Oil & Lubrication  

Toilet paper oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 07:51 PM
El Guapo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toilet paper oil filters

Any else remember the toilet paper oil filter kits that JC Whitney and other places used to sell?

Haven't seen them for a long time- Not that I really want to get one.
Did anyone actually use one of the things? The filter kits, that is, I don't want to know about the toilet paper.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:37 PM
Ron_Renita
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toilet paper oil filters

Yep, remember them.
You can go to www.gulfcoastfilter.com and see their version. Smaller ones use roll of toilet paper and the bigger filters use a roll of paper towels.

'02 F-350 XLT 4X2 CC SRW V-10 6sp 4.30 Az. Beige

Old 04-09-2002, 10:15 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toilet paper oil filters

I remember those too. There was one on a jeep in the shop I took a few classes in and the owner had no squawks. I have read that they actually do a decent job but there is the potential that the paper may disintegrate and then clog things up. I guess it depends on the quality of the paper. Plus some papers now have skin lotions and stuff for your tender behind, whihc I guess isn't so good for engines.

I would stick with regular oil filters, they are good and relatively cheap, plus no one will kill your warranty because you didn't meet factory spec.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 04-09-2002, 12:09 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Post Toilet paper oil filters

Oh yes! The Frantz toilet paper oil filter. It was sold by network marketing, much like Amsoil is sold today.

The problem with these is that they are bypass, not full-flow. This means that oil flow available to the bearings and lifters is reduced and unfiltered, while some of the oil is filtered and dumped back into the pan. I added a bypass filter (spin-on, not Frantz) to the old VW, which had no factory filter at all, but I also added a higher volume oil pump.

Old 04-09-2002, 01:46 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Toilet paper oil filters

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Apr-02 AT 02:51 PM (EST)]

Old 04-10-2002, 03:21 PM
Bull
Senior User
Toilet paper oil filters

If toilet papers are designed to disintegrate in toilet bowls, how can it withstand hot oil?

Old 04-11-2002, 09:37 PM
ddaa
New User
Toilet paper oil filters

I have a "Toilet paper Oil Filter" made by Frantz. It uses an adapter that fits where the spin on filter goes. A small amount of the oil goes up the center of the tube and then filters down inbetween the paper sheets. Toilet paper doesnt disintegrate in oil. Reportedly if there is any moisture in the oil it will absorb it, decreasing acid production. The manufacturer recomends changing the toilet paper roll every 2000 miles and adding another quart of oil. I learned about it from one of the Doc's I work with who uses it in all his vehicles. His 3 year old Navigator has never had the oil changed, but when the oil is wiped on a towel it is clean. I cant go that long, so I change my once a year. I am happy with the results thus far. It was weird however drilling a hole in the oil pan for the drain line. For the older set, this is basically the same system that older tractors use to use. I figure the extra filtration isnt going to hurt, the oil pressure did not change with the valve in the oil pump. But this is not for everyone.

Old 04-15-2002, 03:00 AM
mikemc
Elder User
Toilet paper oil filters

Old 04-13-2009, 08:25 PM
tycham
Freshman User
Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Freaksh0w
Elder User
Your friend's Navigator won't last another 3 years. I bet his current oil has no TBN left. Color of oil means nothing. Well, it means it's holding some 'contaminants'. Black oil does not = Burnt oil.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 AM
tycham
Freshman User
I don't see a reference to a Navigator. I do know that most bypass systems depend on a paper system. FS2500 is based on a paper towel rolls, the others on shorter TP rolls. I also know that my oil changes (60 gal each on 39 engines) at 500 hours show no significant downgrading of oil or additives. I am negoiating now on extending the changes to 1000 hours. BTW 500 hours is equal to about 50000 miles of under load operating. The US Navy did a study on TP bypass filters and concluded that they were very effected and spec them on heavy use engines

Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Freaksh0w
Your friend's Navigator won't last another 3 years. I bet his current oil has no TBN left. Color of oil means nothing. Well, it means it's holding some 'contaminants'. Black oil does not = Burnt oil.
It is vital to do used oil analysis to validate extended drain intervals, regardless of oil or filtration type.

Jim

Old 06-14-2009, 12:39 PM
dtpatt21
Junior User
I hate ignorant posts about a Frantz filter. "you vehicle won't last" go to bobistheoil.com and look at their bypass filter forum if you want to get educated. Cellulose(paper) gets stronger in oil... It's been proven by millions of miles of driving and UOA's. Many people just change the filter element every 2k miles, send in a sample, add a qt and go...

Old 06-14-2009, 01:54 PM
tycham
Freshman User
I agree. I have put of 1,400,000 miles on various car/trucks since the 60's without a single engine problem. I also use one on m Rotax engine in my ultralight. Never had a bad oil analyst.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
I have to laugh, back in the 1950's the franz "family" drove a new caddy 300,000 miles w/o an oil change!
While the additives do decrease over time, what the "anti-tp experts" don't know is that Franz has a recommended tp filter change frequency- depending on mileage, usually about every other month, given the 1qt of new oil added to the system, there are more than enough refreshed additives.

Yes, the TP will take the "extreme heat of oil"
No the tp doesn't breakdown and deposit inside the engine (the design was changed in 1987 to completely eliminate even a remote possibility

and if they are really so bad, why does every kenworth diesel truck have a paper- towel bypass filter on it from the factory!...just a bigger version to the tp filter!

They do work,

They are extremely effective
and even remove water from the oil which is the #1 impactor to creating acid inside the oil pan! an importatnt thing for engines driven rarely or short distances!

Quick Reply: Toilet paper oil filters