1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Buying an old truck - what to avoid/get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
chanman17
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying an old truck - what to avoid/get?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first old truck. I commute to work 30 miles round trip per day, and sometimes take 90 mile roundtrip day trips. I'm looking for something that is reasonably reliable for a 1970's model. My question is, is it reasonable to drive a 1970s truck as your primary car?

I don't expect to get great gas mileage. I live in San Diego and have been looking around. I drove this the other day:
See Image Below.

It seems to drive fine, although I have no mechanical knowledge when it comes to the underworkings of a car.

Basically, I want an old truck that is reliable. Is a 460 too big? Is there much difference b/w a 460 and 350?

Thanks for your help,
Michael

Last edited by chanman17; 08-04-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: attached img instead of URL
Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would steer clear of that truck unless the tranny or engine was rebuilt recently. It towed a 5th wheel and probrably took a beating. A lot of trucks pop up for around this price in San Diego-where I am from, I would keep looking. A truck with a C6 is a good choice as it's a tough tranny.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:14 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Exxon/Mobil would love for us all to have a 1970's truck as our primary vehicle lol, as long as fuel economy is not a major concern you couldn't find i more dependable truck than a 73-79 Ford, many guys use them as their daily drivers, these trucks are easy to work on even for the novice, with a good repair manual and a little bit of mechanical knowledge you can pretty much make any repairs yourself, when i go to look at these trucks i'm mostly concerned with getting a solid truck (rust free) though in your area this shouldn't be a problem, in other parts of the country the core support, cab mounts, floor pans and rear wheel wells are very prone to rust damage.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 PM
ShamelessMT
Elder User
This is a tough one. I personally drive my truck about 25 miles a day with a 4-500 mile trip thrown in about once a month. However, I paid about the same for a 4x4 as that 2wd truck is listed for and then have spent an additional $10,000 or so maintaining/improving it (and I do 90% of the work myself) in the 4 years I've owned it. I've replaced just about everything mechanical on my truck (some things twice). At this point, I'm not afraid to drive my truck anywhere in the nation at any time, but 4 years ago I usually dreaded a trip of more than 200 miles away. Back then, I had a back-up car that I used strictly for long highway trips.

The one big problem with a vehicle of this vintage is that if it's all original, it's going to fail at some point. 30 year old parts get worn out. 80% of the time it'll be something simple and easily fixed if you have the knowledge. If you don't have much mechanical knowledge, you're going to be paying a shop every time this happens and it's going to cost you lots of money and every time something breaks you have no vehicle until they get it fixed.

I love these trucks (this is my 6th one), but I also love to work on them, so it all works out for me. In your case, you need to evaluate exactly why you'd buy one. If you're strictly needing a commuter vehicle you'd probably be better off buying a Honda car (or something of that sort). If you're willing to invest the time and money into making the truck reliable enough, go ahead, but know what you're getting into.

Also, I'd never pay more than $1000 for an original (no rebuilt motor-no rebuilt trans) 2wd. Those are really easy to find and usually listed for way more than they're worth.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ShamelessMT

Also, I'd never pay more than $1000 for an original (no rebuilt motor-no rebuilt trans) 2wd. Those are really easy to find and usually listed for way more than they're worth.
This is the key. You would be better getting one that the motor/trans/carb has been rebuilt at least.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
I have 2 MUCH better looking trucks, in MUCH better shape for sale, so I agree with above, not the best buy out there. Again, as was stated, unless YOU are going to do the work and learn about these old trucks, your maint. bill will kill your joy very quickly....
They are great solid dependable trucks, and I use mine as daily drivers, however you have to understand they are old and things quit working, (like the fuel pump on my 73) and if you are paying someone to fix it, it will quadtriple the cost, but if you are slightly mechanical and can read, the GREAT news is that YOU can fix it!!!!
Beings we are in the great communist state of Kalifornia, stick to 1975 and older, they don't require smog, so there is less crap to worry about breaking or fixing. Yes there is a HUGE difference from a 460 to anything else, you won't find a 350 in one of these, if you do RUN!! You can find them with a plethora of engines, Obiviously, the straight 6 300 will return your best mileage USUALLY, with the 460 being the other way. If it is not an issue, there are many choices, if you find a 460 and a C6 combo, or 4 speed, usually a good choice.
That one however looks like she has been rode hard and put away wet...

BTW Welcome to FTE, lots of good stuff here, and a few sick twisted crazies!

Good Luck

Last edited by Pickupmanx2; 08-04-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to Welcome
Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
well as the others have said steer clear the first couple pictures I was thinking well it ain't bad yet but then I saw the 5th wheel hitch and said no 5th wheels are heavy and hard on trucks you can pretty much bet that suspension engine and tranny rebuild would be required on that. I would just keep looking around I live in a town of about 100k people and these trucks are everywhere so IO would think san diego you should be able to find a good few laying around who need love. If you have a weekend spend time trowling the suburbs there is bound to be someone selling who hasn't the time or know how to use the internet.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
chanman17
New User
OK - you guys are really helpful. I can tell this is the place to be for knowledge. Thanks!

I've been looking on craigslist in San Diego. I'll keep looking. You've convinced me that's not the best buy. Although, it seems most sellers are willing to negotiate.

The suggestion of pre-1976 to avoid smog is a good one. I also think a 460 is excessive for my needs. Don't necessarily need 4WD either. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm just looking for an "old truck" that's reliable. Based on what I'm seeing I can probably get something b/w 1K-2K.

Thanks again! (and remember, whatever you suggest I'll be here a few months later asking you for repair advice!)

Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
ShamelessMT
Elder User
Originally Posted by chanman17
I'm just looking for an "old truck" that's reliable. Based on what I'm seeing I can probably get something b/w 1K-2K.
Reliable is relative. I would not call a $1-2000 truck reliable (you might get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it). A $3-4000 truck will usually be a lot safer bet.

As far as it goes for you, if $1-2000 is your price range I'd look for a '77-'79 half or 3/4 ton 2wd with a 300 I6. Even with the smog BS in CA, it shouldn't be that bad to get one to pass. Just make sure that it has been passing smog previously (avoid buying one that's non-op). The reason why I'd go with one of these is that the straight 6 is super simple to work on, runs forever and gets good gas mileage. Also, '77 and newer means that you get shoulder belts and disc brakes, both good things to have. Furthermore, straight 6's aren't usually as desirable (most people want a big V8) so the price is typically more reasonable.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
Basiccly what it comes down to is see if you can hop in and drive it around if you think it is a wet noodle it is a wet noodle and you know wehat you can afford to spend and what they say is you get what you pay for with a few exceptions like mine.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
chanman17
New User
I'm willing to spend more if necessary. Just trying to start small and learn as I go I suppose. Good point on the shoulder belts.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
If you are worried about what you are buying take a digi camera out ith you and take some pictures bring um back and show us I am sure everyone here would be happy to sort out the crap and find the golden turd with you

Old 08-04-2009, 04:24 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
I saw a 4x4 79 F150 in the san diego craigs list for $2900. It's a lot more but the engine and tranny have been rebuilt.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
chanman17
New User
Yeah, I think you're talking about this:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1292818491.html

What I don't like about that is the lift kit and the roll bars with lights. I want to kick it old school country style, not off roading monster truck style!

Old 08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
send us the link and we can look I love to loko at vehicles it is my past time I spend hours sometime looking on ebay and craigslist just to look

Quick Reply: Buying an old truck - what to avoid/get?