2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Bubbling Paint

Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice. How many miles do you have on your truck?

Old 09-03-2009, 01:57 PM
thinksnow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the time they painted it, 35600. I just squeaked in. Ford was not happy about paying it. The body shop manager had to take a bunch of photos and email them in and wait for approval before he could do anything.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by thinksnow
At the time they painted it, 35600. I just squeaked in. Ford was not happy about paying it. The body shop manager had to take a bunch of photos and email them in and wait for approval before he could do anything.
When is Ford ever happy about paying? At least you got it fixed. Did they tell you what it cost? I would guess $1,500?

Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
RED DOG DADDY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah but christ they do it to themselves...i totaled all my reciepts from all 3 paint jobs plus the rentals and it came to almost 29,000 for a 39,000 dollar truck that they could never get right plus now they are forced to buy it back for 33,000 for a grand total of 62,000 thousand....plus im never buying a ford again (hopefully i can get a decent trade for 08 f350) that is if i dont go to BBB for the exhaust smell that has been in for 3 times and they dont smell any thing (just like they didnt see anything wrong with the paint) I have a 97 lifted expy that i really dont want to drive because i feel like its a PRO FORD moving billboard and at this point I would seriously cut off my left nut to stop anyone from buying a ford and going through what i went thru...THAT coupled with paperwork proving that me and my wife buy two new vehicles every 2-2-1/2 years AND PAY CASH.....no wonder ford is a 7 dollar stock and toyota is like what 80 bucks per share....you figure it out..i tried and cant honestly figure out their reasoning... www.floridafordbuyersbeware.com check out the blog section maybe i just expected too much for a measly 39 grand well closer to 90 if you count the f350 i bought the same damn day..........sorry to vent but damn .....chuck

Old 09-03-2009, 03:29 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
I agree. Ford must have spent 10K on my 07 before the bought it back.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 AM
zestar
Freshman User
Lightbulb Helping Automakers with Paint Peeling Issues

Automotive painting is a science.

A typical finish consists of four layers:
1) electrocoat - provides corrosion protection
2) primer - protects electrocoat, stone chip resistance, adhesion
between basecoat and elctrocoat
3) basecoat - provides color to the vehicle
4) clearcoat - sunlight protection, scratch resistance, gloss
and appearance properties

Film thickness is a criteria used by the auto industry to ensure durability.

Each of the 4 layers must be at the proper film thickness specification.

If any of the individual layers is below specification. The vehicle would
be considered a factory paint defect.

A visible manifestation of low film thickness is paint peeling, body rusting and stone chipping.

Since the mid 1990s the auto industry while retaining ownership of the paint facilities have outsourced
the process and quality responsibilities to multiple paint suppliers.

Outsourcing in this application is defined as a process in which a company
assigns its in-house operations to a third party.

Specifics on automotive paint suppliers roles within the facilities may be found in textbooks published
both in Europe and America. The most recent textbook being released in 2008.

The paint suppliers actively market and advertise their outsourcing expertise with terms such as
"Cost Per Unit" or "Pay As Painted" supplier programs. Outsourcing [Cost Per Unit] programs are
common throughout Europe and America within the auto industry.

Not all vehicle flaws are associated with the paint itself, vehicle design and weathering will
impact the vehicle's finish.

It is our opinion that the automaker, auto dealer and consumer should not receive a vehicle painted
below the automaker's film thickness specifications of any of the four layers that comprise a vehicle's finish.

We have analyzed the film thickness data of over 11,000 vehicles and
have found that the measurements are below the automakers' specifications.

Low film thickness will cause paint failures.

Investigation summarized in press releases:
Billions Discovered for Recovery by Automakers
and
New Books Reveal Vehicle Paint Quality Flaws Associated with Outsourcing

A quick internet search for the following:

Toyota Paint Problems, Toyota Paint Peeling
Ford Paint Problems, Ford Paint Peeling
GM Paint Problems, GM Paint Peeling
<NOBR style="COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_34_0>Chrysler</NOBR> Paint Problems, Chrysler Paint Peeling
Honda Paint Problems, Honda Paint Peeling
Nissan Paint Problems, Nissan Paint Peeling

will return results back in the millions.

Public Interest best served by a "Truth in Finish Disclosure"
with the purchase of any vehicle.

The automakers trust their suppliers.

They should receive a finish painted to their specifications....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Old 03-22-2010, 03:02 PM
RED DOG DADDY
Junior User
It didnt have low film thickness. It had 11-14.5 mills THE equivilant of 3 paint jobs.It goes alot deeper than a flawed paint job.Lies Deciet,Trickery...Have you even seen my website? "The automakers trust their suppliers.

They should receive a finish painted to their specifications.... " Sorta makes me think you work for Ford....?????

Old 03-22-2010, 03:20 PM
zestar
Freshman User
Lightbulb High Thickness As Well

Our research concludes that greater than 94% of the vehicles produced were below film thickness specification.

Within our book, it also states that a small percentage were released too thick to the customer.

The reason why a small portion of vehicles is released too thick, is that
they were repeatedly sent through the paint line to cover for other blemishes.
These vehicles should never have been released as well.

We are writing a letter to Ford's Board of Directors on this issue.

We have worked directly in the facilities with Automakers & the Paint Supplier. There have been 2 books
written on the roles of the Paint Vendors within automotive facilities. It describes in detail the process
and quality responsibility the vendors have.

This is not a Ford Issue. It is an auto industry issue.

Our research documents paint issues with other automakers as well.

