially on the lower panel interior (under the trim stuff)

the hood got sprayed only on the bottom side and partially on the leading edge/lip

all 4 fender flares were sprayed 100% while on the vehicle...which subsequently led to the damn things sticking to the fenders

and I have a lot of over spray on the body side of all 4 doors from when they sprayed the seams to correct the factory missed areas. I love Ford, but damn this experience has really soured me on buying a new one from them. The next one had better be f'ing perfect in the paint area
Yeah, and the paint guys they use are not the greatest. The problem with open blends-anytime you don't paint an entire area and end the paint either under a piece of trim or where it won't get UV is that they feather the clear coat down to nothing. This area that is tapered off will eventually fail because it doesn't have the thickness to withstand the UV and elements. It's cheaper and easier for the painter, but not the right way to do it.

When I had my roof fixed, they did this. Stopped the paint and clear coat halfway down the body. I made them repaint it and do it right. They had to pull the rear quarter windows, etc. They bitched and moaned about how hard it was.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:51 AM
2008 Expy El
New User
Thumbs down

After taking my 08 Expy in 3 times for the leaking rear window (still not fixed) and dealing with the bubbling paint problem, I sold the truck. I loved the truck, but I did not want to deal with these problems anymore. I only had it for a year and I made money on the truck, so I washed my hands of it. I will never buy a Ford again! Back to GM!! Thanks, I enjoyed this Forum!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:19 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 2008 Expy El
After taking my 08 Expy in 3 times for the leaking rear window (still not fixed) and dealing with the bubbling paint problem, I sold the truck. I loved the truck, but I did not want to deal with these problems anymore. I only had it for a year and I made money on the truck, so I washed my hands of it. I will never buy a Ford again! Back to GM!! Thanks, I enjoyed this Forum!
I am glad you have resolution. You did the right thing. Are you getting a Yukon?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Boomer1956
Cross-Country
Everyone listen. Prior to bringing it anywhere. Take photos. My 07 EL Limited had the rear hatch painted at 27k and the chrome badging on each door, the black paInt was comming off so they were to paint the rear and replace all the chrome badging. The dumb SOB's actualy put on badging for a regular Expedition. I have an EL LIMITED. Trying to get that through their heads was terrible. TAKE PICTURES BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING..

Old 05-15-2010, 08:15 AM
zestar
Freshman User
Lightbulb Addressing Ford Paint Peeling Issues

There are different reasons for paint failures ranging from design, application to environment.

Our technology is used within the auto industry for paint durability (film thickness) analysis.

We have investigated over 11,000 Ford vehicles. The same vehicles Ford uses for quality control of their paint operations. We have found that the
majority of the vehicles do not meet Ford's specifications for durability criteria. The paint applied in the majority of cases were too thin.

We have sent a letter to Ford Board of Directors specifically requesting an investigation of their paint supplier contracts. Ford has acknowledged receving the letter.

We are an engineering firm, not a law firm. However, it would make sense for all of us to keep our receipts associated with any paint work done.

Last edited by zestar; 05-15-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Bubbling Paint