1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 headlight nasty - want a clear one

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 AM
JTATMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 headlight nasty - want a clear one

I have a 01 - F350 with the old nasty yellowing headlights. I know you can polish them or whatever but would like to just put the clear style like some of the newer 04 or up has. I have been doing some searches on here but have not found the answer or part #, brand, picture of the replacement headlight. Is there an easy way to do this without splicing harness, adding relays,ect ? Any guidance would be gladly appreciated. I will keep on searching the forum in the mean time.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 AM
sphinx
Senior User
A couple of years ago I had a woman pull out in front of me in the rain and I broadsided her. I was doing 55 right before it happened. Her mitsubishi looked like a crumpled beer can and she got a trip to the hospital. My 99, got a bent front bumper, broken grill and lights on both sides. I drove home, as a matter of fact it didn't even knock the pepsi can out of the drink holder.
When I had it in my buddies shop getting it fixed, I had him replace all the damaged parts with 04' parts, same price and they bolted right up. Lights too.
So long story short, yeah you can swap them out and not have to screw with wires.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
JTATMAN
Senior User
Do you have a picture of your headlights on your truck? I have been searching and there are so many different deals out there. I like the Jewel lens from Ford but I saw the Eagle Eye projector lamps & install video. God, there are too many choices & some of these guys are spending huge bucks to change out the headlights.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
02-04 trucks have the clear headlights and a clear turn signal instead of the yellow one you have under your headlights. It's a simple direct swap to upgrade to the 02-04 lights. The 05 - 07 lights are clear and have a different look to them. Upgrading to the 05-07 lights will require trimming the header panel and getting some socket adapters to run the different bulbs.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 AM
sphinx
Senior User
The only thing I would do different is this time I would buy oem replacements. The repos I got , I think they were keystone, scattered the headlight beam. You could see fine and oncoming traffic wasn't bothered but looking at the road in front of you it looked like you had something spattered on your lights. i.e. dark spots in the projected light.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 AM
JTATMAN
Senior User
f350-6 , thanks for the info. I have narrowed my search down to the jewel type 2002-2004 but wanting to see another picture of these headlights to make sure these are the ones I want. I saw a 04 dually with these on another thread & just wanting to double check before I order them. Its way easier to put them in versus cutting, splicing, and paying big bucks for the newer style. Thanks again.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 AM
JTATMAN
Senior User
sphinx, thanks for the pics - 04 headlights is the route im going. Jsut plain easier, and more cost effective approach to ditch the old 01 style. thanks again.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We have a ton of headlights in stock over here.Here's a link to that section of our website if you would like to check it out.

Ford Truck Replacement Headlights

Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
JTATMAN
Senior User
I have already been to your website and looked at these. Where are they made - USA or China. I will spend the extra money & buy Ford OEM units over China units any day of the week.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:06 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JTATMAN
I have already been to your website and looked at these. Where are they made - USA or China. I will spend the extra money & buy Ford OEM units over China units any day of the week.
The ones that we carry are made in Taiwan. We do not carry parts made from China.Taiwan has better quality.

Your OEM ones are more than likely from Taiwan also.

Tony

Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM
JTATMAN
Senior User
Tony, I understand what your saying & I have bought some stuff from you guys before. I am a buyer for a injection molding company & I deal with China & Taiwan daily for my customers. Well they might as well be the same to me, terrible quality, service, leadtime, ect. I have bought some knock off parking lights for my Camry. They were made overseas, they leak since they were not ultrasonic welded correct, gaskets were junk, the molded parts were junk. I have also read alot of threads on here today with dissatisfied guys who bought the cheaper knock offs and they disperse the light differently versus the oem ones. The saying holds true in my book - ** " you get what you pay for "**. Sorry but I will be buying OEM Ford lens for my truck.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:25 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JTATMAN
Tony, I understand what your saying & I have bought some stuff from you guys before. I am a buyer for a injection molding company & I deal with China & Taiwan daily for my customers. Well they might as well be the same to me, terrible quality, service, leadtime, ect. I have bought some knock off parking lights for my Camry. They were made overseas, they leak since they were not ultrasonic welded correct, gaskets were junk, the molded parts were junk. I have also read alot of threads on here today with dissatisfied guys who bought the cheaper knock offs and they disperse the light differently versus the oem ones. The saying holds true in my book - ** " you get what you pay for "**. Sorry but I will be buying OEM Ford lens for my truck.
That's fine.What we do here is visit the factory in Taiwan and inspect the factory making the parts to see what it looks like and what the process is to seal a headlight or to stamp out a gas tank.

So we do go through great lengths in an effort to make our customers happy. Actually one of the times we were over there our CEO explained to them to heat seal the plastic lenses onto the backing instead of gluing them (they changed this a while ago).

Just giving some insight on what we're about.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Several people are touching on the critical functional factor here - it is not just the appearance of the light, but how well the reflector is shaped and how well the element is positioned in the assembly to provide accurate focus.

I am yet to see a single "inexpensive" replacement headlight that has a precisely focused beam. While it's not impossible, I just haven't seen it yet. I have had good luck with high end lenses that come from companies that pride themselves on engineering and quality rather than low cost. They tend to be from European companies like Hella.

And unfortunately, even some OE lights are terrible as well. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try them.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
stock '99 headlights w/ aftermarket clear corners:

stock '03 headlights i bought used from someone:

they were a direct replacement (after finding the upper mounts for the '03 lights; they were different than the 99's), and the lighting is much improved.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
That's a great looking truck.Those lights look great on there.

Quick Reply: 01 headlight nasty - want a clear one