As a consumer, when we buy gas at a station, we assuming we are recieving a full gallon of gas.
Not 8/10ths or 3/4's.

The automakers are paying for the proper thickness to be applied on each vehicle.

This did not occur.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
zestar
Freshman User
Lightbulb Reviewed Site

Red Dog,

I just reviewed your site.

At the get go, they should have compared your readings with the factory specifications and admitted that it was a factory defect.

We are pushing for a "Truth In Finish Disclosure" to address this problem.

Toyota, Mitsubishi, GM, Honda, etc. all are experiencing paint problems.

Ford's Crown Victoria and police interceptors are experiencing major paint failure issues.
Our research indicates 26 states reporting paint durability issues.

Its absurd that Ford has released a new police interceptor (Taurus),
but have to do a complete repaint of the front section of a new vehicle.

Many automakers have lost their in-house paint expertise due to the Cost Per Unit (Vehicle) contracts that have become the norm in the industry.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:42 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
zestar, who do you represent? The painters union?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RED DOG DADDY
Yeah but christ they do it to themselves...i totaled all my reciepts from all 3 paint jobs plus the rentals and it came to almost 29,000 for a 39,000 dollar truck that they could never get right plus now they are forced to buy it back for 33,000 for a grand total of 62,000 thousand....plus im never buying a ford again (hopefully i can get a decent trade for 08 f350) that is if i dont go to BBB for the exhaust smell that has been in for 3 times and they dont smell any thing (just like they didnt see anything wrong with the paint) I have a 97 lifted expy that i really dont want to drive because i feel like its a PRO FORD moving billboard and at this point I would seriously cut off my left nut to stop anyone from buying a ford and going through what i went thru...THAT coupled with paperwork proving that me and my wife buy two new vehicles every 2-2-1/2 years AND PAY CASH.....no wonder ford is a 7 dollar stock and toyota is like what 80 bucks per share....you figure it out..i tried and cant honestly figure out their reasoning... Home Page check out the blog section maybe i just expected too much for a measly 39 grand well closer to 90 if you count the f350 i bought the same damn day..........sorry to vent but damn .....chuck

Chuck, the main point in all this is no one cares-I mean Ford or the dealers. A few lemons here and there are nothing compared to millions Ford makes. My 2007 had I would guess close to 10K in repairs before the bought it back. The dealer didn't care, Ford didn't care. We are inconsequential to them and always will be. They will not change.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
zestar
Freshman User
Lightbulb Advocating a Truth In Finish Disclosure

Our technology is a Best Practice within the auto industry for paint
durability criteria. We analyzed the data that was used for control
of production vehicles leaving the facility and found that millions of
defective units were released below specification.

Additionally, the percentage of units that were too thick should
never have been sent to the customer.

We are writing a letter to Ford's Board of Directors because that is
the only forum that will acknowledge receipt of an inquiry.

Our research concludes approximately 25 million Ford vehicles were released as defective.

Other automakers have released defective vehicles as well.

In our opinion, the paint suppliers owe Ford and other automakers
billions of dollars for defective factory finishes.

Look at the position, we find ourselves in:
1) Automaker Not Pleased with our Findings: It is an Embarassment
2) Dealer Not Pleased with Our Findings: Another Emarrasment
3) Consumer Not Pleased with our Findings: It's Not Anti-Auto
4) Paint Suppliers Not Pleased With Us: Exposes Paint Industry
Fleecing the Auto Industry (Ford Overpaid ~$2.7 Billion).

In our opinion, the automakers need to step up on this and acknowledge the issue.

In our opinion, Ford has become complacent on this issue.
They have recently lost Paint Peeling litigation.
They continue to ignore similar complaints with vehicles off the same assembly line
and /or with the same issue.

We are advocating change where paint issues are examined with objective
criteria, rather than subjective opinion.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:20 PM
RED DOG DADDY
Junior User
In our opinion, Ford has become complacent on this issue.
They have recently lost Paint Peeling litigation....Hell yeah they just lost over 90 grand in a BBB buyback. thats just repaints and buyback alone. they paid officeworkers postage expert witnesses......and probably alot of other people i never thought about....Id still be a true blue oval diehard fan if they would of helped me to start with.....I was met with brickwalls everywhere i went..The BBB FORCED ford to paint repaint and re repaint my vehicle..And the BBB FORCED Ford to buy it back because of shoddy workmanship...Ford never helped me except only when they were FORCED to,by the BBB And I dont care who YOU are. 8 to 80 ,blind, black, crippled,crazy,if you cant walk ill ****ing drag you THAT WAS JUST WRONG

Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 PM
RED DOG DADDY
Junior User
Originally Posted by berry1234
Chuck, the main point in all this is no one cares-I mean Ford or the dealers. A few lemons here and there are nothing compared to millions Ford makes. My 2007 had I would guess close to 10K in repairs before the bought it back. The dealer didn't care, Ford didn't care. We are inconsequential to them and always will be. They will not change.
Your right Im done... this thread is how old?...thats what made me think this dude was from Ford..I had dozens of these dudes on the site ...i just quit answering the post and deleted em...because your right no one cares...no one and im hungry so f... it its over i won... still hurts tho even though i won ....chuck

Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RED DOG DADDY
Your right Im done... this thread is how old?...thats what made me think this dude was from Ford..I had dozens of these dudes on the site ...i just quit answering the post and deleted em...because your right no one cares...no one and im hungry so f... it its over i won... still hurts tho even though i won ....chuck
I hear you man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bubbling Paint