Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2009, 02:40 PM
New User

ProActive is starting off with a positive reputation.
adding factory backup camera to back of camper

We have an 2008 F-450 SD KR with backup camera with the monitor in the rear view mirror and we love it. first time my wife tried to hookup the trailer she was successful which is a huge improvement over 2-people operation or trial and error.

what we would like to do now is to add a new camera to the back of a camper. the idea being that we would plug into the same under bed connection used for the tailgate mounted camera then when we have the camper hooked-up and want to backup to a trailer we have the camera available as well. so, any suggestions on where we can buy an additional camera? how about matching the factory plug for the existing camera?

any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM
New User

jlmorrissey is starting off with a positive reputation.
jlmorrissey

I have the same request. did you ever figure it out?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 AM
WV Chapter LDR

Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.
partsguymatt PartsGuyMatt mvose OVC Archion
I believe the best and easiest bet would be to source a replacement camera from the dealer or a recycler, as well as the connector or pigtail. From that point it is a matter of extending the wiring the length of your trailer and fabbing up a mount for the rear of the trailer.
#22needsaface - Help serve those who served you.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:09 PM
New User

I ordered the factory harness from the dealer and it worked great! My camper back up camera plugs in like the tailgate and displays in my factory mirror.
The only wire I didn’t use was the shielded ground. I used CS-UCCD commercial camera (W/RCA plug) 2. CS-RCA25 RCA cable 3. CS-GMVSS1 RCA pigtail for tapping into the factory harness wires with video cable from camera source.
Connection was to
Video hot and ground
Power hot and ground

Now i unplug the tailgate camera and plug in the camper camera.
I would be happy to Provide pictures and wire diageam
jlmorrissey1@gmail.com

John Morrissey
Old 12-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
You say you ordered the harness.....

did it include the camera for the rear of the RV ?

please post pics and part numbers / cost if u don't mind...
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 12-26-2012, 05:00 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProActive View Post
We have an 2008 F-450 SD KR with backup camera with the monitor in the rear view mirror and we love it. first time my wife tried to hookup the trailer she was successful which is a huge improvement over 2-people operation or trial and error.

what we would like to do now is to add a new camera to the back of a camper. the idea being that we would plug into the same under bed connection used for the tailgate mounted camera then when we have the camper hooked-up and want to backup to a trailer we have the camera available as well. so, any suggestions on where we can buy an additional camera? how about matching the factory plug for the existing camera?

any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
I bought a camera from camera source with the GM adapter to take the RCA cable to a hot and ground lead. I bought the factory plug that goes to the tailgate camera, about $30. And wired it to the camera. Worked great now my camper and tagate plug in the same. All for under $200
Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 PM
New User

How can I post pics?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 PM