1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1999 Ranger Won't Start???Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
allyfl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Ranger Won't Start???Help Please!

I have a '99 Ranger (V6, 4.0L) at about 130,000 miles. I'm in south FL so it's very hot and humid. I service it regularly. The check engine light comes on and off seemingly as it pleases. The truck was running fine two nights ago. Yesterday morning it wouldn't start. I put the keys in the ignition, the lights came on and the starter clicked but the engine didn't turn over then the lights cut off. I turned the key again; this time no click but the lights came on and went off immediately. The third time, no click or lights. I tried jumping it but that didn't work. Last night my friend took the battery to be tested; it tested good and as holding a charge. He put the battery back in, tried starting the car, nothing. He cleaned off the ports and cables of corrosion really well. It started and ran just fine. About two hours later I checked to make sure it would still start/run and it did. This morning I tried stating and it did the same exact thing as yesterday morning. It's been about 8 hours, I opened the door and my dome light came on, closed the door, engine didn't start at all, opened the door and my dome light wouldn't even come on again. What are some possible causes for this? Any knowledgeable suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

It sounds like you have a battery connection problem.

Seeing as how messing with & cleaning the battery cable connectors & battery posts helped, have a good close look at the condition of the battery cable clamps, the wire insulation that goes into the clamp for damage & to see if you detect any corrosion there on the cables wire strands, under the inulation. If so, the wire strands inside the clamp could be corroded & causing a poor connection & voltage drop.

Also be sure the battery cable clamps are installed squarely & properly tightened on the battery post, as both have recently been removed.

If all that checks ok, then check the B- cables ground connection, it too should be clean, bright & tight.

If that checks out, then inspect the B+ cables connection at the starter & at the underhood power distribution box.

From your description though, right now it really sounds like the problem is at the battery post connections, or maybe the ground connection,

If you have a multimeter, do a voltage drop test on the battery cables & the connection between the battery post & cable clamps & between the B- battery post & the B- battery cables ground connection to the engine.

If all that checks out ok, then turn the headlights on & begin to wiggle the battery cables at the battery post & at their terminal points & see if it'll wake up!!!!

Let us kow what you find.