Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

The Trico-Folberth and other air-pressure wiper motor thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:23 PM
ArciniegaA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok after playing with motors and controls more today I've figured out what you mean. When I play with control valve more it quits leaking out of the regulator while on park meaning something is leaking in control valve. How about the pin hole on the back of the control valve. While running one of the motors air comes out of that hole as well. But without a wiper blade on the motor seems strong enough to run one. Guess I'll find that out later. Also are there specific places you know that you could buy seal kits or is Google your only suggestion still? I'm usually pretty good at finding anything via Internet but seems with this semi I'm working on I never have much luck on the older stuff. I've only found used motors and not many controls if any. They've been taken apart already and cleaned but not resealed so be nice to find actual kits if I could for both motor and control.

Last edited by ArciniegaA; 06-22-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Forgot question.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:49 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Yes, sounds like the control is screwy. Open it up, it ain't hard to check out. It may just be dirt under the rubber/plastic/whatever "cam". The o-ring on the shaft of the control can be had from a local hardware store with a big o-ring assortment. The big o-ring that seals the body of the control, I'm not sure about, but never had one that couldn't be greased a little and reused.

If the cam is too cruddy to seal, you can use light machine oil, and a piece of 400/600 grit grey "wet/dry?" paper on a flat surface, rub the cam on the paper in a circular motion (wax on/wax off) and resurface it. If the control body where the cam seals to is rough, that can be done the same way. Takes a while, but it can be done.

Let me know how it works out.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:56 PM
ArciniegaA
New User
Well the good news is we actually got rebuild kits for control valves. The bad news is I'm getting frustrated trying to get things back together. The kit shows which order components go in and I understand that part it's just I can't understand the function maybe of how the handle works. I assume air comes in top hole fills cavity and when hole is over park on slide valve air exits the park port and same for run. Don't get why there's an extra little bit of turning of the handle against spring tension. Idk seems I had the one together right as it makes the motor function correctly just leaks air. So I'm in middle of figuring out putting them together then can let you know if I got them. Piddly stuff like this makes me feel pretty incompetent as I'm sure I'm just over thinking it.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:23 PM
ArciniegaA
New User
Ok finally I got them both working fine. Seems when you park it you turn it to the right past spring tension which exhausts some air then everything sits still leak free. One of the problems was I had a valve that is "backwards" meaning the turn left for run and right for Park doesn't work on it as the ports are opposite of the other control valve. Went out to an old semi and pulled off same valve and plugged it in and now everything appears to work fine. Thank you for the help.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:34 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
The control doesn't stay in the "Park" position, it's supposed to bounce back to just "off".

Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 PM
ArciniegaA
New User
Ok well it does the spring return and everything stays still and no air leaks.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:01 AM
roKWiz
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a Trico air wiper and parts PDF manual if I can figure out how to post it here.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:41 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by roKWiz
I have a Trico air wiper and parts PDF manual if I can figure out how to post it here.
I can put up attachments, email me.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:25 PM
roKWiz
Mountain Pass
Trico and Prague air wiper manuals

Krewat, Sent you an email.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:09 AM
roKWiz
Mountain Pass
Hi Krewat,
I just reply to your email, hope that works.
Geoff

Old 09-24-2015, 05:00 PM
roKWiz
Mountain Pass
trico info

Hey Krewat, did you manage to post up this information anywhere for others to use. ?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by roKWiz
Hey Krewat, did you manage to post up this information anywhere for others to use. ?
Wow, sorry, completely forgot about this... I'll take care of it this weekend.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:05 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Posted manual

I'm in the process of re-conditioning my wiper motor from my '50 F1. The one smaller gasket/seal was completely dried out so I cut a rubber one amd installed it. Opened up the larger compartment of the motor and felt it should maybe be left untouched, but while I've got it apart should probably clean it. Fear is might not get a gasket/seal if it is required.

I would definitely be interested in seeing maual posted if you are still thinking about it.

Tom

Old 12-01-2015, 09:45 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Dang, I completely forgot about that.

tip49, your motor, is it cylindrical? Or is it a vacuum motor? F1's usually don't come with air-pressure motors, usually vacuum motors.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:47 PM
krewat
Site Administrator

Quick Reply: The Trico-Folberth and other air-pressure wiper motor thread