Notices

How does the new Raptor compare to its competitors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 PM
T8ter
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobo
I have also read about the complaints in regards to the 07 and 08 model year Tundras, but I have not experienced any issues. Unfortunately like any internet forum, including this one, people with problems congregate to bitch or try to figure out fixes. So going by what you see online is not always a great representation of the truth.

The only issue I thought I has was the bed bounce issue on some stretches of pavement, but riding in a friend's truck (GMC) proved that to not be a unique issue with the Tundra over that stretch of road. The road just sucks. Like most any other truck the Tundra rides 100% better with a load on. As for the rust issues, if you live in a state that salts the crap out of the roads, you will get rust. Never had a vehicle that didn't rust on the under carriage. The Tundra has a little bit of rust starting where rocks have chipped away at the suspension/springs/rear axle. About what I would expect. No issues at all with the dirveshaft, but I do have a bitch with the owners manual showing 8 grease fittings when there are only 5. At least once you figure out that the 3 missing ones just don't exist, the other 5 are pretty easy to access. No electrical issues at all, unless you want to count my satellite radio becoming disoriented every once in a while in the hills when the signal is blocked.

I am not completely sold on the tailgate though, I dislike the access plate on the inside of the gate as it seems less sturdy than I would like. I also managed to dent the inside sheet metal letting my fat *** 275lb buddy ride his broke *** 750lb Hardley Ableson into the bed using the gate as a bridge off of a retaining wall. Not sure if the gate is to blame or just bad judgement on my part. Either way no harm no foul, it's just a small dent and doesn't affect anything. Maybe I'll try to convince Toyota to replace it with the updated version.

All that said I have been really pleased with the truck. It gets good fuel economy for what it is (I average 17-18mpg on the highway), and as you might expect engine performance is very strong. Hopefully it will continue to be trouble free but if it proves not to be I have quite a bit of confidence in Toyota and my dealer to put things right. For the most part those issues I have heard about have been handled pretty swiftly by Toyota. No mechanical object is perfect or imune to defects in materials or workmanship, so buying from a company that will fix things right is very important. I've had mixed luck with Ford in the past on fixing things correctly, but that has been a quite a few years ago. Seems like they are trying to change. Hope they do, since they make a good looking truck.
You bought JAPCRAP It don`t matter how you spin it!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Huck BB62
Senior User
Been living with the Raptor

It's a fantastic daily driver. The danged thing is awesome. I love the truck. Despite being wider than a Hummer H1, it doesn't feel like the Titanic.

I think I'll keep it.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Originally Posted by T8ter
You bought JAPCRAP It don`t matter how you spin it!
If by this you mean a truck designed and built in the United States, then, well,,, errrr,,, no.

Wake up, it is 2009 not 1979.

-mike

Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 PM
benz5521
New User
I would love to see a Ranger version of this with a V8. That would be a sick truck. I'm liking the Raptor but it's just so big, which is why I'm leaning towards building a Ranger or doing a Nissan Frontier with the Titan front end conversion which widens it 6". With a Stillen blower it puts out 320 to the wheels. May do something like that and see how it stacks up against the Raptor.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 AM
74 F100 4x4
New User
Originally Posted by 92f150I6
The Dodge Power wagon was a vehicle of this type designed with offroading in mind. If they still offer it.
they do, my friend just orderd one

Old 12-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by V8EXPLR
True neither the Raptor nor PowerWagon are true rock crawling type 4-wheelers, but when compared, the Raptor has the upperhand in most aspects regarding the rock crawl.

No articulation in the Raptor?

Now in the aftermarket rock crawling scene, those numbers aren't eye popping, but the PowerWagon doesn't have nearly that much suspension travel from all reports I've read and is almost unheard of form any stock vehicle.
The '10 PowerWagon has over 32" of front suspension travel with the sway bar disconnected. I also read from a multitude of sites that the skid plating on the new Power Wagon is far better then the Raptors, and much more suited for climbing over rocks.
Here is pictures of the old '05 Power Wagon to see the suspension travel.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Huck BB62
Senior User
Not the whole story though

RTI is cool, but not the end all. The Raptor is WIDE, and it's CG is LOW compared to the Ram. Anyone pucker up on a serious sidehill? I have, I'll take lower CG and wider wheel track any day. A Raptor's track is wider than a Hummer H1, now that's impressive.

The wheel travel may be a lot on a RAM, but the utilization and capability of it is entirely different. A Raptor comes stock with 35s, it has great ground clearance. If you wanted serious skids, it wouldn't take that much to use the stockers for templates and make some serious ones up or screw that ultra dense super slick plastic to it. They do already make an upgraded skid plate.

Another, almost miracle like feature on the Raptor: The hill descent mode. Ever get stuck on a big gnarly climb? It's VERY hard to back down without risking sliding sideways and cartwheeling your truck into a yard sale oblivion. Not so with the Raptor, just drive it down. That means that you don't have to pull half a seat's worth of upholstery out of your butt crack anymore!

To me, my offroading needs get met on an ATV. My boonyin' in my truck is not super hard trails. The Raptor will go down rough roads, wider trails at speeds that will simply dismantle any other truck, including the Ram.

In fact, watch the new Ram commercial, it says in small print during the bashing of their truck "Do not attempt" Fine, I won't, not in a Ram anyway!!!!

I like the Power Wagon, but the Raptor has a lot to offer too. BOTH trucks are too darned wide for most gnarly trails. I think that seeing what Ford's done with the Raptor, I'd LOVE to see what they could do for the hard core crowd with the Ranger!!! I'm just sayin'...

Last edited by Huck BB62; 12-26-2009 at 01:28 AM. Reason: more info